voltage data logger - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Industrial Electrical Forum

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By brian john
  • 1 Post By gpop
  • 2 Post By Cow

Old 11-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,164
Default voltage data logger

Last week we had a glitch that could be just about anything. The only facts are the lights went off then came back on (hps so they had to cool down before restarting), florescent lights dimmed for 2-10 seconds (hard to get a real time from a operator) and from the plc trends it looks like 50-60% of the analog sensors rebooted.

Long story short we had a 25kv cable splice fail about a month ago so any glitch is now being brought to the top of the pile and they want someone to do something.

Ok thats the background now for the problem. The amprobe data recorder just got sent back as un-repairable so im in need of a new data recorder or i need to rent one for a week to monitor 480v 3 phase.

Any suggestions. Something under $2000 would be preferable as that can be purchased with out a bunch of signatures but if it costs more then its not that big of a deal.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2018, 06:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpop View Post

Ok thats the background now for the problem. The amprobe data recorder just got sent back as un-repairable so im in need of a new data recorder or i need to rent one for a week to monitor 480v 3 phase.

Any suggestions. Something under $2000 would be preferable as that can be purchased with out a bunch of signatures but if it costs more then its not that big of a deal.

I REALLY Like the fluke 1750 Own 6 of them and are easy to set up great report writer.

I also use a Hioki

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/hi...ioki%203169-20
The_Modifier likes this.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
I REALLY Like the fluke 1750 Own 6 of them and are easy to set up great report writer.

I also use a Hioki

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/hi...ioki%203169-20
For the amount of use it will get the fluke is probably over kill so i will ask them to look at the hioki as it looks like it will do what i need plus more.

One day they need to get a siemens and sq d engineer on site to see what it would take to get the 20 year old panel monitors to communicate with the modern plc. From the specs on the equipment we should be able to monitor all the voltages and large breakers from a computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #4

boss rented me a fluke 435 for a couple of weeks. Will have to spend some time this week end reading the manual but i have it monitoring one bank at the moment using you-tube instructions.

Got to love you-tube
MikeFL likes this.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #5
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,666

Mentioning your glitch problem above reminded me of this service call we had one time.

We had bought a fluke logger a few months previous, mostly for recording feeder loads to MCC's, so we would know if we could add more load, etc.

A guy calls the shop, says he has a rental that the tenant doesn't want to pay rent on, because the lights in the home flicker every day. So one of the guys goes out, it's a $hithole beatup single wide with crap everywhere, he checks all the connections, doesn't find anything wrong. Calls the landlord and tells him.

Two days later, the landlord calls the shop again and says the tenant is still complaining about flickering lights. I go out this time with the guy that did the original service call. And I bring the Fluke logger with me.

I tell the tenant what I'm going to do, "that this logger won't miss a thing. If the power so much as hiccups, it'll catch it." A take a picture frame down above the panel, hang the logger from the nail on the wall and sandwich the test leads behind the panel cover up high enough the damn cats can't play with them.

Two weeks go by and we stop in to check the results. No voltage dips/swells recorded. Nada.

We tell the landlord. And tenant. No issues in two weeks of recording, after complaints of issues every day.

Haven't heard from either one since then, that was two years ago.

The bull**** stops when the logger comes out. No more finger pointing.

Anyways, this story doesn't have anything to do with anything. But, it is definitely a nice tool to have.
splatz and gpop like this.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote