Accountants - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 07-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
NJ-IEC

Rewards Points: 424
Default Accountants

Besides knowing the tax laws, filing taxes, and registering my business for tax purposes, what else should an accountant do to help my business? I have the LLC formed so I won't be needing his services for that. What I'd really like to know what to ask him when I meet him for the first time next Monday.

My good, good friend Joe McGill went to Manhattan College with this guy he has referred me to. Joe is my lawyer that has gotten me out of a jam or two the last 10 years or so including a dispute over overtime pay. That EC had to change his underwear after he got off the phone with Joe so I trust him.

The one I thing I am concerned about it how far this accountant's office is from where I live. Does this really matter? What kind of questions do I need to be asking him?

Thanks for any and all replies.
Magnettica is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Most stuff can be emailed or faxed. Office visits are rare.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
Bababoee

Rewards Points: 2,030

Are you going to have him file your sales tax or will you do it yourself..?
captkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
NJ-IEC

To be honest, I haven't registered with the state for depositing taxes yet. State or federal. I have the form they mailed me with a url so I'm assuming it's pretty easy to register.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
Bababoee

Rewards Points: 2,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
To be honest, I haven't registered with the state for depositing taxes yet. State or federal. I have the form they mailed me with a url so I'm assuming it's pretty easy to register.
Yea its simple but if your late with making payments you will get charged late fees so dont wait too long..
captkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

Sales tax, payroll, and quarterlies. You'll need him to prepare a number of things when you go for loans.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:20 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

I would interview at least 3 accountants. Ones that specialized with EC. When it's my money and my future I want boots on the ground kicking tires, Hope and trust are mostly thrown out the window. Go with facts. My accountant is 150 miles away in another state. I don't have a business but I file multiple W2s, multiple states/Countries, 1099, with rental properties, capital gains so it does become a mess. I haven't seen this guy in 3 years. I just mail my information to him.

I do admit it does get frustrating at times, I just have to keep in contact with him more.
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
NJ-IEC

I've never had to hire an accountant before so do I just bring all my LLC papers and other forms I've gotten from the state? I hope I can just give him all the papers and let him make sense of them. I'm an electrician and business owner, I don't know about taxes and forms and other related material.

What should I be asking the accountant when I meet with him?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
Semi-Retired

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Besides knowing the tax laws, filing taxes, and registering my business for tax purposes, what else should an accountant do to help my business? I have the LLC formed so I won't be needing his services for that. What I'd really like to know what to ask him when I meet him for the first time next Monday.
First, stop using the term 'accountant'. You want a CPA.
And you want one with real experience with contractors of various types and sizes... especially the smaller start ups.

Second, is whoever you use as a CPA it should be someone that your attorney knows and also trusts... and in the reverse the accountant should know & trust the attorney.

These guys are your basic board of directors who you will be paying good money to for help and advice.. the fees for which should be your LAST concern when choosing them. Like with EC's 2 hours spent by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than 4 hours by someone who doesn't... right? the hourly cost is immaterial.

And BOTH should be on board with all of the basic advice and procedures you are using (Like the LLC thing... the wisdom of using this remains an area of contention by well qualified people as opposed to other corporate entity options).

Procedures for things like forms and statements and record keeping and filing and all the other small day to day stuff that determines so much as time goes on.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
child please.....

Rewards Points: 14

A good CPA will save you money. He ought to have a list of things that you need to be aware of. Quarterly payments to the IRS etc....
NolaTigaBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:12 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,464

My C.P.A. said "BUY,Buy,Buy! Everything is deductable!
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
NJ-IEC

Had a great meeting with CPA this morning. I feel much better now knowing what I can do on my own and what I'll need help with. The state sales tax thing seems pretty simple, the quarterly still has some grey area. I am fortunate to have such good friends because my lawyer hasn't charged me a dime and since he's friends with the CPA he too didn't charge me anything for our meeting this morning. Damn if it feels good to be an EC today! Now if only the phone would start ringing.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #13
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanMD View Post
First, stop using the term 'accountant'. You want a CPA.
CPA = Certified Public Accountant. I am I missing something here?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #14
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Rewards Points: 15,378

Quote:
Had a great meeting with CPA this morning. I feel much better now knowing what I can do on my own and what I'll need help with. The state sales tax thing seems pretty simple, the quarterly still has some grey area. I am fortunate to have such good friends because my lawyer hasn't charged me a dime and since he's friends with the CPA he too didn't charge me anything for our meeting this morning. Damn if it feels good to be an EC today! Now if only the phone would start ringing.
I never charge my lawyer or accountant for electrical work.

Both are great people and I feel blessed
B4T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #15
NJ-IEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black4Truck View Post
I never charge my lawyer or accountant for electrical work.

Both are great people and I feel blessed
I feel the same way. But you wouldn't even charge them for materials if they were over say a few hundred dollars?
Old 07-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #16
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Rewards Points: 15,378

Quote:
I feel the same way. But you wouldn't even charge them for materials if they were over say a few hundred dollars?
I never charge them a dime.. not even for materials.

My reply to a bill has always been to "just take care of me when my time comes".. if that is OK with you.

Consider it money in the bank. Lawyers charge $300.00 and up per hour and you never know what is coming down the road.
B4T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #17
NJ-IEC

Good advice, Bob.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #18
Semi-Retired

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsparky View Post
CPA = Certified Public Accountant. I am I missing something here?
at lower levels the difference is largely semantics, but...
Think master electrician and every other guy out there who owns a pair of kleins... same thing?
Old 07-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanMD View Post
at lower levels the difference is largely semantics, but...
Think master electrician and every other guy out there who owns a pair of kleins... same thing?
I think of retired master electrician that might want to make some dough on the side and not work with 200 clients, but only 5-10.
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote