Competition - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,000
Default Competition

Service guy came back today and said "I used to think we were expensive but not any more!"
It was a loose stab lock. Level one diagnostic including a minor repair. $171 in and out in 15 minutes.

Evidently the customer had another company out first, they opened the panel (condo unit) said you need a new panel - $1750 which may or may not get the lights back on. He said no, just get the lights working. They told him min $450 to diagnose the problem not including repair. WHAT??? The panel was totally fine too.

Wow is all I can say.
BTW dronai, it was the main branch of your cybersquatter.
yrman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yrman For This Useful Post:
dronai (09-05-2012)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Jesus Scott

Rewards Points: 232

Are you talking FPE panel?
electricmanscott is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to electricmanscott For This Useful Post:
sbrn33 (09-05-2012), yrman (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Rewards Points: 15,378

Must of been a Mr. Sparky looking for a home run.. but got called out looking..

So much for their flat rate book..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrman View Post
Service guy came back today and said "I used to think we were expensive but not any more!"
It was a loose stab lock. Level one diagnostic including a minor repair. $171 in and out in 15 minutes.

Evidently the customer had another company out first, they opened the panel (condo unit) said you need a new panel - $1750 which may or may not get the lights back on. He said no, just get the lights working. They told him min $450 to diagnose the problem not including repair. WHAT??? The panel was totally fine too.

Wow is all I can say.
I had a guy call My receptacle is sparking and it is tripping the breaker how much will you charge?

Well sir if it is just a bad receptacle it will be $169 if there are other problems I will give you a price to repair it..

"THAT'S WAY TOO MUCH I'VE GOT SOMEONE ELSE FOR $75..."

That made the rest of Monday just FCKING pissa....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #5

Yesterday a lady called to get an outlet moved 10-15 feet. Wanted to know how much. I told her someone would have to look but minimum $159. She was horrified and said it should cost no more than $50. Good luck.

Goes to show you, there is always someone higher and also lower.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Yesterday a lady called to get an outlet moved 10-15 feet. Wanted to know how much. I told her someone would have to look but minimum $159. She was horrified and said it should cost no more than $50. Good luck.

Goes to show you, there is always someone higher and also lower.
Yes those people are still upset that slavery was outlawed..

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HARRY304E For This Useful Post:
GEORGE D (09-05-2012), JohnR (09-08-2012), LARMGUY (09-05-2012), The_Modifier (09-06-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
Premium Member

Rewards Points: 439

Solo , I can work for less. But if I have to pay a guy to drive around in my van with my fuel, and tools, insurance, drivetime, advertising, NO
dronai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 75

Is this a thread about being cheap or being expensive? Every stablock FPE panel I see I strongly recommend a panel replacement I NEVER repair them. I would much rather go home with $1750.00 than $175.00 any day.
stlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stlouis For This Useful Post:
carryyourbooks (09-06-2012), Chris1971 (09-05-2012), electricmanscott (09-05-2012), Lep (09-07-2012), Magnettica (09-06-2012), SVT CAMR (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #9

Who said anything about a FPE panel? I didnt. We wont work on them either and we charge $3400 not $1700 to replace rhem. It was a perfectly fine newer panel that did not have anything wrong with it. Why would we suggest changing out a perfectly fine panel? We want to make a profit but we also like to be fair to the customers.

It was a loose stablock outlet which was causing an outage. The electrician knew he would find the problem in 5 minutes. Of course he also suggested changing out the plugs but the customer only wanted a bandaid fix and to keep his cost down. So thats all we sold on that call. 10% buy the top option, 10% buy the bottom snd 80% buy somewhere in the middle. We'd rather sell more too IF the work is needed but we dont want our guys to be pushy and they would get fired for selling unnecessary work. Our rates are top of the market but $450 minimum to find a loose stablock in an outlet is a bit much even for a franchise.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
Jesus Scott

Quote:

Wow is all I can say.

Not ONE WORD about a receptacle. Stablock is an FPE panel. Most people would call a receptacle "back stabbed" if that's what you are talking about.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to electricmanscott For This Useful Post:
Bbsound (09-06-2012), carryyourbooks (09-06-2012), Chris1971 (09-05-2012), SVT CAMR (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Who said anything about a FPE panel? I didnt. We wont work on them either and we charge $3400 not $1700 to replace rhem. It was a perfectly fine newer panel that did not have anything wrong with it. Why would we suggest changing out a perfectly fine panel? We want to make a profit but we also like to be fair to the customers.

It was a loose stablock outlet which was causing an outage. The electrician knew he would find the problem in 5 minutes. Of course he also suggested changing out the plugs but the customer only wanted a bandaid fix and to keep his cost down. So thats all we sold on that call. 10% buy the top option, 10% buy the bottom snd 80% buy somewhere in the middle. We'd rather sell more too IF the work is needed but we dont want our guys to be pushy and they would get fired for selling unnecessary work. Our rates are top of the market but $450 minimum to find a loose stablock in an outlet is a bit much even for a franchise.
How do you know the panel did not need to be changed? Maybe the other electrician knows something your guy doesn't. Maybe your guy is afraid of being fired for trying to upsell.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmanscott

Not ONE WORD about a receptacle. Stablock is an FPE panel. Most people would call a receptacle "back stabbed" if that's what you are talking about.
There are regional differences in terminology. We call an FPE panel an FPE panel. We call "backstabbed" receptacles stab lock receptacles. I have never heard of a panel referred to as a stablock.

Would someone from out here chime in please.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
Jesus Scott

Quote:
There are regional differences in terminology. We call an FPE panel an FPE panel. We call "backstabbed" receptacles stab lock receptacles. I have never heard of a panel referred to as a stablock.

Would someone from out here chime in please.
Your location says "us" so technically I'm in your region. Either way, FPE Stab Loc is the name of the panel regardless of where you are and you made no mention of a receptacle but several references to a panel so you can see the confusion.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmanscott View Post
Well before smaking Y to hard it is actually Stab Loc no "K" but most electricians would have read loose stab lock as a bad connection in an FP panel which is pretty normal for them .
Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouis
How do you know the panel did not need to be changed? Maybe the other electrician knows something your guy doesn't. Maybe your guy is afraid of being fired for trying to upsell.
This guy is our #1 sales person and the best troubleshooter we've ever had. Trust me, he's not afraid to upsell. We change a Lot of panels, and he sells the most. If he says it didnt need it, then it didnt need it. Otherwise he would have sold it.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
This guy is our #1 sales person and the best troubleshooter we've ever had. Trust me, he's not afraid to upsell. We change a Lot of panels, and he sells the most. If he says it didnt need it, then it didnt need it. Otherwise he would have sold it.
So your "best" salesman thinks your prices are to high? My top guy would have came in my office and told me we are not charging enough. I'm in a race to the top.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #17
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouis View Post
So your "best" salesman thinks your prices are to high? My top guy would have came in my office and told me we are not charging enough. I'm in a race to the top.
Good point. You sound like Mr. Rewire.
Chris1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris1971 For This Useful Post:
SVT CAMR (09-05-2012), yrman (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #18
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,002

"Stab loc" always means an FPE no matter where you are. Got it?
user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #19

Wrong. Geez you guys seem to live to argue. He is fine with our prices, I was telling a story for heavens sake. Everyone at ou company understands providing value commensurate with our prices. Trust me we are waaay higher than most here.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D
"Stab loc" always means an FPE no matter where you are. Got it?
Uh ok. I'll try to remember.