Consulting - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 06-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 430
Default Consulting

What are your feelings on consulting on electrical work. I have a homeowner who wants to wire his own detached garage. Around here that is perfectly legal. He can pull his own permit.

I did put in a bid on it and he of course said that is twice as much as he thought it would be. Which is what lead to him wanting to do it himself and I just consult him. I will not lift a tool or pull any permits.

The way I look at it is I am not going to get the job. So why not consult him and make some easy money by him using my knowledge of the code. He is not far from my house and I will inspect all work before the inspector does so I know it will be safe.

Would you guys do it?
Flytyingyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 29
Default Consulting

I wouldn't sounds like a headache they don't make an aspirin for. Whatever you charge him will be too muchin his mind.
N PHILLY KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flytyingyaker View Post
What are your feelings on consulting on electrical work. I have a homeowner who wants to wire his own detached garage. Around here that is perfectly legal. He can pull his own permit.

I did put in a bid on it and he of course said that is twice as much as he thought it would be. Which is what lead to him wanting to do it himself and I just consult him. I will not lift a tool or pull any permits.

The way I look at it is I am not going to get the job. So why not consult him and make some easy money by him using my knowledge of the code. He is not far from my house and I will inspect all work before the inspector does so I know it will be safe.

Would you guys do it?
For the right price why not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Electric Al

Rewards Points: 2,306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flytyingyaker View Post

Would you guys do it?

I would not.

If anything goes wrong, he will tell everyone that you told him how to do the job.

I M O, it is not worth it.

Steven Wright
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer

I would not.

If anything goes wrong, he will tell everyone that you told him how to do the job.

I M O, it is not worth it.
If I did the job and anything goes wrong id get blamed as well.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,292

likek the others said. if something goes wrong, it will be your fault. if everything goes good, he will tell himeself that he did a good job.

carryyourbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks View Post
likek the others said. if something goes wrong, it will be your fault. if everything goes good, he will tell himeself that he did a good job.
If he says he did a good job that's fine. If something does go wrong it will be ny fault. I am the one consulting and inspecting his work.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,708

Figure out how many trips your going to make and how many phone calls your going to take.

Then decide on a fixed amount to charge him.

Then figure out how much a visit and how much a phone call your going to charge him after that.

Here's how that would like if I were pricing it.

Four 60 minute on site visits - $1,200 ($50.00 per 15 minutes after first 60 min)
Three 15 minute telephone consultations - $150.00 (additional time $50 per 15 minutes.

Total amount $1,350

Full non refundable payment must be received prior to commencemnet of consultation.
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,698

I do consulting, but I stick, to working for engineers, data centers, communications firms, management companies, electrical contractors and ......., NEVER a homeowner.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

Flying... Chances are, you're not properly insured for consulting work. A normal GL policy won't cover you. You need E&O insurance to do consulting work.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Flying... Chances are, you're not properly insured for consulting work. A normal GL policy won't cover you. You need E&O insurance to do consulting work.
Thank you. I will check into that myself Monday. I definitely don't want to be uninsured.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #12
GPM

Rewards Points: 10

I would only do it for a home owner if you knew him and trusted that he would follow your instructions. If it is a total stranger I wouldn't touch it. You might make a couple dollars but the downside could be huge.
GPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,698

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM View Post
I would only do it for a home owner if you knew him and trusted that he would follow your instructions. If it is a total stranger I wouldn't touch it. You might make a couple dollars but the downside could be huge.
To heck with the dollars, think of the headaches, not enough aspirins in the world for a job like that.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
Electron Flow Consultant

Rewards Points: 992

Give him the same price as you did before
sparky970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky970 View Post
Give him the same price as you did before

HAHA that's funny.