Gently Switching Customers to Pay-in-Advance - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree17Likes
  • 3 Post By 480sparky
  • 1 Post By Majewski
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 2 Post By macmikeman
  • 3 Post By Tiger
  • 2 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By PlugsAndLights
  • 4 Post By readydave8

Old 06-12-2016, 10:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 230
Default Gently Switching Customers to Pay-in-Advance

I have some customers who takes too long to pay me. He they are ok guys or I wouldn't work for them, but now that when they pay up I am going to have to ask for payment in advance before I go there again so I don't get strung out any more.

Any advice on how best to broach the news to them gently? Most likely it will be a deposit on a credit card and I will refund the difference.
Jerome208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

I generally find not working for them again works best.
MechanicalDVR, d2043 and LuckyLuke like this.
Teaspoon (07-02-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 11:06 PM   #3
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 2,820

If you already have issues, who's to say they don't get the charge reversed? I'd demand a check up front, cash it at their bank. If they're so stand up, they'll do it. Otherwise as 480 says, don't work for them.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Majewski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Majewski For This Useful Post:
obdaleccio (10-29-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2016, 11:06 PM   #4
Liberal Lesbian

Rewards Points: 1,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome208 View Post
I have some customers who takes too long to pay me. He they are ok guys or I wouldn't work for them, but now that when they pay up I am going to have to ask for payment in advance before I go there again so I don't get strung out any more.

Any advice on how best to broach the news to them gently? Most likely it will be a deposit on a credit card and I will refund the difference.
Communication is key. If they are decent guys, then a conversation is all you need. If that doesn't cure your issue, then they aren't decent guys.
arthur17 likes this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:08 PM   #5
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 21,597

Paid up front is great. Get it in Harriet Tubmans. All of it, and don't do any ''extra'' work without collecting upfront also. They are going to set you adrift once you tell them the new conditions though.
Majewski and arthur17 like this.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:32 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10,410

Jerome... If you are actually in Cali and if you are doing it to residential.....you would be in violation of the contracting laws.

Try putting the progress payments complete with the scope of work accomplished and payment date in the contract.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Switched For This Useful Post:
Lep (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,208

My business is COD. If I need to send an invoice and a statement, we aren't going to be doing business together. A bit off topic, but to the GC who called me at 6am on a Sunday for a non-emergency...we aren't doing business together either.
readydave8, flyboy and arthur17 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:42 PM   #8
Liberal Lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
My business is COD. If I need to send an invoice and a statement, we aren't going to be doing business together.
This is how I started my business. And for the most part I have stuck with it. But in some situations I have been lenient and it hasn't hurt.

There are countless examples that I don't want to bore people with. But in some situations it just works out that way. I found that when I was being so hard headed as to demand payment that very second, I looked a bit unreasonable in some situations.
readydave8 and Service Call like this.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:36 PM   #9
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
My business is COD. If I need to send an invoice and a statement, we aren't going to be doing business together. A bit off topic, but to the GC who called me at 6am on a Sunday for a non-emergency...we aren't doing business together either.
Seems reasonable to me. I'm usually prevented from billing on
site cuz I'm not organized enough to have all my material prices
with me. Have to add it all up when I get home. Maybe I should
work on this.
P&L
arthur17 likes this.
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:59 AM   #10
Liberal Lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugsAndLights View Post
work on this.
P&L
I use my iPad for my estimating and invoicing. You can use an app that will contain all your material prices as well as prices for services your perform. This way you can bill on the spot.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #11
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,794

Just blame it on the economy / other customers, tell them you have too many outstanding invoices to extend any more credit, you need cash now. They will know without you saying that they have been part of that problem.

The main thing is don't get too extended with them so they're stringing you along. Let them get behind and they have all the leverage. Make it clear that work stops if progress payments are not made in a timely manner, and structure the payments so you're never going to hesitate to walk away.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #12
neutral member

Rewards Points: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugsAndLights View Post
work on this.
P&L
I typed out prices on everything I stock in truck, pencil in new prices if different when I buy more.

If I buy something for job I keep receipt in truck until I write bill.

Nowadays I don't keep up with prices as well as I used to, if I need a price I can google item on smart phone.

I don't know why, but prompt billing improves collection success. Best way is to bill and get paid before I leave jobsite or home.
Teaspoon, flyboy, splatz and 1 others like this.
flyboy (06-26-2016), HackWork (06-26-2016), Teaspoon (07-02-2016)