Growing the office end! - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales


Like Tree21Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018, 02:57 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Built2ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario, canada
Posts: 101
Rewards Points: 87
Default Growing the office end!

Im back for more advise! I started my business 6 years ago based off information from here! ive grown it into 2M+ a year company now and we are doing a 90% growth expansion for 2019. We will have 17 employees!! unreal!

The problem is im having difficulty delegating and expanding office personal.

I am looking for advise from people that have 3 or more people in the office handling customers/scheduling/permits/accounting.

I currently have 1 amazing girl handles everything and i handle payables and receivables/payroll ect..

but we need to get more people but its proving difficult to scale up the office with tasks and overlapping a big issue.

I know this is not a good explanation but maybe someone can give an example how their office runs?

thanks for your patience.
Built2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
MikeFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 4,813
Rewards Points: 1,738
Default

You need an office manager.

In a best case scenario the office manager can(and will) jump in to cover any task otherwise performed by someone when that someone is absent whether for a day, on maternity leave or has left the organization.
1 Amazing Girl sounds like a candidate but is she good managing other people? That's 90% of managing. Maybe pay some tuition, give her a promotion and a raise and maybe some profit sharing. Be careful it doesn't go to her head.


Congrats on building a sucessful company from information you got online! And from ElectricianTalk.com! @Cricket and @admin need to read your story.



Good luck with all that expansion. Just be careful. Some really good companies have gone under because they scaled up too much too fast. Make sure you have a reverse button on that expansion so you can come back to where you are if need be.
jelhill likes this.
__________________
Michael Gookin, President
GPS Timers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #3
Electron Pathway Engineer
 
The_Modifier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: On cloud 9 in Ontario
Posts: 2,505
Rewards Points: 268
Default

Hire people smarter than you for the task.
__________________
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
The_Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Switched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 5,999
Rewards Points: 8,726
Default

What type of work do you perform?

A construction office will perform and operate a little different than a service operation, and a service operation a little different then an industrial maintenance operation.

Each type of business will have its own unique set of circumstances, but the basics will remain the same. Figure out what type of business you are first (a lot of us try to wear a lot of hats).

I would suggest reading a few books and getting a mentor, someone who has built something from 2-3 million up to 4-5 million. Businesses seem to hit ceilings, you need someone to help you get past the current ceiling you're in. (This is just from reading books, I don't have a 5 million dollar business so I can't help!)

Flyboy gave a list of books on another thread in here, but check out Vern Harnish's "Scaling Up" and "Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business" by Gino Wickman. Both do a good job at laying out the business model and basics you need to implement to get you to the next level.

From everyone I know personally and have spoken to, getting someone to help guide you is key.
jelhill likes this.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Built2ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario, canada
Posts: 101
Rewards Points: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post
What type of work do you perform?

A construction office will perform and operate a little different than a service operation, and a service operation a little different then an industrial maintenance operation.

Each type of business will have its own unique set of circumstances, but the basics will remain the same. Figure out what type of business you are first (a lot of us try to wear a lot of hats).

I would suggest reading a few books and getting a mentor, someone who has built something from 2-3 million up to 4-5 million. Businesses seem to hit ceilings, you need someone to help you get past the current ceiling you're in. (This is just from reading books, I don't have a 5 million dollar business so I can't help!)

Flyboy gave a list of books on another thread in here, but check out Vern Harnish's "Scaling Up" and "Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business" by Gino Wickman. Both do a good job at laying out the business model and basics you need to implement to get you to the next level.

From everyone I know personally and have spoken to, getting someone to help guide you is key.

I install approx 250 generac generators a year, 1000 hottubs, and 150 service and panel upgrades. with some other things in-between. I also have approx 1000 generac maintenance agreements annually.

but pretty much a quoting and job based company. After mulling it over i think ive found the way to scale up the office the way i like with a level responsibility across all office personal.

And yes ive made sure with my scale up we have only about 30-50k in loss if we had to scale back down as most of our investment is in vans/tools so im very confident i can do this scale up with success!
Built2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
sbrn33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: middle america
Posts: 11,346
Rewards Points: 3,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built2ride View Post
Im back for more advise! I started my business 6 years ago based off information from here! ive grown it into 2M+ a year company now and we are doing a 90% growth expansion for 2019. We will have 17 employees!! unreal!

The problem is im having difficulty delegating and expanding office personal.

I am looking for advise from people that have 3 or more people in the office handling customers/scheduling/permits/accounting.

I currently have 1 amazing girl handles everything and i handle payables and receivables/payroll ect..

but we need to get more people but its proving difficult to scale up the office with tasks and overlapping a big issue.

I know this is not a good explanation but maybe someone can give an example how their office runs?

thanks for your patience.
Hire the cheapest person that can do the job. I went to Cabo this week and read a book called the "E Myth". I think Shunk or someone here recommended it. I bought it for my nephew who is starting a new business but thought I should read it first. I have been in business for well over 20 years and I learned I stuff never thought about. I am nowhere near 2M but also have no desire to be. The book can get kinda slow but the good parts are very informative. Go get it and read it and put the parts you know you need into place.
sbrn33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
sbrn33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: middle america
Posts: 11,346
Rewards Points: 3,092
Default

I can't imagine running a $2M business with 1 girl. What happens when she gets pregnant?
sbrn33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Built2ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario, canada
Posts: 101
Rewards Points: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
I can't imagine running a $2M business with 1 girl. What happens when she gets pregnant?
Its technically me and her but im mainly on the road quoting. I always get nervous with relying on 1 person in the office as if they leave you are screwwed!

i am excited to bring in a 2nd and 3rd person into the office for overall stability
Built2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Built2ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario, canada
Posts: 101
Rewards Points: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
Hire the cheapest person that can do the job. I went to Cabo this week and read a book called the "E Myth". I think Shunk or someone here recommended it. I bought it for my nephew who is starting a new business but thought I should read it first. I have been in business for well over 20 years and I learned I stuff never thought about. I am nowhere near 2M but also have no desire to be. The book can get kinda slow but the good parts are very informative. Go get it and read it and put the parts you know you need into place.
I used to hire the cheapest person and it didn't work out for 4 years that way. finally paid well and was careful who i hired and now i have a great office manager
Bird dog and jelhill like this.
Built2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:05 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
sbrn33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: middle america
Posts: 11,346
Rewards Points: 3,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built2ride View Post
I used to hire the cheapest person and it didn't work out for 4 years that way. finally paid well and was careful who i hired and now i have a great office manager
I should have said hire the cheapest quality person that can do the job. Then document to them the job expectations.
sbrn33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 31,060
Rewards Points: 1,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
I can't imagine running a $2M business with 1 girl. What happens when she gets pregnant?
I handle my $20K/year business just fine on my own.
Southeast Power likes this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
sbrn33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: middle america
Posts: 11,346
Rewards Points: 3,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I handle my $20K/year business just fine on my own.
I missed you in cabo, I thought you were coming down to see me. Are you still mad?
sbrn33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 31,060
Rewards Points: 1,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
I missed you in cabo, I thought you were coming down to see me. Are you still mad?
You still haven't replied to my PM
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
brian john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gilbert's Corner VA
Posts: 29,704
Rewards Points: 1,184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
I can't imagine running a $2M business with 1 girl. What happens when she gets pregnant?
Her husband/boyfriend and MeToo come after you.
__________________
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now
brian john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:37 PM   #15
Cow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Eastern Oregon
Posts: 2,688
Rewards Points: 4,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
What happens when she gets pregnant?

9 months later she gives birth???
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:51 PM   #16
Small Potatoes
 
flyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North East USA Treasure Coast Florida
Posts: 4,547
Rewards Points: 2,824
Default

For an EC in 2018 doing 2 million dollars with 17 employees you have twice the number of employees you should have. That's $117,647 in revenue per employee. Too low!

You should be doing at least 3.5 with a plan to get to 4 million with the 17 employees. That's $235,294 in revenue per employee.

You're too top heavy. I'd say you're lucky if you're breaking even, but I doubt it.
sbrn33 likes this.
flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:56 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 31,060
Rewards Points: 1,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
For an EC in 2018 doing 2 million dollars with 17 employees you have twice the number of employees you should have. That's $117,647 in revenue per employee. Too low!

You should be doing at least 3.5 with a plan to get to 4 million with the 17 employees. That's $235,294 in revenue per employee.

You're too top heavy. I'd say you're lucky if you're breaking even, but I doubt it.
A member of this forum who was always a good poster and never came off as a liar worked for a large EC alone in his own van as a resi service electrician. He said that he billed $600K per year.

It's a large franchise type EC who had their sh1t together, the men were well trained on selling, Nexstar, etc..

You think it's possible?

Last edited by HackWork; 12-10-2018 at 09:58 PM.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:04 PM   #18
Small Potatoes
 
flyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North East USA Treasure Coast Florida
Posts: 4,547
Rewards Points: 2,824
Default

It's possible, but improbable he sold and did the 600k worth of work on his own. I have HVAC techs, plumbers and electricians that sell that much and more, but aren't doing all the work. I have one HVAC tech that will sell 1mil this year, but that includes a big portion of equipment that get's installed by our HVAC installation department.

Same with two of our electricians. Better then 600k a year each electrician, but they aren't doing all the work by themselves.
electricbysullivan likes this.
flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flyboy For This Useful Post:
electricbysullivan (12-13-2018), HackWork (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 11:37 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 31,060
Rewards Points: 1,120
Default

From what he said, it seemed to be all service calls, 5 per day. I know that the company he works for charges very high. But it still seems like a lot.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:26 AM   #20
Small Potatoes
 
flyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North East USA Treasure Coast Florida
Posts: 4,547
Rewards Points: 2,824
Default

$600,000/2080 hrs = $288.46/hr /.5 (billable efficiency) = $576.92/hr (labor component of flat rate task)

I know for a fact, this is not unheard of.
flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flyboy For This Useful Post:
Southeast Power (02-12-2019)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Joke of the Day brian john Off Topic (Non Trade) 720 04-18-2019 07:40 PM
Powering an Auxiliary Office leaferf3 Residential Electrical Forum 5 01-11-2018 07:40 PM
Gmail & Microsoft Office 2016 manchestersparky Off Topic (Non Trade) 6 12-26-2017 09:41 AM
Stresses of growing a business Hippie Business, Marketing, and Sales 30 02-29-2016 11:33 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com