How do you train your employees? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree21Likes
  • 6 Post By Dennis Alwon
  • 6 Post By Dennis Alwon
  • 3 Post By paulengr
  • 2 Post By CTshockhazard
  • 1 Post By Switched
  • 1 Post By Wiresmith
  • 2 Post By Rfreddy

Old 12-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,834
Default How do you train your employees?

How do you train your employees(electricians/installers/service guys, not ancillary staff)?
What do you think are good ways to do this?
I have not read any of the Mike Holt material, but hear a lot of people use it, is this a good tool to use in training your employees?
My questions are about formal training like book-work, but also on the job training if you have found some methods that appear to be working well.
Also what methods appear not to work?
The basis of these questions include training for people of no experience to continued education of the guy that will retire in five years.

Thanks

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 966

I use a bull whip....

Fortunately, I don't have to train anymore. When I worked the field the new guys always worked along side of me. I could usually tell in a few hours whether they would make it or not.

Funny story about 20 years ago I had this new guy who questioned every code rule I told him about. I finally threw the code book at him and said show me where it states what you said. Even ignored me and did it differently. I told my wife that he wouldn't last long. Well he lasted 4 years till I pushed him to get his license and go on his own. We are still great friends and talk 3-4 times a week and he has done well for himself.

We still joke about that first day...
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
Wiresmith (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 966

BTW, both my guys have their license now. I help tutor them in the evenings -- now I don't have to worry about them when I decide to quit. One of them is taking over the business.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
Wiresmith (12-15-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 308

Some guys share what they know. Some don't or even if they do it's impossible to understand and learn anything from them. Mike Holt is good in some areas but for instance in NC our test is different so it needs a different instructor. You can teach knowledge but not skills. Skills take practice and working with a good coach.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
glen1971, Wiresmith and jelhill like this.
paulengr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paulengr For This Useful Post:
Wiresmith (12-17-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #5
Sentimental Mental

Rewards Points: 1,368

Bullying, threats, and intimidation.

Fudge, it works for the government.
Wirenuting and Wiresmith like this.

Either you like bacon, or you are wrong.
CTshockhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 8,810

@Wiresmith, aren't you Union? Shouldn't the hall be handling most of the education? I know the locals here all have classes setup for Jman to keep their skills and knowledge going, all voluntary through, so who knows how many actually take advantage of it.

I personally use the Holt stuff, so stuff from Delmar's, and for a super green guy I have a book from WECA that is halfway decent. In the past I tried to do education on Monday mornings, seemed to work well.
Wiresmith likes this.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Switched For This Useful Post:
Wiresmith (12-17-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #7

I think the union training is a joke and does more of a disservice
Old 12-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,566

It all depends on what they want to learn. Some are eager to learn, ask the questions and are genuinely interested in what you have to show them. Some of the apprentices I've worked with have moved on to be foremen, supervisors, and some have left the trade completely. Some have stayed with the same company for years, while others have been fired while they are hiring others.

One guy called me about how to troubleshoot a VFD.. He had power to one side of a fuse and nothing on the other side of it. I said "your fuse is blown", he replies with "are you sure?". I find out later that he asked 3 other guys that day the same question..

I worked with a guy that didn't really want to listen to or take in anything I was telling him. He had his ticket for about a week, after a bit of showing and working with him, I gave up and let him fumble his way through it. I don't think he had much desire to be an electrician, as he spent most of his time looking at a computer and rescheduling work. Not really the hands on type..
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glen1971 For This Useful Post:
Wiresmith (12-17-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiresmith View Post
IBEW right? Why is it a joke and a disservice? Asking?
I always considered it second to none.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiresmith View Post
IBEW right? Why is it a joke and a disservice? Asking?
I always considered it second to none.

I'm sure many locals have stellar training. Not here, the people in charge of the training and doing the teaching don't know the material well enough themselves, that creates confusion and misinformation for students and I call that disservice. Some of the instructors teach things blatently wrong, (old school stuff) like grounding(and they talk about grounding and bonding as one in the same) as being completely unnescesarry. As u can imagine if they don't know that they don't know a lot of other things correctly
TGGT likes this.
TGGT (12-16-2018)
Old 01-20-2019, 01:36 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 178

It depends on the position: apprentices are very different that JM.
If you have apprentices, assign them to a JM.
The JM can take them under their wing and teach them so you don't have to.
For your JMs, don't micro-manage, just monitor their results.
Give them specific guidelines, rules and standards, but let them figure out how to do the work their own way.
And, if you don't already have an employee handbook...get one and make sure everybody has read and understands it.
There's nothing more demoralizing for an employee than catching heck for something when they didn't even know what the rules were in the first place.
TGGT and Wiresmith like this.
Rfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rfreddy For This Useful Post:
TGGT (01-20-2019)