Job referral - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 06-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
3rd Generation

Rewards Points: 1,010
Default Job referral

As an employer would any of you give a percentage of a job to an employee that brought the job to you? I recently brought in a large job from outside of work, normally I wouldn't feel entitled to a percentage but my hours have been slim lately and I wasn't even put on the job that I brought in and am thinking of asking for a percentage or s bonus on it. Is that thinking out of line?

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,208

That would have been a great question to ask your employer before you referred the job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:
brian john (06-18-2012), carryyourbooks (06-18-2012), Chris1971 (06-18-2012), electricmanscott (06-19-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I've referred a few small jobs to my boss, who then in turn sent myself and JW out on them, and magically, $100 showed up on my truck, tucked nicely in an envelope under my windshield wiper that afternoon.

Not sure WHERE it came from......

But, to address the OP, it should have been discussed before the contract was signed.
Chris1971 (06-18-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,726

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF Dagger View Post
As an employer would any of you give a percentage of a job to an employee that brought the job to you? I recently brought in a large job from outside of work, normally I wouldn't feel entitled to a percentage but my hours have been slim lately and I wasn't even put on the job that I brought in and am thinking of asking for a percentage or s bonus on it. Is that thinking out of line?
Ordinarily I would expect to have a conversation with an employee, first, regarding any fees for bringing in work before I would commit to anything.

Having said that, our employees recieve bonuses ranging from 2 - 6% of sales. It works on a sliding scale, based on the amount of work they sell in a week.

There are conditions attached with the bonus.
flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

That was lame of them not to put you on the job. Karmas a bitch...
yrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:59 AM   #6
Resi Service Electrician

Rewards Points: 550

I get a decent commission already but I get a pretty big bump for what I bring in. Usually I don't even ask for it when I but my boss makes sure I get it back and then some.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 434

I would say by them not putting you on the job they had no intention of giving you a bonus!
JHFWIC is offline   Reply With Quote