Job Tracking - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin_Essiambre
  • 1 Post By tmessner
  • 3 Post By Navyguy
  • 1 Post By LibertyRising
  • 1 Post By macmikeman
  • 1 Post By LibertyRising
  • 1 Post By macmikeman

Old 11-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #1
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 240
Default Job Tracking

How do you keep track of what you use on time and material jobs?

I am looking at making up some sheets for the current company I am looking for but I need some ideas.

I know most of you probably use a notepad or a scrap piece of paper or your code book or van to write stuff down on, but I am looking to make them up to keep track of jobs including material, labour, permit costs, etc. for each visit to the job. The last company I worked for had the ones pictured (I removed their logo and their contact information), but I am not too fond of these. Something about the round corners. I know that the company that had these made wanted to change the template for them to add multiple choice boxes for things such as POCO, Permit, etc.

Do you guys use anything like these? The last company had them made up as 2 part NCR forms and had them signed by the owner before they left for the day. They also used them for invoices... Even though they are not individually numbered... Anyway.

I will be making up a template for these based off of your suggestions and ideas, so after this is all said and done I can provide the template for you (with a blank area for your company info and logo) to use as your own.

These are probably more suited to those who have employees.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Kevin.
Attached Thumbnails
Job Tracking-service-order-sheet.png  
macmikeman likes this.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 234

You could probably get away with THESE
Old 11-21-2019, 04:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 844

We made our own "job tickets" with job name address etc, insp if required, most common items with our part numbers, job completed or multi trip, special equipment that tends to be forgotten. We did one type for resi work and another one for ag/industrial work. It really helps for sloppy handwriting,, part number entry.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
tmessner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2019, 06:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,934

Despite having the ability to automate a lot of things, I still run paper "Project Forms". The base form covers off 90% of what we do. I have supplemental forms that get attached to the main form if I have more material than man hours or more man hours than material.

I don't mind sending you a copy to look at if you want.

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Navyguy For This Useful Post:
The_Modifier (11-22-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 06:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 248

My company uses time tracking software that they clock in and out with their phones. They are required to either type a list of materials and a description of labor in the notes or fill out a page in a notebook that i provide for them and attach a photo of that daily list in each job. When it comes time to bill a customer I have the time information, material lists and photos all organized neatly for each day and customer. Large long term jobs are easy to make a report and print all the information and of course it also transfers over to my invoice software so I never miss a thing.
splatz likes this.
LibertyRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:37 AM   #6
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 17,655

I bid all my service calls before hand. I seldom track the materials, although it would be pretty helpful in the long run to know how much and what you most times are using. I used to have to do that when I was working for others though. Every work day send in the days list of time and materials on each job.
Drudge Report
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
I bid all my service calls before hand. I seldom track the materials, although it would be pretty helpful in the long run to know how much and what you most times are using. I used to have to do that when I was working for others though. Every work day send in the days list of time and materials on each job.
How do you bid troubleshooting and service work where you don’t know what is wrong before you get there?
Old 11-22-2019, 12:17 PM   #8
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyRising View Post
How do you bid troubleshooting and service work where you don’t know what is wrong before you get there?
Simple formula: "My lights don't work". "ok, It is $200 first hour, after that it's $150/hour. I can come over and check that out and see what sort of problem you have and then we can take it from there with a quote if we have to go running wiring in addition to our 1st hour fee.
MTW likes this.
Drudge Report
Old 11-22-2019, 03:49 PM   #9

So say hypothetically you get the agreement, and your tech goes and finds the breaker is bad and replaces it in that first hour. Is it still just 200 or do you add the cost of the breaker?

Or charge the 200 and then make another bid to replace the breaker?
Old 11-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #10
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Modifier View Post
You could probably get away with THESE
Not quite what I am looking for. Thanks Though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmessner View Post
We made our own "job tickets" with job name address etc, insp if required, most common items with our part numbers, job completed or multi trip, special equipment that tends to be forgotten. We did one type for resi work and another one for ag/industrial work. It really helps for sloppy handwriting,, part number entry.
I like the idea of have some pre-filled in part numbers/names. Makes sense for most scenarios. This is something that I would not have thought of.

Quote:
My company uses time tracking software that they clock in and out with their phones. They are required to either type a list of materials and a description of labor in the notes or fill out a page in a notebook that i provide for them and attach a photo of that daily list in each job. When it comes time to bill a customer I have the time information, material lists and photos all organized neatly for each day and customer. Large long term jobs are easy to make a report and print all the information and of course it also transfers over to my invoice software so I never miss a thing.
I've tried using some different apps for tracking my hours. Works great until my phone dies at around 2 or 3pm (sometimes earlier) before I am done work. Then it makes it pointless. Believe it or not, but I would prefer paper anyway. I may be in my 20's but I grew up using paper for everything.

Quote:
The boss quotes some jobs, but others are time and material. It's the T+M jobs that I need to keep track of. Some are impossible to quote because they just snowball the job adding stuff every time you blink... Even some quoted jobs snowball with the client requesting extra things to be done. I'm only worried about tracking the T+M jobs. If I had it my way, I would have change order forms, forms for tracking T+M jobs, a copy of the quotes with me while doing it, and a bunch of other stuff. But I don't. I only do the work and I get to say call my boss to discuss this I just do what I am told.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:13 PM   #11
MTW

Rewards Points: 9,908

Quote:
Simple formula: "My lights don't work". "ok, It is $200 first hour, after that it's $150/hour. I can come over and check that out and see what sort of problem you have and then we can take it from there with a quote if we have to go running wiring in addition to our 1st hour fee.

What's your success rate with those prices Mikey?
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:28 AM   #12
Senile Member

Quote:
So say hypothetically you get the agreement, and your tech goes and finds the breaker is bad and replaces it in that first hour. Is it still just 200 or do you add the cost of the breaker?

Or charge the 200 and then make another bid to replace the breaker?
For that - $200 plus breaker. Plus State excise tax. Plus Oahu county excise tax for the stupid Choo Choo train that we will never see completed, and anyhow it won't be going to Hawaii Kai so its a redistribution of wealth scam.
Drudge Report
Old 11-23-2019, 12:31 AM   #13
Senile Member

I believe it might have been Flyboy who said no job is worth going to for any less than $250 minimum. I followed that advice but customer's stopped calling. So I dropped it to the $200 minimum and now I am flooded with work all the damn time. Weekends too if I am inclined. $$$$$$$$$$$$. But like I said, I only charge that way for troubleshooting jobs. For other work it's bid all the way. That pays even better.
Drudge Report