Marketing Mailer - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 09-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 101
Default Marketing Mailer

Has anyone found sucess in sending out a company mailer/advertisement to populated areas listing your services and or offering a discount with the mailer? I am considering doing this but am concerned about spending the money to have them all wind up in the trash.
cc2kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 28

Good question. I hope someone responds. I've been contemplating the same idea.
Service Call is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 101

Speaking for myself, when I get them, if it is something I am considering having done, I do look at them.
cc2kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc2kj
Has anyone found sucess in sending out a company mailer/advertisement to populated areas listing your services and or offering a discount with the mailer? I am considering doing this but am concerned about spending the money to have them all wind up in the trash.
My wife and I put together I beautiful mailer a couple years back. Spent I would guess 6-7 hours plus 100$ or so on nice paper, fancy envelopes etc. ( not that that's necessary, but I wanted it to look nice). We were slow trying to drum up work. Sent it out to all of my previous customers. Basically a nice letter thanking them and offering variety of services. Got zero response. Very disappointing.
Legacyelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 522

Statistics show that direct mail has about a 1 to 2% ROI. A little more if you are hitting a targeted market.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TheBrushMan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBrushMan007 For This Useful Post:
davis9 (09-14-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 502

In my experience sending personal hand written notes to your current clients thanking them and reminding them that their referrals are your life's blood are much more effective...
kennydmeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kennydmeek For This Useful Post:
1joeyj (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 02:42 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,292

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydmeek View Post
In my experience sending personal hand written notes to your current clients thanking them and reminding them that their referrals are your life's blood are much more effective...
that makes my carpal tunnel scream aloud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc2kj View Post
you should read this book: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...es%2Caps%2C225

it talks about how to word advertisments. very useful tool imo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
carryyourbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carryyourbooks For This Useful Post:
cc2kj (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 256

We send Christmas cards to all our customers in the system. We usually get plenty of calls from that alone. Always keeps us busy for Jan and Feb.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 150

I sent out two different mailers to general contractors and specialty trades. First mailer (about 40 mailed out) I ended up bidding and working with one contractor for several years now. Second mailer (about 40 mailed out) I connected with a plumber in the area who has in turn referred me work to his customers. It doesn't hurt to try. Good luck.
1joeyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks View Post
that makes my carpal tunnel scream aloud!

Maybe you can get a girl to do it just like you did for your "sick" notes when you played hookey from school....
kennydmeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

I have talked to several people who live off of the mailers, they say 1% is the average conversion rate. If the numbers make sense at that, then I would do it.

I was given the idea recently to drive around town at night and see which businesses had lighting or signage issues, so I did and I sent out 50 letters, got one returned as undeliverable and in about 10 days, I have done 2 of the jobs and bid a third. I am very impressed with the results, I probably have 3 hours and $30 worth of office supplies invested.
USMC240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 612

This is weird. My current boss and I met through a postcard sized full color mailer he sent out touting his new company. Here is the kicker. I was working for a big company and we were in desperate need of installing subcontractors. That is exactly what he was advertising. We met and I liked what he had to offer. I was his project manager. We used him and his company for years. I quit my job and moved away. We still kept in touch because we were friends. Long story short, I now work for him.

He mailed out 20 mailers to selected companies in the city. He got 3 contracts from three companies. That's a pretty good ratio.

LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote