Electrician Talk banner

Moving to the US

6K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  Wire Tags 
#1 ·
Hey,

I am a Journeyman Red seal electrician from Alberta, Canada. I am considering moving to the US (possibly Phoenix area). Has anyone gone through the process before? What are some tips to consider if I were to go through with applying for a work visa? Any information is always helpful.

thanks

#5 ·
Your question is immigration in nature. I suggest you contact your state department or the Canadian Consulate in the US or the US Consulate in Canada.

I have no idea on Journeyman policy and reciprocation in AZ but you may want to check into that too.

Bring your national health plan with you! (j/k)

Welcome to the forums.

#11 ·
This has been a humorous thread so far. I've had two pay cuts within the last 6 months so I'm used to it. Planning on calling the consulate next week to help with info as well. If things are good In the US I'd probably stay (as long as my family can too). And yes I'd like to bring my Healthcare with me but it might not be an option.

Thanks all for your suggestions. Please feel free to keep them coming

#25 ·
To Op, I started my electrical career in Phoenix. I don't know what red seal is but if it's a union thing I wouldn't worry about it. The electrical union isn't all that strong there.
Weather wise in july walking outside literally feels the same as opening am oven door. If you don't have cloth seats in your car you cannot wear shorts from April through October or you WILL have burnt thighs. Fall is nice though (there is no winter or spring...)
One last weather thing, it is not always a dry heat there. At the end of July and through August is monsoon season where moisture comes up from the ocean straight through the valley. When it is 115 degrees and it rains...It's NOT a dry heat.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Reactions: barmet55
#26 ·
To Op, I started my electrical career in Phoenix. I don't know what red seal is but if it's a union thing I wouldn't worry about it. The electrical union isn't all that strong there.
Weather wise in july walking outside literally feels the same as opening am oven door. If you don't have cloth seats in your car you cannot wear shorts from April through October or you WILL have burnt thighs. Fall is nice though (there is no winter or spring...)
One last weather thing, it is not always a dry heat there. At the end of July and through August is monsoon season where moisture comes up from the ocean straight through the valley. When it is 115 degrees and it rains...It's NOT a dry heat.

the red seal program

The Red Seal provides reassurance and absolute certainty that the tradesman is qualified to a standard of knowledge and competency that has been defined by Industry, and which involves a rigorous vetting process within industry from coast to coast. It means that the Inter-provincial Standards Red Seal Program acknowledges their competence through Canada without further examination. The Red Seal basically provides a stamp of approval on the tradesman’s capabilities and provides greater mobility for skilled workers across Canada. The Red Seal program allows qualified tradespeople to practice their trade anywhere in Canada where the trade is designated.

to the op your qualification standards are unquestionable and you should have no problem providing your new employer understands what the red seal program is.
I would get a current copy of the nec 2014 code (its over 900 pagel long though) and research any local codes for the city or satate you chose to relocate to
good luck!

#27 ·
Flyingsod and gnuuser. Thank you for your insight on my question. Do you guys know where I would find local and state electrical codes? Im not sure how the program works in the US. Here in Canada we are certified within the Province with a lot based on the Canadian Electrical code. We are certified Red Seal (Interprovincial/State if you will) upon successful completion of an exam based on experience in the trade.

#28 · (Edited)
There is no national authority in the U.S. like your red seal program. Which sounds awesome btw, I wish there was something like that here. What you will need to do unfortunately is pick where you want to live and investigate there. You can't even go by state really since some states don't have anything in place. Where I live there is no state licensing or certification. Some of the counties have it some don't. Most of the cities I've encountered have some kind of certification required. A lot of them have reciprocation where they honor each other's licenses. Some states that require certification do the same. There's no easy answer sadly. It will be totally based on the locality you end up in. Once you decide though reading the state and local govt websites should give you the info you need. My state even has like a help line you can call that will transfer you too the proper govt angry to answer your questions.

Most every state, county, or city code is going to be based off the national fire protection association document number 70. Referred to in the trade as the NEC, National Electrical Code. Don't let the name fool you though it is not a legal national standard. It's just a codes and standards book that the NFPA publishes. It's up to state or local govt's to make it a legal standard. To make matters worse it's published every three years. Which year code book you will be required to follow depends on which locality you work in. My big city generally takes about 4 years to adopt a new code book to the legal standard. I heard of a county in Kentucky that still had the original 1933 code as it's legal standard as late as the early 90's. Guess that's why you can still buy knob and tube parts :). Most places you work will be using the newest or next to newest NEC code book though. Currently the newest is the NEC 2014 edition. It's usually about 70 bucks. You won't go wrong picking up this book. Even though it's not a legal standard across the nation it's by far the best way to learn the codes you will be adhering to in the U.S..

Localities often do just adopt the code as is and then add their own supplementary codes. So in short, buy the NEC book and ask the local govt you choose to relocate to what they require.

#30 ·
If you move to and obtain a license in a strict state, that will make it easier to obtain a license in other states, when required.

But let's take a step back...

What you are trying to do?
Do you just want to work for someone else?
Or do you want to engage in contracting?

#33 ·
No man, haven't you heard the new plan? If trump wins we are moving to Mexico cuz he's gonna build a wall to keep himself out. Plus it's warmer down there.

Reactions: readydave8
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.