Nj electrical contractor exam - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 05-11-2014, 07:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 158
Default Nj electrical contractor exam

Hello everyone:
I have question regarding the State Of New Jersey Electrical Contractor Examination? I saw the exam outline from Prometric and it looks like Fire Alarm & Security is a separate examination? Does this mean that a individual who holds a NJ Electrical Contractor License cannot perform Fire Alarm & Security work? I am looking to take the Contractor exam? Does this mean I have to take a separate exam for F/A & Security? I am bit confused. I have taken State tests before (CT E-1) so I am familiar with the business law end of it. Just trying to figure out if the F/A is part of the Electrical Contractor Exam or separate. BTW, I have no plans of doing any residential work. I simply would like to get licensed to bid on the occasional commercial job. I GC I have worked with for many years wants to some work. Also, I was reading that you have to register your business? Thanks in advance
gptechelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gptechelec
Hello everyone: I have question regarding the State Of New Jersey Electrical Contractor Examination? I saw the exam outline from Prometric and it looks like Fire Alarm & Security is a separate examination? Does this mean that a individual who holds a NJ Electrical Contractor License cannot perform Fire Alarm & Security work? I am looking to take the Contractor exam? Does this mean I have to take a separate exam for F/A & Security? I am bit confused. I have taken State tests before (CT E-1) so I am familiar with the business law end of it. Just trying to figure out if the F/A is part of the Electrical Contractor Exam or separate. BTW, I have no plans of doing any residential work. I simply would like to get licensed to bid on the occasional commercial job. I GC I have worked with for many years wants to some work. Also, I was reading that you have to register your business? Thanks in advance
. The fire alarm and security portion of the exam is included and part of obtaining your New Jersey electrical contractors license . So basically , you can't not take it and be a licensed contractor . It's broken up into 3 parts . Code , alarms and business law . Any portion you pass ( hopefully all three ) you will not have to take again . Good luck !
drumnut08 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drumnut08 For This Useful Post:
gptechelec (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 07:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumnut08 View Post
. The fire alarm and security portion of the exam is included and part of obtaining your New Jersey electrical contractors license . So basically , you can't not take it and be a licensed contractor . It's broken up into 3 parts . Code , alarms and business law . Any portion you pass ( hopefully all three ) you will not have to take again . Good luck !
Thanks for that. So it appears it is 8 hrs of testing? 4 hrs electrical, 2 1/2 business law & 2 1/2 hrs low voltage? Wow, State of Ct was only 6 hrs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for that. So it appears it is 8 hrs of testing? 4 hrs electrical, 2 1/2 business law & 2 1/2 hrs low voltage? Wow, State of Ct was only 6 hrs
. Yep , it's a long draining day ! I felt like I gave birth and headed straight for the bar when I finished , lol ! I was just happy , I didn't have to do it again !
gptechelec (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #5

i am looking at the Prometric book as I type this. The only book I don't have is for the intrusion detection part of the LV. It looks like its 24% of the test. I am wondering if I could "wing" that portion of the LV test? The Fire Alarm I am pretty confident I can get through? Any feedback on the intrusion detection part would be appreciated
Old 05-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #6

Quote:
. They do give you a break in between sections , which does help , and obviously you can walk out of the room whenever you finish . There was a guy who sat behind me who had gotten a doctors note saying he had a learning disability . This gave him unlimited time ! I walked back into the exam room for the next section and he was still sitting there pulling his hair out on the code section ?
Old 05-11-2014, 07:55 AM   #7

Thats not too bad then. CT there was no break. The only portion I am a bit shaky on is the Low Voltage. I am not expecting miracles, as I will taking the test almost blindly, with little time to study. Only good thing is I teach night school so I am always reviewing. I think I can through the NEC, & business law. Need to study for the LV
Old 05-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #8

Quote:
i am looking at the Prometric book as I type this. The only book I don't have is for the intrusion detection part of the LV. It looks like its 24% of the test. I am wondering if I could "wing" that portion of the LV test? The Fire Alarm I am pretty confident I can get through? Any feedback on the intrusion detection part would be appreciated
. I had a pretty good book that my prep class instructor recommended we get to help out . I'll see if I can get the name of it ?
Old 05-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #9

Quote:
. This portion seems to trip a lot of guys up , and rightfully so , if they've never done fire alarm or security system installations in the past .
gptechelec (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #10

I would be most grateful. As i said, I am not expecting miracles, but hoping for the best, since I have very little study time, especially this is the busy time of the year
Old 05-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #11

Quote:
I would be most grateful. As i said, I am not expecting miracles, but hoping for the best, since I have very little study time, especially this is the busy time of the year
. Security ( second addition ) by Neil cumming is one and " electrical and fire alarm exam questions " , by necquestions.com . , are both very helpful .
Old 05-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #12

Great, thank you for taking the time to get me that info
Old 05-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 25

The book hat I used was 'Low Voltage Wiring, security/Fire Alarm Systems, Third Edition. It is published by McGraw-Hill. www.books.mcgraw-hill.com and was $39.95
South Jersey Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Great, thank you for taking the time to get me that info
no problem . You should be able to get those on amazon ? I honestly remember more fire alarm questions than security , and the security ones were kind of common sense .
Old 05-11-2014, 10:15 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 150

I failed the NEC by one point last July, and Passed it in January. I highly suggest taking the Alan Chech Prep Course &/Or Crash Course! Very Helpful!

Edit: Most of the Alarm Questions I felt were very outdated. I heard rumors that the test was changing for April & on so I'm not sure, I was granted double time & used every bit of it.

Last edited by AZ86; 05-11-2014 at 10:17 PM.
AZ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Sid View Post
The book hat I used was 'Low Voltage Wiring, security/Fire Alarm Systems, Third Edition. It is published by McGraw-Hill. www.books.mcgraw-hill.com and was $39.95

Appreciate that also
Old 05-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 665

I second the Alan Chech help as well. If you can't take the full 5 Saturday prep, call him up and ask for what day the fire-alarm prep will be and see if you can get seated even if it is supposed to be sold out. He can iron out some of the headache and trickiness in the test.

I also suggest his crash course the night before the exam. Well worth it.

I took everything with him when it was the 2011 code cycle. I don't know if prometric had adopted the 2014 at all as of yet.

Did you get passed the electrical examiner's board to even qualify to take the exam as of yet? Some times they react with the speed of a retreating glacier.

Goof luck.
electricbysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to electricbysullivan For This Useful Post:
AZ86 (05-19-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,062

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricbysullivan
I second the Alan Chech help as well. If you can't take the full 5 Saturday prep, call him up and ask for what day the fire-alarm prep will be and see if you can get seated even if it is supposed to be sold out. He can iron out some of the headache and trickiness in the test. I also suggest his crash course the night before the exam. Well worth it. I took everything with him when it was the 2011 code cycle. I don't know if prometric had adopted the 2014 at all as of yet. Did you get passed the electrical examiner's board to even qualify to take the exam as of yet? Some times they react with the speed of a retreating glacier. Goof luck.
Good point for him to consider. I know CT is different. You actually apply to prometric first. NJ is different and it can be a long, draining process to get through. I originally applied in March of 2012 and didn't get approved to sit for the exam until August of 2012.

I also highly recommend Alan Chech
ElectricJoeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 508

I remember a number of questions on maintenance intervals (monthly, quarterly, 6 months, etc) for fire alarm system components. It's an open book test like the other 2 tests, so as long as you're familiar with where to look stuff up, you should be fine.
millelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 665

The way the extra time requests works is spelled out here in case anyone cared to know:
https://www.prometric.com/en-us/clie...on20091215.pdf
electricbysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote