Price of devices - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree36Likes

Old 04-22-2019, 05:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,978
Default Price of devices

Does anyone have any input on the price increases over recent years on the cost of a standard SPST 15A 120VAC toggle or duplex receptacle?

Seems they were $0.50 not long ago. Now they're $4-10 if you're buying 1's & 2's.

We get great pricing from the supply houses because we buy high volume and we also sell to them. I'm not complaining about what we pay.

I just thought they were $0.50 about 5 years ago. Maybe I'm older than I thought. How long ago were they $0.50?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,695

I haven’t seen any difference in the price. You could still buy them for that cheap. But they are the crappy ones.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,456

In my world they have actually gone down in price... in December of 15 they were $1.04 CAD, now $0.62 CAD

Cheers
John
MechanicalDVR and MikeFL like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Navyguy For This Useful Post:
MikeFL (04-22-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 09:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 897

Resi switches are $.56 and TR duplexes are $1.04 at the big box stores when you buy a box of 10.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
JoeSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeSparky For This Useful Post:
Dan the electricman (04-22-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 02:10 AM   #5
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 14,799

I pay one arm, and one leg .
Old 04-23-2019, 05:46 AM   #6
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,788

Even if you love your supply house, sanity check them against the Home Depot and Lowes web sites regularly. I have found lately that my pricing at two supply houses on conduit is not good compared to Home Depot, they used to beat the big box stores.

It may not do any good any more. In the past if I pointed out they were high, they would click clack at their keyboard for a while and my pricing would be better than HD and Lowes again. Not any more, they gave me some sheepish bull**** about it being the tariffs and the price of steel and this and that, shrugged and said that's the best they could do.

I suspect that they have decided they've chased the big box stores long enough, they are going to get the high markup they want and let the chips fall where they may, they just aren't going to admit it to the customer just yet.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:15 AM   #7
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 2,950

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
I pay one arm, and one leg .
That's because you live out in the middle of the ocean Mickey.
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flyboy For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 07:46 AM   #8
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 10,135

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Even if you love your supply house, sanity check them against the Home Depot and Lowes web sites regularly. I have found lately that my pricing at two supply houses on conduit is not good compared to Home Depot, they used to beat the big box stores.

It may not do any good any more. In the past if I pointed out they were high, they would click clack at their keyboard for a while and my pricing would be better than HD and Lowes again. Not any more, they gave me some sheepish bull**** about it being the tariffs and the price of steel and this and that, shrugged and said that's the best they could do.

I suspect that they have decided they've chased the big box stores long enough, they are going to get the high markup they want and let the chips fall where they may, they just aren't going to admit it to the customer just yet.
The box stores here are thieves when it comes to EMT and fittings. EMT has gone up in price (maybe the tariffs) but the wholesalers are always better priced.

The box stores are usually better priced with panels because they throw in a few breakers and I have no problem playing the 10% price beat game with those bastids.
MechanicalDVR and splatz like this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #9

Quote:
I do this on a fairly regular basis... if I see my price from the supplier go up, I will check with HD to see their price.

There are some things that will always be less expensive at the big box stores; light fixtures as an example. The supplier might purchase 100,000 fixtures (say a 2 lamp strip light) but HD or CT or whoever purchases probably a million of them a year... they cannot compete simply on volume. Some other items are the similar such as hardware (screws, washers, etc). I am actually able to purchase heat shrink at Fastenal less expensive then the supplier.

I think it is always good to check pricing, but I also don't mind paying a bit more at my supplier because they provide me excellent service and of course it supports the local economy verses purchasing online.

Cheers
John

Old 04-23-2019, 08:49 AM   #10
RSE Electrician

Rewards Points: 130

Conduit prices depend on where it is made. A lot of suppliers are using Chinese conduit as it is cheaper compared to North American made conduit. I bought a few bundles a couple of weeks ago and there were huge price differences depending on the brand of conduit. $20 to $40 price difference per 100 feet on some sizes of EMT, and rigid was double!
splatz likes this.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 830

When comparing prices just make sure they're the same grade (resi, spec or hospital).
Old 04-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
When comparing prices just make sure they're the same grade (resi, spec or hospital).
I'm with you on that. As far as I'm concerned, if they're not the same part number, it's not a comparison.

(833) GPS-TIME
Old 04-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #13
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Conduit prices depend on where it is made. A lot of suppliers are using Chinese conduit as it is cheaper compared to North American made conduit. I bought a few bundles a couple of weeks ago and there were huge price differences depending on the brand of conduit. $20 to $40 price difference per 100 feet on some sizes of EMT, and rigid was double!
This is a good point. I will certainly pay more for better, less kink prone conduit. Sadly the main supply house I deal with, which has changed ownership a couple times the last 5 years, has switched to Chinese conduit, same low quality as the big box stores, but at a higher price.
Incognito likes this.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:43 PM   #14
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 17,452

Quote:
This is a good point. I will certainly pay more for better, less kink prone conduit. Sadly the main supply house I deal with, which has changed ownership a couple times the last 5 years, has switched to Chinese conduit, same low quality as the big box stores, but at a higher price.
I've had EMT that must have been made at the wrong temp as it kinked like mad.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 14

Curious what everyone's thoughts are. Being new to the industry and probably a bit of a 'young idiot', I'm probably going to get some flack, but why hasn't anyone gone factory direct and sold via an online platform? (Online could include phone/email/text support too.)

If someone took pride in QC and made sure the quality WAS there to match existing brands, couldn't this bring better products to market? Market feedback could be implemented and products advanced more quickly though a social media channel?

Random idea, nobody said I was smart getting into this industry.

Obviously there is a loyal following behind brands and too many have probably been burned by 'cheap' Chinese stuff so it probably has a stigma?

I dunno why I'm even saying this but figured it might spark some discussion?
Southendgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:37 PM   #16

I am going to guess that most of us are "loyal" to the supplier and not the brand they sell. I know I can call my SH at 0200 and get what I need if it is there, can't do that at a big box or online retailer.

We generally may pay a bit more at the SH then at the Big Box, but we are also paying for that service that we might need once or twice a year.

Cheers
John
tmessner and MikeFL like this.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:09 PM   #17

And I'd trust the supply chain more at the SH than whatever some new buyer is sourcing at the big box.
Navyguy and tmessner like this.

(833) GPS-TIME
Old 04-30-2019, 07:49 PM   #18
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 2,950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
I am going to guess that most of us are "loyal" to the supplier and not the brand they sell. I know I can call my SH at 0200 and get what I need if it is there, can't do that at a big box or online retailer.

We generally may pay a bit more at the SH then at the Big Box, but we are also paying for that service that we might need once or twice a year.

Cheers
John
Nope, not me. I'm "loyal" to my bottom line, not suppliers. I'm not going to pay "a bit more" to a supplier all year long so I can call him at 0200 once or twice a year. I'll wait four hours and get what I need at a better price.
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flyboy For This Useful Post:
HackWork (04-30-2019), The_Modifier (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 09:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
Nope, not me. I'm "loyal" to my bottom line, not suppliers. I'm not going to pay "a bit more" to a supplier all year long so I can call him at 0200 once or twice a year. I'll wait four hours and get what I need at a better price.
I think that is good approach and if it works for you and others, that is awesome. I also think it is possibly about scales of economy; meaning that you (or others) may have the ability to have better purchasing power then someone else. Also it may be associated with your business options, such as 24 hour emergency service vice 9-5 operation vice production repairs vice residential wants, etc.

All of these issues play a role in purchasing decisions and what support of support you can count on from your supplier.

Cheers
John
Bird dog likes this.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:15 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
I am at least one hour from any big box. My supply house delivers to my door daily at 7 am. They also do a vendor managed inventory, that includes putting anything they scan back on my shelf, not on the floor, at a price that is competitive with other suppliers. I am willing to pay more. I think they save me about 1 to 2 man-hours per day. Do the math. It is a huge savings to pay a little more for sh inventory
tmessner is offline   Reply With Quote