Qualifying a business - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By CTshockhazard
  • 2 Post By splatz

Old 01-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Default Qualifying a business

Hello I am a Master electrician/plumber. I currently work in manufacturing/maintenance. I have an exciting job offer from a company who usually subs out the electrical portion of their projects. Because they do not have an electrical license. They are wanting to hire me to lead a 4 man crew and want me to qualify there business for electrical work. They are offering a decent wage in line with other companies. My question is should I expect a higher pay rate ir some other encentives from them since I will be qulifying them?
Bgw223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #2

I will add these are commercial projects with a large profit margin.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
Sentimental Mental

Rewards Points: 1,368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgw223 View Post
My question is should I expect a higher pay rate ir some other encentives from them since I will be qulifying them?

Abso-freaking-lutely!

Not just more, but way more.
HackWork likes this.

Either you like bacon, or you are wrong.
CTshockhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2019, 11:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,490

Welcome to Electrician Talk.
Please take a few minutes and fill out your profile.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,230

I'd tell them you want that hefty salary plus 7.5% of gross contract amount on the electric work and let them negotiate it down to 5% and they'll be happy and so will you.

Go get it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:42 PM   #6

Salary, all insurance and licenses paid for and percent of all sales.
Apelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 320

I was recently approached about this. I can’t because I’m qualifying my own company but my initial thought was nice salary with 10% of the profits and company vehicle etc.

The only guy I’ve ever known qualifies work for a company doing work in 4 states and he implies he gets about 90 a year and a company vehicle. And he works his ass off. No way in hell that would work for me.
blueheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:05 AM   #8
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,144

Some good ideas above, now that I think about it I am sure the rules vary state by state, not just licensing but liability.

I'd ask that if you reach a tentative agreement with respect to compensation, they agree to reimburse fees to a lawyer of your choosing, who's qualified in this field, to review the agreement from your perspective, make sure the details or the arrangement are in line with licensing, make sure you understand any liability this could be exposed to, and make sure that you will be able to collect commissions readily if they try to stiff you.
SummitElectric1 and jelhill like this.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #9

Please see this link. You need a profile. Thanks

https://www.electriciantalk.com/f3/a...fields-258186/
Old 01-19-2019, 05:59 PM   #10

Thanks for the responses. That is kind of what I was thinking good salary and 10% of profits and a company truck. I really only want to do it to save back some of that extra money for about a year then start my own company.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgw223 View Post
Thanks for the responses. That is kind of what I was thinking good salary and 10% of profits and a company truck. I really only want to do it to save back some of that extra money for about a year then start my own company.
When an agreement involves a % of profits, we enter what's called "Hollywood Accounting" which dates back to when big stars would be offered a % of the profits of the film and the producer (who didn't want to pay him) would come up with all kinds of accounting like $50,000 per day for catering coffee and donuts on the set payable to his brother, etc. You'll never agree on what "profit" means.

There is never a debate on gross contract amount.

I'd rather have 5% of something that can be defined than 10% of whatever is going to be argued over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
Old 01-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #12
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 7,544

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
When an agreement involves a % of profits, we enter what's called "Hollywood Accounting" which dates back to when big stars would be offered a % of the profits of the film and the producer (who didn't want to pay him) would come up with all kinds of accounting like $50,000 per day for catering coffee and donuts on the set payable to his brother, etc. You'll never agree on what "profit" means.

There is never a debate on gross contract amount.

I'd rather have 5% of something that can be defined than 10% of whatever is going to be argued over.
Interesting that a contractor can offer someone 5% of their gross sales.
I'm not sure that a shop grossing 1,000,000 can just hand someone 50k. That's going to be complicated.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:18 PM   #13

For the opportunity to enter into that contract?
Heck you pay more than that selling your biggest asset (your home).
If OP is going to put his professional license on the line, it's worth it to the company and OP needs to know he's getting something for the risk he's taking. Any one job where someone dies and OP may find himself with no license for life. What is the reward relative to the risk then?

(833) GPS-TIME
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeFL For This Useful Post:
Southeast Power (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 07:44 PM   #14

Welcome to Electrician Talk.
Thanks for taking the time to fill out your profile.