QuickBooks Online - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree3Likes

Old 11-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 567
Default QuickBooks Online

Has anyone transitioned from QuickBooks on their computer to QuickBooks Online? If so, how do you like it?

I tried it a couple year ago but after a minute or two I didn't like it and gave up on it. But I am thinking about going for it again. I like the idea of it being cloud based and having access from any device, such as my iPad which I use for every other part of my business. I don't care about the price since it's saving me from paying a bookkeeper.

Opinions on QuickBooks Online?
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Has anyone transitioned from QuickBooks on their computer to QuickBooks Online? If so, how do you like it?

I tried it a couple year ago but after a minute or two I didn't like it and gave up on it. But I am thinking about going for it again. I like the idea of it being cloud based and having access from any device, such as my iPad which I use for every other part of my business. I don't care about the price since it's saving me from paying a bookkeeper.

Opinions on QuickBooks Online?
Does have some draw backs because it is missing some features, first one that comes to mind is progressive invoices. I still like it anyway and as you said It's great that I have it where ever I go on my iPhone and iPad.
Julius793 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Julius793 For This Useful Post:
HackWork (11-05-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 11:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius793 View Post
Does have some draw backs because it is missing some features, first one that comes to mind is progressive invoices. I still like it anyway and as you said It's great that I have it where ever I go on my iPhone and iPad.
Hmmmm, since I use another program for invoicing, I just enter multiple payments for the same job into QuickBooks as Sales Receipts and use invoice number ####-1 and ####-2, etc. So I assume that would transition fine to QBO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2016, 11:13 PM   #4
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,098

The main thing that shoots down Quickbooks Online is if you have another program that interacts with your QB data, such as syncing invoices or etc., the other program probably only works with the installed QB, it can't sync with QB online.

The online version makes it very convenient to use the app to enter and categorize expenses etc. right at the cash register when you spend the money.

Your accountant may or may not like working with the online version.
HackWork likes this.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
The main thing that shoots down Quickbooks Online is if you have another program that interacts with your QB data, such as syncing invoices or etc., the other program probably only works with the installed QB, it can't sync with QB online.
That's a good point, but in the other direction. Currently I don't use anything with QuickBooks (for Mac, the version I use). But there are things such as Square that will work with the Online version.

Quote:
Your accountant may or may not like working with the online version.
I'm not sure what he uses, currently I just print him off a P&L sheet. I've been doing that since I know he doesn't use QB for Mac.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 960

Personally I would rather not have my data in the clouds.... My solution to qb's and my surface pro is to use Team Viewer. I can access my main pc from anywhere there is an internet connection and the program is free-well for personal use anyway. I don't use it too often but when my back hurts and I need to lay down I use my Pro and connect to qb's on my pc using team viewer.
It is the same idea as Go to Metting, etc.
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:28 AM   #7
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

We went through an entire QB evolution years ago to find the only thing it does do that can't be arranged on one's computer, is addict a biz to updates .

This held true as many states went on line for EFTPS as well

IMHO, unless one is a larger company with intergral 9-5 accountants , it becomes an unnecessary tool

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:14 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2
Default QuickBooks Online

I transitioned to QBO earlier this year and the migration went well. All the features they advertise and have been discussed here are nice.

The cons are:

there are issues with the automatic syncing where transactions are duplicated and can be a real PITA (for me anyway) to determine which transaction is the real one and which one needs to be deleted.

and then there's the feature where it auto enters previously entered data into a new transaction. Example: Mobile Deposit from Joe Schmoe on 11/1 makes all subsequent mobile deposits from Joe Schmoe until you change it and add transaction. Not a big deal, but leaving the field blank would be a better design.

Basically, these issues seem to pertain to QBO syncing with your bank accounts. All the other accounting stuff seems to me to work as intended and having it available on any device is nice.
drewsserviceco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewsserviceco For This Useful Post:
HackWork (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #9

Drew, those things kinda bother me. Maybe I will wait.

Dennis, you mention not having your data "in the cloud", but it's safer that way, IMO. It's encrypted and backed up many times over.

I hope you currently use an offsite backup system such as Crashplan. If not a fire, robbery, or harddrive failure can ruin you.
shocksystems likes this.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 96

I tried the trial version when I opened shop and didn't like certain features it lacked vs. Pro.

I still use the Pro version and backup to a thumb drive every month when I reconcile.

Mobile convenience would be nice, but not necessary for me at this point.

AND

The bank I just moved my accounts to has an export option so I just export my bank statement directly into QB so now I don't have to manually enter expenses just my deposits. After the first time entering in each vendor and cost category it remembers it so the next time it sees that vendor it's automatically entered into the correct category. It's frickin awesome. Did 2 months of entries and reconciled the other night in less than 30 min!!!

Last edited by Glock23gp; 11-06-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Glock23gp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glock23gp For This Useful Post:
DesignerMan (11-22-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,114

I was considering converting to QB online last year and my accountant strongly discouraged it. She had a couple of clients that hadade the switch and they had all sorts of issues with it. If I remember correctly one even lost quite a bit of data.
drspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:38 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 960

Quote:

Dennis, you mention not having your data "in the cloud", but it's safer that way, IMO. It's encrypted and backed up many times over.

I hope you currently use an offsite backup system such as Crashplan. If not a fire, robbery, or harddrive failure can ruin you.

I don't have any of my important stuff stored anywhere other than my external drives, my pc and thumb drives...

Since when did encryption stop hackers... How many companies lose clients data etc...? I feel safer on the ground
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
I don't have any of my important stuff stored anywhere other than my external drives, my pc and thumb drives...

Since when did encryption stop hackers... How many companies lose clients data etc...? I feel safer on the ground
No one is getting thru encryption and no one is going to hack into your company data. You are so far off base that it's kinda crazy.

You remind me of old people who won't use their credit card to order things off the internet. There's probably no use even trying to reason with you
Old 11-06-2016, 06:45 PM   #14
Hackenschmidt

If you use a regular installed program, it's best to have a local backup and a cloud backup. Belt and suspenders.

If you use a cloud program, you probably want to back up OUT of the cloud as well, ideally in a format that you can readily restore to something other than the cloud service if need be. With QB online, the Intuit data center doubtless has protection and backups light years ahead of whatever you're going to go buy at Staples. BUT, data loss is still possible. For example if you accidentally delete everything, or someone else does so maliciously, you could be totally f'd. Even with the cloud, belt and suspenders.
HackWork likes this.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
If you use a regular installed program, it's best to have a local backup and a cloud backup. Belt and suspenders.

If you use a cloud program, you probably want to back up OUT of the cloud as well, ideally in a format that you can readily restore to something other than the cloud service if need be. With QB online, the Intuit data center doubtless has protection and backups light years ahead of whatever you're going to go buy at Staples. BUT, data loss is still possible. For example if you accidentally delete everything, or someone else does so maliciously, you could be totally f'd. Even with the cloud, belt and suspenders.
I would hope that Intuit has some sort of Versioning in their backups. This way you can go back to a specific date and time before something was deleted or modified.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #16
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
I would hope that Intuit has some sort of Versioning in their backups. This way you can go back to a specific date and time before something was deleted or modified.
Quickbooks sells a cloud backup service for their installed product, that gives you 45 days of backups. I'd be suprised if the online version didn't as well, but you never know.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #17
Hackenschmidt

Now I was curious so I searched and found this:

https://community.intuit.com/questio...ckbooks-online

Evidently there are third party tools to back up Quickbooks Online out of the cloud.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #18

I use CrashPlan to backup everything on my Mac. $60/year, can't beat it.

Hopefully the evil hackers don't get into it and steal my customer's addresses
Old 11-07-2016, 06:58 AM   #19
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
I use CrashPlan to backup everything on my Mac. $60/year, can't beat it.

Hopefully the evil hackers don't get into it and steal my customer's addresses
I assume you use the same method I do to protect my customer list. I don't worry about passwords, encryption, updates, all that mess.

I salt the drive with tons of the nastiest content the internet has to offer. It's like a lemon party mine field in there.

This guarantees if there's ever a breach, they'll disconnect to bleach their eyes and sob in their pillow long before they get to my precious business intelligence.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:21 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 816

I use it, well my book keeper does.

We had an instance two years ago where the PC that had our QB crashed and the most recent back up was corrupted. We ended up using a back up that was 2 months old, It took a months of re-entering and correcting mistakes our books.

Our files are now secure at a remote sight and are backed up regularly. We can log onto them from any PC.

Basically you log into a remote computer through a QB vendor called Right Networks.

You need to buy Quick Books and Pay a fee to right networks....I forget the cost breakdown but I bought two license for Quick books and two monthly licenses for right net works it was $1900 for the year.

One of the great things i love is when the book keeper has a technical problem she can just message the ppl in right networks and get immediate help.

The main thing is piece of mind, my files are secure and regularly backed up.
Tonedeaf is online now   Reply With Quote