QuickBooks users, have you switched to QuickBooks Online? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Glock23gp
  • 1 Post By HackWork

Old 05-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 481
Default QuickBooks users, have you switched to QuickBooks Online?

QuickBooks seems to be promoting their "Online" cloud-based software pretty hard.

I tried it out, but didn't like it so I gave up on it after a few minutes.

The only benefit for me would be the availability to use QuickBooks on my iPad. I run the entire rest of my business off of the iPad.

Currently I use QuickBooks on my Mac, I like being able to open multiple windows on the 27" display, it makes bookkeeping easy when you can open things up side by side.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2016, 12:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 46

i have been using it since I started out, the flexibility to operate from multiple devices can sometimes make life much simpler. it has been reliable, and provides the options for growth.
Sdavey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 96

I did the 30 day trial however found that the Pro version had a lot more features and options overall that outweighed the advantages of the Online version.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
electricguy likes this.
electricguy (05-15-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6

I use it. I like it rather well. I like being able to use it anywhere on pretty much any device.

My business is slightly different though. I do the estimating side for contractors, so I really don't have any inventory to track in my system. Other than blueprints which are usually just included anyway.

Your mileage may vary on the construction side.
ARKOSPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #5

I do service work. I only use QuickBooks for bookkeeping of money. I don't use it for inventory, invoicing, estimates, payroll, or any of that.

I simply enter my sales invoices and my purchases. Then I print off a P&L sheet for my accountant at the end of the year.
ARKOSPhoenix likes this.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrzy View Post
I do service work. I only use QuickBooks for bookkeeping of money. I don't use it for inventory, invoicing, estimates, payroll, or any of that.

I simply enter my sales invoices and my purchases. Then I print off a P&L sheet for my accountant at the end of the year.
I screwed up. I should have told you to simply use Quicken, the cheaper sister of Quick Books. It's what I use since 88. I figured Books was going to be better for you , assuming you were going to have legit employee's and workmans comp and all that...........

For guys consigning themselves to single handed most magnificent electrician in the world like I have consigned myself , and no employee's Quicken is easy and enough without all the expense. Last version I upgraded to was 2004.......... Still going fine. Of course it is on a Macintosh computer which won't break down ever.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #7

I just paid for the upgrade to 2016 since it's been 3 years. I don't mind, it was only $189.

Upgrades are required every 3 years to use some features. The feature I really like is connecting to my business checking and business credit card accounts and having it sync up. If Quicken can do that, maybe I will switch in 3 years when this version of QuickBooks is up.

If I ever put employees on the books, I figured I would use a company like PayChex.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:23 PM   #8
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,072

One big reason to go with Quickbooks over Quicken is, your account is almost sure to be at home in Quickbooks. Also, I am not sure but I don't think Quicken keeps track of unpaid invoices.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
One big reason to go with Quickbooks over Quicken is, your account is almost sure to be at home in Quickbooks. Also, I am not sure but I don't think Quicken keeps track of unpaid invoices.
I use QuickBooks for Mac which won't work with my accountants software, so the only thing I do is give him a P&L printout come tax time. He then enters my income, COGS, and expenses into his own software and makes adjustments from there.

I don't enter invoices into QuickBooks until they are paid. I use an app on my iPad that is similar to ES2/CS2 to do estimates and invoices. Only when I get a check do I enter the invoice into QuickBooks.

This is just the way I started doing it from the beginning, and since it's so easy and quick I have just continued with it.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #10
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrzy View Post
I use QuickBooks for Mac which won't work with my accountants software, so the only thing I do is give him a P&L printout come tax time. He then enters my income, COGS, and expenses into his own software and makes adjustments from there.

I don't enter invoices into QuickBooks until they are paid. I use an app on my iPad that is similar to ES2/CS2 to do estimates and invoices. Only when I get a check do I enter the invoice into QuickBooks.

This is just the way I started doing it from the beginning, and since it's so easy and quick I have just continued with it.
I didn't know that about QB for Mac not making a portable file you could use on a PC. If that's how it works you might be better off with Quicken. You're using something else for the billing functions, and you're a one man show, Quicken might have a couple personal finance features (retirement etc.) that are not in Quickbooks.