Quieter than normal - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree13Likes

Old 03-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 628
Default Quieter than normal

This is the first of 3 winters in business where the phone hasnít been ringing as much.

Is this normal for this season? I donít mind a break from insanity, just seems off....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyrton likes this.
WronGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 608

It doesn't surprise me that much. It's tax time. I think maybe some of the boom has slowed a bit. I think it will pick up again in a month or so as it often does. I just need folks to pay there bills so I can hang on for now. Working on getting my shoulders rehabbed and taking a night class in the meantime. Spring is coming.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp3 View Post
It doesn't surprise me that much. It's tax time. I think maybe some of the boom has slowed a bit. I think it will pick up again in a month or so as it often does. I just need folks to pay there bills so I can hang on for now. Working on getting my shoulders rehabbed and taking a night class in the meantime. Spring is coming.

Iím in the same boat...Iíve come along way but Iím a tiny little peanut in this game and have a constant carry of 75k-100k since I started doing more commercial work. I also needed to invest more into overhead stock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019, 09:26 AM   #4
Can't Remember

I'm an even smaller one. Just me. I looked at four generators Thursday in the same neighborhood, quoted two, working on the other two today. Have another to look at this coming Thursday that needs a replacement and upsize. Should get that one. Been trying to help another buddy by teaming up if we get these. Really need the snow to melt for the first four. Have another in Mass with a service replacement when the weather gets better. Waiting to hear on quotes I gave for LED parking lot lighting and a large three phase water heater. Have some outdoor lighting to do, but its been brutally cold and I have been fighting this bronchitis crap too. Feeling better today. Back at it tomorrow, because I know I can finish a portion and get paid Friday. Nothing I haven't faced before.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
MTW

Rewards Points: 6,908

We're heading into a recession. That's why.
telsa likes this.
MTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post

You honestly think so ?

Old 03-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,798

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WronGun View Post
You honestly think so ?
If I thought I could accurately predict this kind of thing, I'd go into a different business and make some real money for a change, but I don't think that at all.

That said I am hearing significant nervousness from some which can lead to holding back on big projects until they feel more confident.

But @WronGun - did you raise your prices since last winter? If so, you were supposed to see less business, if you're always crazy busy that usually means your prices are too low, maybe they're getting where they ought to be. For now.
nrp3 and HackWork like this.

Last edited by splatz; 03-10-2019 at 10:31 AM.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #8
Semper Fi

Rewards Points: 7,378

Quote:
This is the first of 3 winters in business where the phone hasnít been ringing as much.

Is this normal for this season? I donít mind a break from insanity, just seems off....

Two people this week just mentioned that historically March and December are the worst for them. I have found that government work smooths that out as they usually run out of money in September.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #9
Can't Remember

Some of this is psychological and the last thing we need is some of the news mouth pieces spreading doom and gloom and then everything does contract. Granted, I believe there are natural cycles to this but hopefully not on the way down yet.
splatz and Bird dog like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to nrp3 For This Useful Post:
Southeast Power (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #10
Semper Fi

Rewards Points: 7,378

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp3 View Post
I'm an even smaller one. Just me. I looked at four generators Thursday in the same neighborhood, quoted two, working on the other two today. Have another to look at this coming Thursday that needs a replacement and upsize. Should get that one. Been trying to help another buddy by teaming up if we get these. Really need the snow to melt for the first four. Have another in Mass with a service replacement when the weather gets better. Waiting to hear on quotes I gave for LED parking lot lighting and a large three phase water heater. Have some outdoor lighting to do, but its been brutally cold and I have been fighting this bronchitis crap too. Feeling better today. Back at it tomorrow, because I know I can finish a portion and get paid Friday. Nothing I haven't faced before.
Can you please tell me what you can net off of a residential generator installation?
I keep getting butchered on these just do to the very long permit process we have in SE Florida.
Im getting to the point of going through the install to get the customer on line and then getting the permit approved and inspected.
The process can take a year here.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #11
MTW

Rewards Points: 6,908

Quote:
You honestly think so ?
Yes, absolutely. The whole American economic is one gigantic debt bubble.
MTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:05 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 25,344

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. The whole American economic is one gigantic debt bubble.
You mean the whole planet.

Most of the world's new debt is being crafted in Red China.

They're now running into the wall.

For a LOT of players, Red China is their primary customer.

(Australia, that's you.)

Red China has a debt about as large as the USA on an economy about half its size.

It's real estate prices are the most insane on the planet. Here we're talking about the rate of wages versus rents and cost of purchase. Red Chinese real estate would have to drop 90% to get things back in line. BTW, no-one pays property taxes in Red China. That's one of the reasons for these crazy numbers. They just don't line up with any other nation.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:14 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,958

This is the best Jan. Feb. March I've had in five years. We're working six days a week.
Southeast Power likes this.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DDesign View Post
This is the best Jan. Feb. March I've had in five years. We're working six days a week.

This Is the first winter Iíve had to jump back on advertising campaign platforms.... weíve been working 40 hrs minimum every week. The last 2 weeks have been very thin, I priced out a couple larger resi job remodels a little lower than the norm in order to win and fill the weeks out. (Still very profitable , but normally higher)

Even the platforms Iíve used that normally keep my phone blowing up have been struggling to push through my minimum campaign leads.

During these times... Iím comfortable enough to embrace a break, itís keeping my guys busy that stresses me out..... I have no problem whatsoever taking a day or 2 off.

Iím still in a truck with an apprentice, so I feel
Obligated to supply a full work week.

Last edited by WronGun; 03-10-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #15

I may have to schedule a full day of shop and truck work this week...

Old 03-10-2019, 12:57 PM   #16
Can't Remember

I have enough out there in receivables to cover what I owe, though its coming slower than I'd like. I'm not worried enough to say the sky is falling and maybe when I get over this bump in the road work on debt reduction this year as much as possible. I can see the end of the van payments if I can get back in gear so to speak.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #17
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
Can you please tell me what you can net off of a residential generator installation?

I keep getting butchered on these just do to the very long permit process we have in SE Florida.

Im getting to the point of going through the install to get the customer on line and then getting the permit approved and inspected.

The process can take a year here.
We've done 33 of the installs in the last 5 months. It's easy for us here in Ontario, but we're not doing the gas or anything, just electrical connections. We call in the permit, book the inspection, and book the disconnect and reconnect with the utility. Most of them are in the $3-$4k range and are hooked up in one day. Usually we have 2 or 3 guys with the occasional 4th on them. Most of them are minimal material. They're easy money makers for us, and great to fill time when there's no work or it's slow. I've got another 8 booked to do in the next 2 months.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 329

Quote:
This is the first of 3 winters in business where the phone hasn’t been ringing as much.

Is this normal for this season? I don’t mind a break from insanity, just seems off....

Resi service work always dries up during tax time. Once the weather warms up a little and the tax returns start showing up it will break lose again. Right now everyone is getting multiple bids for small projects. You can either lower prices or enjoy some time off. Personally, I’m not about to cut my own throat to compete against the starving handy man types.
nrp3 and Bird dog like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bartstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #19
Can't Remember

It picked up a little towards the end of the week. Installed a couple of wall packs on Friday and it was so warm out, I went outside and sat on the deck in the afternoon with the wife and had a beer. Waiting on the plumbers to get their part of a bid together for a large water heater install and the city to approve the location of a generator install. Those will help. I agree, I expect things to pick up here soon with spring approaching. Hang in there.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 1,364

We haven't had a break in work since july 2017. I've pretty much stopped working weekends since it wasn't really getting us any further ahead, and was just wearing me down. Usually March/April was good to get caught up on re-organizing, taking some time off, etc, but not anymore. It might be because the work we do is so diversified that if one area slows, another booms.