scheduling software service - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 2 Post By splatz

Old 02-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 698
Default scheduling software service

Looking for scheduling software for service work. Who has something they like? We currently write it in a spiral notebook with the electricians name by it and they just look at the book when they can get to it. We lose some work when it gets old because it gets forgotten about. I am wanting something to automatically remind us about a job when it is in progress.
garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2019, 02:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 8,842

What exactly do you want it to do?

So you don't actually schedule the calls, just put them in a notebook and the guys do them in between other projects?
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #3

Yes that's about right. I would like it to keep reminding me if the call is not done so we don't forget about it. For example status is "Waiting for heating element to come in"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 123

Garfield, can't you just keep a list that you check everyday (I check mine many times a day). Add to it as you get jobs and delete from it as you complete them. Since mine is digital, I just cut and paste a job from one spot to another on the list depending on its importance.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 8,842

You could accomplish that with Google Keep or Apple Notes, simple checklist that everyone has access too on their mobile devices. When they are done, they just check it off.

I use a CRM for it, but that has more features than you are looking for.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:31 PM   #6
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,500

Why aren't the guys that are given the service calls keeping up with their own parts that are on back order? Are they just forgetting they need to go back and finish projects when parts come in?

We have about 10-15 of us in our shop. One or two of the guys do most of the service calls. Some days more of us chip in.

Our spiral notebook daily schedule is filled out with service calls and other things to take care of, by our office person. It's been that way daily, for the last 20+ years.

I don't see any reason we need to switch to a software program or to "go paperless" because writing it down is so simple. It just works.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:15 PM   #7

Cow you are probably right. No learning curve. No one in the office currently does anything but log the call. After a few weeks they are several pages back. Do you guys rewrite them repeatedly?
Old 02-18-2019, 11:29 PM   #8
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 416

You asked for software but don't want to incorporate it?

HERE's my suggestion. It keeps you with you old method, but brings you into the 90's without any new fangled gadgetry.

BRINGING RESPECT TO THE TRADES IS IMPERATIVE. DO YOUR PART!
The_Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:08 AM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 19,236

Shops I've worked for moved tickets around on a scheduling board in te dispatch office.

That said I used a system like Hacks on my laptop.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:36 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield View Post
Cow you are probably right. No learning curve. No one in the office currently does anything but log the call. After a few weeks they are several pages back. Do you guys rewrite them repeatedly?
Whether you use digital, paper, or a large board, I think the main thing that you need is for someone to take responsibility of it. Losing jobs just because no one is paying attention is pretty bad.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:11 AM   #11
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,614

Even with decent sized companies I see more people using simple solutions than specialized software to track these things. I see a lot of whiteboards, one place schedules their plant with a super sophisticated whiteboard thats color coded and super detailed. One even using a chalkboard, they painted a whole wall with that chalkboard paint they use in kids' rooms.

I think a good system is TWO documents: One, an unscheduled jobs list spreadsheet - job, date booked, person responsible, start date, completed date; two, a weekly calendar showing scheduled jobs. I am a fan of Google Sheets spreadsheets for this but the medium is less important than the data.

I think people stick to the simple systems because they aren't perfect but they are close enough, and the expert system that makes it more automated is expensive, and realistically they don't have the discipline to make it work anyway. The simple system is practical and a good fit.
The_Modifier and Forge Boyz like this.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:23 AM   #12
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield View Post

Why are you guys several weeks behind on scheduling?

We log the calls and they get scheduled anywhere from immediately to the following week at the most, depending on the severity of the problem and how busy we are. I can't think of a time they've ever been scheduled any farther out than the following week.

If a call doesn't get done for whatever reason on the day it's assigned, the office person will rewrite it for the next day. The electrician that was assigned the call will mention to the manager he wasn't able to get the call done the following morning during our morning meeting. At this point the service call usually moves to top priority and gets taken care of that day.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 194

Really? I’m booked solid for the next month; and haven’t taken any new jobs for at least a month. There was one point in January I was telling people I couldn’t get to them for 3-4 months and some were still willing to wait, which I was growing weary of such a long wait list so I just started telling callers we were not taking any new work (unless $$).

I’ve only recently started taking calls and considering making an estimates again. We have also raised prices $40/hr in the last few months.
LibertyRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 22

I've been comparing and contrasting multiple softwares and after spending a lot of time with each, I can say that none of them does everything. Almost everything out there has at least one pretty big glaring technical missing piece that prevents me from wanting to go with them. Factor in the (sometimes) crazy cost vs benefit, and I've narrowed it down to the following, in no particular order:

Service Titan - It's more of a possibility for us now that they went to their 3 different levels of pricing. Don't need to buy the Mercedes when a Chevrolet will do. No connection between electrician time logged and closing out a service call seems like a large missing link? High monthly cost
FieldEdge - I feel like this is almost a clone of Service Titan. They do have a link for connecting timesheet and service call time though. High monthly cost.
Housecall Pro - The price is great for what you get. Not as many bells and whistles, but if you want great basic software, this is pretty good.
tayl4288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:59 PM   #15

Great ideas here. I think i am leaning toward some combination of dry erase board and logbook that gets updated continuously. As a whole we are not very IT savvy. While the software may be better if it never gets implemented it won't work!
Old 02-20-2019, 09:44 PM   #16
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,723

I just use the iCalender app that comes with iPhones and iPods. I have an iPod touch to listen to podcasts during work, and it has Calendar on it. I can look at all the jobs going on and keep notes on them. Each day I sync my iPod to my laptop to get fresh Savage , Rogan, Corolla , and Alex J. and the calendar's from both sync together, so at night I can see what is what as well.
You can set this stuff up on the cloud to go sync with multiple user's also. Google has similar calendar apps and so does Microslop. Those don't cost you anything more than you paid for the device in the first place, they are built into the operating system.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:54 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayl4288 View Post
I've been comparing and contrasting multiple softwares and after spending a lot of time with each, I can say that none of them does everything. Almost everything out there has at least one pretty big glaring technical missing piece that prevents me from wanting to go with them. Factor in the (sometimes) crazy cost vs benefit, and I've narrowed it down to the following, in no particular order:

Service Titan - It's more of a possibility for us now that they went to their 3 different levels of pricing. Don't need to buy the Mercedes when a Chevrolet will do. No connection between electrician time logged and closing out a service call seems like a large missing link? High monthly cost
FieldEdge - I feel like this is almost a clone of Service Titan. They do have a link for connecting timesheet and service call time though. High monthly cost.
Housecall Pro - The price is great for what you get. Not as many bells and whistles, but if you want great basic software, this is pretty good.
Agreed, Service Titan and FieldEdge are robust apps and suited towards bigger shops.
Just checked out housecall and it looks ok.
We use ServiceM8 which is VERY basic but gets the job done.
Plus you only pay about $0.50/per job you book (no subscription) so its very affordable and scalable.
Rfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote