Service Van or Truck.... - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree1Likes

Old 11-30-2015, 02:08 AM   #1
Infiltrator

Rewards Points: 618
Default Service Van or Truck....

I'm lining up all of the dominoes to strike it out on my own in the spring....besides a solid customer base, most of my i's have been dotted and t's crossed.....

Right now I am trying to decide which route to take on the service rig. I have used both over the years and the pro's and con's of each have me at a stalemate....

Any one man shops out there care to weigh in?

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2015, 03:07 AM   #2
Lep
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"

Rewards Points: 2,927

I've run full size vans ,pickup trucks and smaller trucks like Ford Ranger .I like the Ranger better. (cheaper to operate) (get the extended cab automatic trans.)but if you're going to carry a bunch of materials get a small trailer tow with the Ranger.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:00 AM   #3
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,996

I much, much prefer driving a truck but have to admit a van would do a lot more. Although a truck with utility style tool boxes might beat a van for residential construction.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2015, 06:26 AM   #4
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Depends on one's market target, if you're into small jobs & service work think 'rolling stockroom' ......~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chicken steve For This Useful Post:
CADPoint (11-30-2015), John Valdes (12-01-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 296

I started with a van. Then a pickup. Added a 16 ft cargo trailer to that. Now I'm thinking a service body on the pickup.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #6
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,360

Either van, or cargo top on a pickup. Working out of an open pickup is fine for construction, but not for service.
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:00 AM   #7
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

I've concluded one of each optimal 277.....

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:08 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,008

I would have a utility body van if I did service work.http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...DAgQMwglKAkwCQ
dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dawgs For This Useful Post:
DesignerMan (12-03-2015), Wireless (12-01-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 08:10 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,838

A service truck that has a cover.

Of course dealing with the exact nature of your work is the biggest
consideration!
Old 11-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
zac

Rewards Points: 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
I would have a utility body van if I did service work.http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...DAgQMwglKAkwCQ
That's sweet.
zac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:01 AM   #11
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,360

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post
I've concluded one of each optimal 277.....

~CS~
For sure I concur that having both would be ideal. But if I only have one choice and I'm doing service work, a van is it.
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,276

A trailer just seems like a total pain in the ass.
For a small company doing little **** I would go with the van. Especially if you get any weather at all.
Or want to park it outside.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:16 AM   #13
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,253

nrp3 (12-02-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 12:04 PM   #14
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,649

What do I know? I'm a one man shop. Got sick of paying for gas so I bought a Chevy wagon to run in around and do small jobs. It worked so well I sold my truck. If I need a van I'll rent one for the day.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
sbrn33 (12-01-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 03:43 PM   #15
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

I spent most of my life , or at least 1/2 in a E350 Ford extended Van. Drat POS 460 in that sucker. In '79 it was about 76 HP.

About '85 after spending about 17K in gas I read a mag about changing the timing gear and advance the camshaft / crankshaft timing. Gained another 76 HP.

About '90 after spending an aditional 17K in fuel the motor finally went south.

No Prob. I had been fixing up a '69 Mark III 460 in that but of course in '69 had 425 HP (the good old days ). James Bond had one in a movie of his. Had a helicopter in the trunk, - no bull.

Anyway I trashed the Lincoln and dropped that 460 in the van. The van could now move across the city quite fast if need be.

Still sucked fuel tho. Much material and wire and pipe, and ladders, and weight. And the van was now rusting, turning into a beater.

Got a '87 chevy 1/2 ton... 800 lbs. in the back the sticker said. Still I liked the body style and fixed it up, pulled the V6 out and a 350 rebuilt when in along with a paint job. Burned fuel. Less material I was packing tho.

Now a Nissan Frontier. Put a ballast and maybe a smoke alarm in the back. Wholesalers and HD carry my stock and I get it when needed.

Don't buy much fuel now.

Did you know you can't put more than 8 images (smilies, etc) in a message. I think this forumn needs new software. Re-sizes pic, crap like that.

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daveEM For This Useful Post:
99cents (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 10:01 PM   #16
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,649

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveEM View Post
I spent most of my life , or at least 1/2 in a E350 Ford extended Van. Drat POS 460 in that sucker. In '79 it was about 76 HP.

About '85 after spending about 17K in gas I read a mag about changing the timing gear and advance the camshaft / crankshaft timing. Gained another 76 HP.

About '90 after spending an aditional 17K in fuel the motor finally went south.

No Prob. I had been fixing up a '69 Mark III 460 in that but of course in '69 had 425 HP (the good old days ). James Bond had one in a movie of his. Had a helicopter in the trunk, - no bull.

Anyway I trashed the Lincoln and dropped that 460 in the van. The van could now move across the city quite fast if need be.

Still sucked fuel tho. Much material and wire and pipe, and ladders, and weight. And the van was now rusting, turning into a beater.

Got a '87 chevy 1/2 ton... 800 lbs. in the back the sticker said. Still I liked the body style and fixed it up, pulled the V6 out and a 350 rebuilt when in along with a paint job. Burned fuel. Less material I was packing tho.

Now a Nissan Frontier. Put a ballast and maybe a smoke alarm in the back. Wholesalers and HD carry my stock and I get it when needed.

Don't buy much fuel now.

Did you know you can't put more than 8 images (smilies, etc) in a message. I think this forumn needs new software. Re-sizes pic, crap like that.
Yes, I run with the mentality that HD and the wholesalers carry material for me. I can keep ahead of the game by about three days and pick up odd parts on the fly.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:42 PM   #17
Infiltrator

Thanks for the input guys....I should have clarified that by "service truck" I meant one with a utility bed.

I definitely want a rolling stockroom as Tesla said. I have a trailer for any larger tools or material if needed.

The older I get I just HATE climbing into a van to dig around for a tool or random fitting.

Looks like I'll be focusing more on the truck route.....
Old 12-01-2015, 12:04 AM   #18
Lep
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"

Rewards Points: 2,927

Nissan 4 cylinder station wagon with an automatic,a/c,roof rack. (for the shot caller)
Old 12-01-2015, 12:37 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs
This would be my vote. Easy access from outsides as well as walk in covered storage with shelves.
Wireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:42 AM   #20
Infiltrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless View Post
This would be my vote. Easy access from outsides as well as walk in covered storage with shelves.
FYI!!!!....The pic in that link is nice....but beware if you try to use one of the links to the page....NSFW...and certainly not safe to open when a teenage daughter is in the room!