Small Shop - Apprentice utilization - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree19Likes
  • 2 Post By MCasey
  • 1 Post By Majewski
  • 1 Post By shocksystems
  • 2 Post By Majewski
  • 2 Post By MCasey
  • 3 Post By Julius793
  • 4 Post By Cow
  • 1 Post By Southeast Power
  • 1 Post By mikesparky
  • 1 Post By LawnGuyLandSparky
  • 1 Post By inetdog

Old 12-21-2016, 07:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 324
Question Small Shop - Apprentice utilization

I ventured out on my own (residential, small jobs) approximately 1 year ago. I started the year working alone. It confirmed how much I dislike working alone and it also made some jobs impossible to do or incredibly inefficient. Within a few months I added an apprentice. I am on my third apprentice now. I have plenty of work and have kept both of us busy pretty much full time for a few months. My apprentice has a family to support and feeding him full time hours is important to him.

The challenge is that there are many tasks that do not require and cannot properly utilize two people. Particularly with a very green apprentice who cannot be left to start or continue jobs without me present. Most of these other tasks are administrative / sales in nature. Site visits for quotes, pulling permits, attending inspections, ordering and picking up stock are the most common things.

Wherever possible I perform these tasks outside of normal business hours. At times though it is not practical and I get incredibly overworked doing all of these activities outside of my base 40 hours.

What are some approaches others use to handle this? Any advice?

Cheers!

Jim
shocksystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
Government Services

Rewards Points: 4

Not really a subject in my realm of business as our company has varying levels of apprentices and drivers, but I will make an observation. Would you be better off with say a retired person part time to do the mundane running around an non skilled work and a part time apprentice with lesser financial needs? Both of these positions coming in under 35 hours a week total man hours.
shocksystems and readydave8 like this.
MCasey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MCasey For This Useful Post:
shocksystems (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #3
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 2,774

Can you afford to have him sitting on the phones, cleaning shop, vehicles, picking up dry cleaning? Maybe canvasing areas with flyers or trying to pound the pavement or cold calling and finding work? I only venture out to those odd areas because you really want to feed him hours.... Maybe try to increase some easier jobs for filler? Or have him shadow you even in 1 man places?
active1 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Majewski For This Useful Post:
shocksystems (12-21-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,592

What year is the apprentice? Our resi apprentices are JW's after a two year apprenticeship.
kg7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:22 PM   #5

Mcasey - Those are good suggestions. I really like the retired person to deal with the permits and maybe even meeting with the inspector. I also think that I might not be the best fit for an apprentice that needs to know he is getting 40 hours every week.
The Following User Says Thank You to shocksystems For This Useful Post:
Joe Sparky (12-22-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 08:23 PM   #6

Majewski - I do need to start him on cleaning up the shop (detached garage) when I have inspections to do, good idea.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg7879 View Post
What year is the apprentice? Our resi apprentices are JW's after a two year apprenticeship.
When he started with me a few months ago he had general construction experience but no experience as an electrical apprentice. He is still so green that I need to be there to make sure he knows what to do. He tries hard and he is learning, it is just that he is not there yet. No knock on him. In 6 months I expect it will be different. Making it more difficult is the fact that we do a whole bunch of different things, and most of them are old work. So it is not like he spends several weeks roughing in houses, practicing the same few things over and over again. We might do three recess lighting jobs and then not do recess lights for a few weeks, then run UF cable for a 3 day job and then not run it again for two months. Then run PVC underground to a hot tub, then not touch PVC for a few weeks ...
Joe Sparky likes this.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #8
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 2,774

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocksystems View Post
Majewski - I do need to start him on cleaning up the shop (detached garage) when I have inspections to do, good idea.
Always a challenge to keep helpers busy and "care" about their income....
It could be a lot easier once you have a good jw rolling. Then all you need to worry about is if those two can work together without you needing to babysit. lol
shocksystems and telsa like this.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #9
Government Services

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocksystems View Post
Mcasey - Those are good suggestions. I really like the retired person to deal with the permits and maybe even meeting with the inspector. I also think that I might not be the best fit for an apprentice that needs to know he is getting 40 hours every week.
Thank you. Every business needs a gopher or "water spider" that runs here and there mostly being a warm body for mundane tasks and an able body for the menial labor intenive tasks. You as a business owner need to increasingly focus on growing the business.
shocksystems and Majewski like this.
MCasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:12 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 384

You need an apprentice and It's the cost of doing business. When you grow a little more add a journeyman and then it will free up a lot of your time being that you can leave him and the apprentice to work together
active1, telsa and Majewski like this.
Julius793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:23 PM   #11
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,850

I thought the trick was to hire a j-man first and help him when he needs it? Then when it gets to be too much, give the j-man an apprentice?

It would be tough to have an apprentice when you're the only one in the shop.

I'd think I'd switch gears and hire a j-man stat, then you can focus on bids and growing the business.
active1, 51360, telsa and 1 others like this.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cow For This Useful Post:
Majewski (12-21-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 05:43 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 8,626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow View Post
I thought the trick was to hire a j-man first and help him when he needs it? Then when it gets to be too much, give the j-man an apprentice?

It would be tough to have an apprentice when you're the only one in the shop.

I'd think I'd switch gears and hire a j-man stat, then you can focus on bids and growing the business.
True this.
I spent 5 years doing it the wrong way like the OP. Much ragets.
The only thing keeping the OP on his tools is ego not economics.
active1 likes this.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:32 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 56

you should help him get a job at a company that can give him a proper apprenticeship and find some one who wants to work part time. He likely is a nice guy otherwise you wouldn't care to even make this post, you won't be doing him a favour just bouncing around doing odd jobs...

the other option is you charge the customer slightly more to have him there and hand you tools and shadow you, he would benefit huge from that also
Majewski likes this.
mikesparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Power View Post
True this.
I spent 5 years doing it the wrong way like the OP. Much ragets.
The only thing keeping the OP on his tools is ego not economics.
What the hell is a ragets? (Geez I may end up regretting this...)
Majewski likes this.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:10 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
What the hell is a ragets? (Geez I may end up regretting this...)
ragets --> regrets, I think.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Majewski likes this.
inetdog is offline   Reply With Quote