Stupid question about supplier pricing - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By paulengr
  • 1 Post By MTW

Old 07-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 336
Default Stupid question about supplier pricing

Do supplier put their pricing into some sort of online data base to be compared with other supplier?
Like in the case of Accubid, I have never used it before but can it be used for material cost comparison?
I am currently entering in prices from different suppliers quotes and building my own price list but I noticed that prices change almost daily.
newbie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 22,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie44 View Post
Do supplier put their pricing into some sort of online data base to be compared with other supplier?
Like in the case of Accubid, I have never used it before but can it be used for material cost comparison?
I am currently entering in prices from different suppliers quotes and building my own price list but I noticed that prices change almost daily.
There are daily pricing systems out there to subscribe to if you have the money.
I don't know if Tracer is still around but I was a subscriber for years back when it was a paper thing updated weekly and fit into a six ring desk binder. Pain in the ass to replace the fifty or so pages every week so secretary was assigned to the job just because I am a meany. It was a very helpful thing, but now it's easy to just get quotes from suppliers for the materials I am planning to use on jobs or bids by sending a list to quote over the net. My lists are fairly small these days compared to the monster projects I used to bid on.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,934

In my experience, most SH will put you into one of two groups, a standard discount based on your total purchases or they will build a "contract" with a specific supplier for specif items that you use regularly.

Right now I have a contract with Siemens for 6 months on their surge product line as part of a promotion our marketing guy wants to try. We are really looking at penetration more so then any sales, but if it works we know where and where not to spend money.

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2020, 03:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,022

Being a tool supplier, we get our prices from the manufacturers and discount to customers based on order size or the volume they do. Every manufacturer has different pricing structures, so discounts vary. I know it's a very different situation with purchasing wire and pipe, since the copper and steel are commodities, and prices do fluctuate daily. Like Navyguy said, you can sometimes negotiate longer term contracts to lock in at a certain price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rob-Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 602

Navyguy;5378070]In my experience, most SH will put you into one of two groups, a standard discount based on your total purchases or they will build a "contract" with a specific supplier for specif items that you use regularly.

Right now I have a contract with Siemens for 6 months on their surge product line as part of a promotion our marketing guy wants to try. We are really looking at penetration more so then any sales, but if it works we know where and where not to spend money.

Cheers
John[/quote]

This is exactly the way it was done with the two supply houses I worked for.

Last edited by Quickservice; 07-29-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Quickservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:30 PM   #6
See you at CBE

Rewards Points: 543

At least one of my suppliers will allow me to download a price list in Excel format. If you enter your suppliers part numbers into your spreadsheet, you should be able to utilize the vlookup to pull pricing in to your spreadsheet from their data semi-automatically.
Haven't had time to do it, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:55 PM   #7
Senile Member

Well well, its still around. I haven't used that since the first half of the 1990's. like I said, back then they featured paper version. Way different nowadays. https://www.tradeservice.com/product...al-contractors
Old 07-30-2020, 08:07 AM   #8
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie44 View Post

That is a clear violation of federal anti trust laws (collusion). That’s different from gathering public data on your competitors. There are some general business practices as far as accepted typical discounts. If you notice after several quotes usually everyone is within 10% there is a reason. If someone is unusually high or low there is a reason. Manufacturers typically discount 20% to retail to each other and 10% to installers

Good/better/best still matters. And labor vs material does too. Simpull can be worth the premium. Your image matters too. Some customers are fine with BX. Some might question IMC:
paulengr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #9
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 4,501

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulengr View Post
That is a clear violation of federal anti trust laws (collusion). That’s different from gathering public data on your competitors. There are some general business practices as far as accepted typical discounts. If you notice after several quotes usually everyone is within 10% there is a reason. If someone is unusually high or low there is a reason. Manufacturers typically discount 20% to retail to each other and 10% to installers

Good/better/best still matters. And labor vs material does too. Simpull can be worth the premium. Your image matters too. Some customers are fine with BX. Some might question IMC:
Lowe's and Home Depot put their prices on line. Are they violating federal anti-trust laws?
Old 07-31-2020, 05:16 PM   #10
MTW

Rewards Points: 12,921

I wish Hacky were here to give his input.

MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:41 PM   #11
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
Lowe's and Home Depot put their prices on line. Are they violating federal anti-trust laws?

Not at all. Gas Buddy is legal, too. And there is nothing illegal about sending “secret shoppers” in or asking what someone else quoted after the fact to see where you stand.

What you can’t do is Lowe’s can’t call HD and the two of them decide what to charge ahead of time. Private discussions are illegal. “Public” ones are not. With vendors. With consumers you can legally get a better deal than asking price. As long as every vendor is “freely” setting prices it is legal. You see it all the time when one gas station drops prices overnight then by the next afternoon every station has the exact same price, or the fact that almost nobody pays list prices on real estate.
flyboy likes this.
paulengr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:18 PM   #12
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 4,501

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post

Old 07-31-2020, 07:59 PM   #13
MTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
That really hurts.
flyboy likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to MTW For This Useful Post:
flyboy (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 08:17 PM   #14
See you at CBE

Rewards Points: 543

Quote:

Just buy everything from Northeast

Any of you MA, NH or ME guys who do business with Rockingham and want to know what they charge for an item. Get out your Northeast app and look up their price. Add 20% to it, and that's the price at Rockingham It's pretty damn accurate. Try it. As much as NE sucks, money talks.
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:14 PM   #15
MTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
Just buy everything from Northeast

Any of you MA, NH or ME guys who do business with Rockingham and want to know what they charge for an item. Get out your Northeast app and look up their price. Add 20% to it, and that's the price at Rockingham It's pretty damn accurate. Try it. As much as NE sucks, money talks.
Years ago my EC friend told me how great NE is, so I looked over his invoices. Almost everything was what you would pay at True Value and that was his "trade price." I vowed never to set foot in the place, ever. So, that being said, Rockingham sounds like Granite City.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:46 AM   #16
Senile Member

Quote:
Years ago my EC friend told me how great NE is, so I looked over his invoices. Almost everything was what you would pay at True Value and that was his "trade price." I vowed never to set foot in the place, ever. So, that being said, Rockingham sounds like Granite City.
You guy's prices are mere childs play. I will say one thing - Home Depot smoothed things out a bit. The monopoly was broken once they moved here and undercut all supply houses by half.