Electrician Talk banner

what to charge..

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  ACNJ 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any idea what pool bonding "agencies" are getting for their services these days..? and I am refering to the pool bonding certification that needs to be done every five years on public pools (or pools other than one or two family dwellings.)
Now I know what I charge for a day and I know how long it will take me to do the job but I dont want to short change myself if these agencies or EC's the bill themselves as agencies get for their services for such a task..Oh im not sure if this just applies to NJ.

#3 ·
How can you short change yourself,
The way some people look at things, myself included, is if you didn't get something that you might have been able to get, it counts as a loss.

If he charged his normal rate for the day, let's say $800, and then he finds out that other companies are charging a premium for that service averaging about $1,200, he might feel that he short changed himself $400.

#4 ·
I understand your way of thinking, its just not mine. I base all my prices based off my business costs and desired profit. I could care less what the other guys are charging. The time and effort that I could spend worrying about the competition can and is being used to promote work and giving better service. Plus I have to much on the plate to worry about what others are doing.
We are also on the higher end of pricing, that some here, would say we are too high.

#7 ·
Well, I honestly dont see the whole thing taking more than a few hours. And from what I gather not many EC's even want to do it because they dont understand what is involved.
I almost see this type of service as a niche market. And with that goes a higher rate.
If I can do this for the customer I will be able to secure several other accounts from the same management company. Granted they only do it every five years so its not gonna make me rich but definatly has a nice return on the profit margin. If all goes well I might acually splurge on a meter..

#14 · (Edited)
For some reason they are all starting at the same time and its just me and another guy...Its like the perfect storm...You see it coming but cant do anything.. I really dont think im too low....I had a really bad Jan and Feb and am probably doing more estimates than ever.....I was probably landing two out of 10 estimates.. Most of my work that is comming up is from regular customers that are ready for work...I really dont feel like hirring temp help, many of those guys just take production hours away from me... What I would really love is to be able to hire a good person with some decent resi experiance that does clean work and he could run all my resi work and I could concetrate on what I like to do..

#17 ·
We basically sub it to the Testing/Specialty contractor & tack on a %
I believe the last one we did they charged about $1,000.00 for the first pool (in a multiple pool complex)
I tack on a percentage plus add my guys time on job to inspect wiring, test GFIs etc and my time to coordinate & meet inspector on site.
I lump this all together in one price to the customer stipulating any repairs needed are additional.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.