How do you like your training? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Site Supporter Section > Square D by Schneider Electric

Like Tree22Likes
  • 4 Post By chicken steve
  • 4 Post By micromind
  • 2 Post By emtnut
  • 3 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By emtnut
  • 2 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By emtnut
  • 1 Post By Tonedeaf
  • 2 Post By MikeFL
  • 2 Post By Square D_Jordan

Old 01-19-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
Manufacturer

Rewards Points: 22
Default How do you like your training?

Continuing to learn and develop your skill set is vital in today's world, especially for electricians. There are many different ways of accessing training like in person training events, local apprenticeship programs, webinars, YouTube, detailed training documents, etc.

What ways do you prefer to access training? Are there others that aren't listed above that you're a fan of?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life Is On | Square D by Schneider Electric
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #2
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Different people learn differently Jordan

that said, having attended a few 'train the trainer' seminars in my past, one gem sticks....

people retain what they hear

people retain better what they hear and see

people retain better what they hear, see, and write

people retain better what they hear, see, write and do...

~CS~
Old 01-19-2017, 11:42 PM   #3
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 3,058

The only formal training I have is I attended a PLC class put on by one of the local supply houses about 12 years ago.

Other than that, I've learned from asking a bunch of questions (yes, some of them were Cletis caliber......lol......inside joke here at ET.com), reading just about everything I could get my hands on, looking stuff up on the web and simply thinking things through.

Some of it is natural talent. I really don't know how i know some of the the stuff I know, I just know it.

If you're willing to spend the time and are able to sift through the garbage and get to the real stuff, the web is an absolutely amazing source of knowledge. But be careful, there is a LOT of stuff out there that purported to be fact when it's actually just an opinion, and not a very good one at that.

Manufacturers websites are some of the best.

I think reading (books or computer) is better than a class. If I have a hard time understanding something, I can take as long as I need in order to get it. Not so with formal education.

One thing is for sure though, you'll never learn anything unless you have a thirst for knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2017, 01:06 AM   #4
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square D_Jordan View Post
What ways do you prefer to access training? Are there others that aren't listed above that you're a fan of?
By far, an instructor that has actually worked in the field, and that gives a 'hands on' course is best for learning.

There are some of us that would just like to take the material, and read it in 5 mins in our spare time ... but I think we're the minority.

Hands on, and the closer to 'real life work' .. the better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emtnut For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (01-20-2017), Square D_Jordan (01-24-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 01:38 AM   #5
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 2,896

I go for the hands on training in person with an instructor that has been in the field.

And don't forget, we need good coffee and no powered creamer.

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
Old 01-20-2017, 01:41 AM   #6
Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
I go for the hands on training in person with an instructor that has been in the field.

And don't forget, we need good coffee and no powered creamer.
Donuts go well with that coffee too ... We have standards
Square D_Jordan likes this.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:44 AM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
Donuts go well with that coffee too ... We have standards
Donuts go with cops, we are higher on the food chain and need fritters if pastry is going to be served.
Moonshot180 and emtnut like this.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:10 AM   #8
Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Donuts go with cops, we are higher on the food chain and need fritters if pastry is going to be served.
I was thinking they could take us out to the ballet after the course, but I was trying to be civil
chicken steve likes this.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:13 AM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
I was thinking they could take us out to the ballet after the course, but I was trying to be civil
Ballet, you need a long nap before you go back home after class?

Old 01-20-2017, 02:58 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

I prefer youtube....you can skip around and replay.

I am about to start my 34 hrs continuing education for my NJ license, my ass already hurts.
Square D_Jordan likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tonedeaf For This Useful Post:
Square D_Jordan (01-24-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedeaf View Post
I prefer youtube....you can skip around and replay.

I am about to start my 34 hrs continuing education for my NJ license, my ass already hurts.
WOW training has different dimensions than in my day.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:49 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square D_Jordan View Post
Continuing to learn and develop your skill set is vital in today's world, especially for electricians. There are many different ways of accessing training like in person training events, local apprenticeship programs, webinars, YouTube, detailed training documents, etc.

That depends on why the training is indicated.

If it's for a state license renewal (continuing education requirements) it's probably 50/50 between sitting somewhere or doing an online session. When I worked for government with fellow lazy government employees who do everything at the expense of others, it was nothing to go to some resort hotel for a week and do all of the continuing education.

Being retired from that as someone who now spends his own money, I'd rather do an online session from the comfort and convenience of home or office.

If the training is to install, maintain or operate something I'm not familiar with, I want to be able to go online and Google a model number and have all of the manufacturer's data sheets, spec sheets, manuals, etc. listed on a single page. Anything more than about 15 pages should have a Table of Contents and if you can make the Table of Contents have links that jump to those content areas, you'll be my hero!
splatz and Square D_Jordan like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
Old 01-23-2017, 12:21 PM   #13
AKA Luketrician

Rewards Points: 1,101

I attended a great training class on ABB Unitrol Excitation systems. Great class, and walking away..after that class I felt that I could set-up, tune, and effectively troubleshoot and diagonse any future glitches, problems..etc that may arise.

Unfortunately, after that class, I haven't had much hands on experience with the AVR that we operate. So, I feel some of that knowledge may have escaped me.

I was able to take pages, and pages of notes, and have a huge O&M training book along with a copy of all the associated drawings.

Point being:
Training is the easy part. Continuing education is the challenge, esp when in our field/trade..we are so diverse, in what we may be working on from. One day, could be voltage regulation, other days, it could be sump pump level switch troubleshooting...lol.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:35 PM   #14
Manufacturer

Rewards Points: 22

Thanks for all the great insight on training!

Don't forget you can always find continuing training, installation guides, and additional info in you Square D Contractor Portal! Just click here.

Life Is On | Square D by Schneider Electric