12 days until Surgery - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrician Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Like Tree27Likes

Old 10-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
Professional Nit Picker

Rewards Points: 2,158
Default 12 days until Surgery

After years of putting up with pain and numbness I am going for my neck surgery. I have been dealing with 2 degenerative discs in my neck for years and can no longer deal with it.

I will be in a neck brace for 6 - 8 weeks ,NO working, no driving, no lifting, no nothing.
My wife said she's confiscating the keys to the Jeep, the Harley, The pick up, and the lawn Tractor and will keep the keys to her car with her.

This should prove to be interesting . I already have some e-books lined up to read online from the library.
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #2
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

good luck

stock up on crab cakes, crab soup, crab balls, chesapeake bay oysters, and all the other goodies that I miss from up there

(don't miss the traffic tho, hehe)
MikeFL likes this.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Ouch and wish you the best of what you can do.

I know you will have a bit of free time so why not come in here to keep it enteranted here.,

I went thru with damaged knee cap before and my ex girlfrend that time she hold the key to everything beside the house key that is the only key I hold for a while.
manchestersparky likes this.
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2017, 07:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2

Good luck with both your surgery and your recovery. Remember, sleep is your recovery friend.
J F Go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,360

The upshot is that spine surgery has really come a long way just in the last 12 years or so. The downside is that it still hurts like hell and by the time you're healed, you'll be a full-blown opioid addict.
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RePhase277 For This Useful Post:
hardworkingstiff (10-19-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 38

6 - 8 weeks ,NO working, no driving, no lifting, no nothing.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good luck with the surgery.
Recovery is a B!tch!
Old 10-18-2017, 07:51 PM   #7
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,764

Best of luck.....you'll likely need it.......lol.

That sounds like a very long time to do.....well....nothing.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:05 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 636

best of luck with your surgery! just rember not to get to comfortable, the fun comes to an end LOL!
circuitman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:02 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchestersparky View Post
After years of putting up with pain and numbness I am going for my neck surgery. I have been dealing with 2 degenerative discs in my neck for years and can no longer deal with it.

I will be in a neck brace for 6 - 8 weeks ,NO working, no driving, no lifting, no nothing.
My wife said she's confiscating the keys to the Jeep, the Harley, The pick up, and the lawn Tractor and will keep the keys to her car with her.

This should prove to be interesting . I already have some e-books lined up to read online from the library.
What are they doing? Are they putting rods in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:22 AM   #10
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,615

Sucks to be you right now. Chin up old man. Think about all the glory days in sports when you were young while you while away the hours. It was all worth it.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:16 AM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,468

Please don't push it, follow the doc's orders or one will be the one that pays for it after.

Pain meds, dump them ASAP.

After my spinal surgery I rushed to get back to doing everything I did before and took all the pain meds as prescribed but they just take away the 'warning' pains that should have limited what I did physically.

Then there is the fact the pain meds affected my kidney function and could have killed me.

I hope all goes well with the surgery and healing process.

Do as the physical therapist tells you and get off the pain meds quick.

Best of luck bro!

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
hardworkingstiff (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 05:07 AM   #12
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Heal quickly Manchester....~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:39 AM   #13
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,396

Good luck @manchestersparky, I know these surgeries have improved a LOT in recent years, hope it fixes you up like brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Please don't push it, follow the doc's orders or one will be the one that pays for it after.

Pain meds, dump them ASAP.
I have had a lot more hospital time than I'd like the last few years (not me, friends and relatives) and I'll tell you it's no joke, doctors and nurses are really pushing the heavy pain meds, the opioids.

They are prescribing a ton of pain meds for things that have been managed OK in the past with very little or no narcotics. I've seen it first hand in some cases and heard the stories from some others. They really exaggerated the amount of pain you'd experience and explicitly told people they'd never get through without opioids.

Then they wonder why there's a narcotic addiction epidemic. It's no BS, the seeds are planted in HOSPITALS.
micromind and RePhase277 like this.

Last edited by splatz; 10-19-2017 at 06:43 AM.
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:54 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 138

Hope it all goes well

I agree with Mech....just send me all your percs

Texting and Driving
hardworkingstiff and MikeFL like this.
trentonmakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:42 AM   #15
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,468

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Good luck @manchestersparky, I know these surgeries have improved a LOT in recent years, hope it fixes you up like brand new.

I have had a lot more hospital time than I'd like the last few years (not me, friends and relatives) and I'll tell you it's no joke, doctors and nurses are really pushing the heavy pain meds, the opioids.

They are prescribing a ton of pain meds for things that have been managed OK in the past with very little or no narcotics. I've seen it first hand in some cases and heard the stories from some others. They really exaggerated the amount of pain you'd experience and explicitly told people they'd never get through without opioids.

Then they wonder why there's a narcotic addiction epidemic. It's no BS, the seeds are planted in HOSPITALS.

The prescription I was sent home with was two pills (Roxicett) every 3 hours as needed for pain.

It was a habit to take two every three hours in no time flat and I did just that until it was @90 a week for 6 years straight, until they affected my kidney function.

At that point I quit cold turkey.

Prior to that I was the type that never even took aspirin.
splatz likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #16
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,764

Quote:

I think a lot of this is because we've become a nation of whining sniveling sissy-faced wimps who demand immediate relief from any and every sort of pain.

It wasn't very long ago that we just worked our way through it, these days we're looking for any sort of a crutch to make life easier.
hardworkingstiff and splatz like this.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,844

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePhase277 View Post
The upshot is that spine surgery has really come a long way just in the last 12 years or so. The downside is that it still hurts like hell and by the time you're healed, you'll be a full-blown opioid addict.
Not everyone becomes an opiod addict. In fact, very few become addicts.

Quote:
Good luck really pushing the heavy pain meds, the opioids.

I see the exact opposite here in my state and county. Doctors are making patients quit and many older doctors are retiring. The new young doctors are in the fight.
The losers are the people that actually need round the clock pain relief.
Opioid prescribing is way down and people are being forced out of treatment.
People that are not the problem.
Heroin dealers are quite happy as all that business will now go to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
I think a lot of this is because we've become a nation of whining sniveling sissy-faced wimps who demand immediate relief from any and every sort of pain.
It wasn't very long ago that we just worked our way through it, these days we're looking for any sort of a crutch to make life easier.
I think your just getting old and don't want to.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #18
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 2,164

Best of luck @manchestersparky
Signal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 4

Best of luck, Neck surgery is not as bad as back and others. I had no pane at all never needed any pain killers. sitting around in that brace is a bother. Does make it hard to read, cannot bend down at neck so have to hold book up. You will do great.

Steve
Sblk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 1,330

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
Not everyone becomes an opiod addict. In fact, very few become addicts.

Very true, in fact, the technical term would not consider you an addict but rather, opioid dependent. There is a big difference between an opioid addict and being opioid dependent.

You will have to detox, so to speak and it isn't so bad unless you go cold turkey-- not recommended.
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
John Valdes (10-20-2017)