Cable TV/Internet/Phone ( Xfinity) - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrician Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)


Like Tree15Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
Professional Nit Picker
 
manchestersparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,261
Rewards Points: 2,158
Default Cable TV/Internet/Phone ( Xfinity)

I guess It can be said I have been negligent in knowing the price I was paying for service from Xfinity. We fell into the routine of just paying the bill when we got the email the bill was ready. I think this is because when I received a paper bill I looked at every page, but for some reason with the electronic one we just scheduled payment. My Fault and I know it & own it.

Anyway - I have since cancelled cable TV, and have installed my own Modem/ Router. This move has saved us about $200 a month for the next 12 months. The account was in my wife's name. She cancelled it and I signed up as a new customer and got a 1 year intro rate for Internet service. Both my kids did the same thing about 2 or 3 years ago and don't miss it at all.
The only options we have other then Xfinity are satellite and from what I hear that's just as bad and satellite internet sucks.

Curious how many others have done this same type of thing
__________________
Anything Worth Doing ....
Is Worth Doing Right
manchestersparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #2
Mensa Player
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 33,750
Rewards Points: 671
Default

I haven’t had a home phone in almost 20 years. I canceled cable about 10 or 11 years ago. Since then I’ve been paying $50 per month for high-speed Internet. Every year they try to raise it up to $70 or so, and I go through the normal crap of telling them I’m going to cancel, and then getting sent to the retention department that gives me a faster package for $50 LOL.

I pay for Netflix since I have been using their service since it started a long time ago. I also pay for Amazon prime, although I don’t watch much on their streaming service. I use a family member’s cable login in order to get free streaming from HBO go, Showtime, Stars, etc. No, it’s not stealing because I would never pay for that in the first place.
manchestersparky likes this.
__________________
I'm trying to think, but nothing happens.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
German Spy
 
Helmut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: THE United States Of America
Posts: 3,594
Rewards Points: 3,873
Default

Following this thread closely.

Verizon bill @ $275 month.

cable, slow internet, and home phone only.

Cell packages through business
__________________
I see nooothing, I was not here.
I did not even get up this morning.
Helmut is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #4
Mensa Player
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 33,750
Rewards Points: 671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Following this thread closely.

Verizon bill @ $275 month.

cable, slow internet, and home phone only.

Cell packages through business
Do you have kids at home? If not, getting rid of the home phone is pretty easy. It’s a good first step.

Then you have to start streaming and see if you could get into that. If you’re like many people and would prefer to stream whatever you want to watch at the time, instead of having to watch the garbage that the cable company chooses to broadcast at that time, then it’s easy to cancel cable.
__________________
I'm trying to think, but nothing happens.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #5
German Spy
 
Helmut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: THE United States Of America
Posts: 3,594
Rewards Points: 3,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Do you have kids at home? If not, getting rid of the home phone is pretty easy. It’s a good first step.

Then you have to start streaming and see if you could get into that. If you’re like many people and would prefer to stream whatever you want to watch at the time, instead of having to watch the garbage that the cable company chooses to broadcast at that time, then it’s easy to cancel cable.
0 kids, wife likes home phone for some reason.
All local stuff I suppose I could get with an HD attenna.
Q= what entertainment channels are streamable? Wife gotta have her shows...
__________________
I see nooothing, I was not here.
I did not even get up this morning.
Helmut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
Mensa Player
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 33,750
Rewards Points: 671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
0 kids, wife likes home phone for some reason.
All local stuff I suppose I could get with an HD attenna.
Q= what entertainment channels are streamable? Wife gotta have her shows...
At this point most channels can be found available to stream under some service.

The problem is that as streaming gets more popular and more people cancel cable, the price of streaming will rise. It's already starting to happen, lots of content that was available thru Netflix/Hulu/etc. for their base monthly fee has now been taken back by the owner and put out on their own streaming service, which you now have to pay for. So instead of paying 1 big cable bill, in the future you may have to pay many little streaming bills.

But depending on what content you enjoy, it might still be cheaper, it may have less (or no) commercials. And you watch what you want when you want, instead of watching what they feel like broadcasting at that time, which is silly and just a hold-over from the old fashion way when it was necessary to do that.
__________________
I'm trying to think, but nothing happens.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 724
Rewards Points: 1,387
Default

Go to your cable company web page where you would sign up for new service. Tell them your real address when prompted. If it asks if you are an existing customer, select the option that you are a new customer moving to this address. Don't login if it asks you to. This will show you all of the deals they are offering new customers. Find the package, or you willing to switch to.
Call customer service, go through their voicemail BS and tell them you want to cancel. When you get a real person, tell them you want to schedule cancelling your service for the end of the month or billing cycle. you do this so if you get an operator on a bad day, They won't just cancel you in one shot.
When they ask why, tell them it has gotten too expensive. They will throw a token offer at you for a few bucks a month, or some free channel, or dangle some other carrot in front of you. Reject their offer and tell them your "friend up the street" just signed up for x package (the one you read about earlier) and you want to switch to that one.
Never failed with this method. If they won't offer the package you want, leave the scheduled cancellation in place, hang up and try again. Worst that happens is you don't get a deal from them and you cancel your cancellation date or take their other offer.
HackWork and Helmut like this.
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeSparky For This Useful Post:
HackWork (09-14-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #8
Mensa Player
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 33,750
Rewards Points: 671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
Go to your cable company web page where you would sign up for new service. Tell them your real address when prompted. If it asks if you are an existing customer, select the option that you are a new customer moving to this address. Don't login if it asks you to. This will show you all of the deals they are offering new customers. Find the package, or you willing to switch to.
Call customer service, go through their voicemail BS and tell them you want to cancel. When you get a real person, tell them you want to schedule cancelling your service for the end of the month or billing cycle. you do this so if you get an operator on a bad day, They won't just cancel you in one shot.
When they ask why, tell them it has gotten too expensive. They will throw a token offer at you for a few bucks a month, or some free channel, or dangle some other carrot in front of you. Reject their offer and tell them your "friend up the street" just signed up for x package (the one you read about earlier) and you want to switch to that one.
Never failed with this method. If they won't offer the package you want, leave the scheduled cancellation in place, hang up and try again. Worst that happens is you don't get a deal from them and you cancel your cancellation date or take their other offer.
Yup! There is no reason to talk to a normal representative. You always say that you want to cancel, which they then send you to the retentions department.

Every year I play with this. I will talk to the rep asking for the same $50 package that I had, and they say that they can't. Then I say to cancel my account and I will go to FIOS. So they send me to retentions and they offer me an even better package lol
__________________
I'm trying to think, but nothing happens.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
Hackenschmidt
 
splatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8,499
Rewards Points: 4,396
Default

The cable companies have really mastered creeping that bill up under your radar.

Keep an eye on where there's really competition and choices, it's going to get ugly in a lot of places. There's two kinds of service, wired and wireless. Wireless with cellular providers is pretty expensive bandwidth. There are wifi internet service providers, but they haven't really taken off like some predicted. Satellite isn't really going to work out for internet.

Wired service boils down to who has twisted pair (telephone) or coax (cable tv) or fiber on the poles or in the manholes where you live. Phone cable isn't keeping up with the bandwidth people want today, and fiber isn't going to come to sparsely populated areas any time real soon. Awful lot of places cable providers are the only real choice.

Cable companies are creeping up what they charge for internet-only. One way or another, it's going to be hard to avoid getting held up by cable companies because they effectively are a monopoly so many places.
CoolWill likes this.
__________________
Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #10
Mensa Player
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 33,750
Rewards Points: 671
Default

One thing that not everyone understands is that bandwidth isn't speed, or at least not the speed that they want.

If you have a package with let's say 25mbps down and 10 up, and you find that webpages are loading slow, raising your package to 200 down or even 1000 down will not help.

More bandwidth will allow more data to come in at one time. But the speed for website loading and many other things is dependent on your latency (which you can't change) and also your computer, browser, and the server uploading the website in the first place.

Many people will pay more for a faster package, but it doesn't help them at all. If you have 4 people living in your house and 2 of them are always gaming and the other 2 are always streaming HD, then the higher bandwidth packages are important. But to stream 1 HD feed at a time with one other person randomly Facebooking, 25mbps is fine, 50 is more than enough, and 200 is a waste of money.

Don't let them upsell you. In my house we did the last year with 25 down and 5 up and it was fine. Now I have 260 down and I haven't noticed a difference.
__________________
I'm trying to think, but nothing happens.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: US
Posts: 3,330
Rewards Points: 1,876
Default

We could all have faster internet for cheaper if the ISP's weren't buying laws against it.

https://broadbandnow.com/report/muni...nd-roadblocks/

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
HackWork likes this.
TGGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #12
Band Member
 
emtnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 5,822
Rewards Points: 1,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
0 kids, wife likes home phone for some reason.
All local stuff I suppose I could get with an HD attenna.
Q= what entertainment channels are streamable? Wife gotta have her shows...
Not really such a thing as an "HD" antenna.
Digital signal, but still analog transmission.
The only thing an HD antenna has (actually what it dosen't have) is the higher old frequencies that were sold to the cell companies.

Depending on where you live, you'd be surprised with what you get with rabbit ears.

Fun fact ... The 'over the air' signal is full bandwidth, it's actually better than the MPEG-2 that you receive on satellite or cable.
Attached Images
 
HertzHound likes this.
__________________
_____________________________________
Your Mother was a hamster, and your father smells of Elderberries. ... Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #13
Hackenschmidt
 
splatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8,499
Rewards Points: 4,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
All local stuff I suppose I could get with an HD attenna.
@Bird dog posted this guy's YouTube channel, some very good info:



https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyS...J21B3Jo3HcWMTQ



A lot of cord cutters use the antenna for sports and local news.



A relative needed to trim his household budget and asked if I could help with the phone / cell / TV / internet bills. We switched him to a prepaid cellular plan with "unlimited" data - like most, slows you down if you exceed a certain amount, but with this plan for $55 a month, he never watches enough streaming content to go over.



He can cast his phone to his TV to watch it full size. He got Netflix and Hulu which got him plenty to watch, but not football. I installed an antenna on his roof for football and local news etc. He likes just putting on the local stations for some noise in the house when he's not really watching TV.



He's under $100 a month for everything - cell, phone, data, TV.
Bird dog likes this.
__________________
Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Bird dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South East US
Posts: 5,088
Rewards Points: 1,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
@Bird dog posted this guy's YouTube channel, some very good info:



https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyS...J21B3Jo3HcWMTQ



A lot of cord cutters use the antenna for sports and local news.
All I have is AT&T internet & watch cable channels on this free streaming site...
http://watchnewslive.tv/
and it's more than just news. It has many of the big names.
Channel list on the right are links.


emtnut, splatz and CoolWill like this.
__________________
Popcorn munching forum observer
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." Sun Tzu

Last edited by Bird dog; 09-14-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Bird dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bird dog For This Useful Post:
splatz (09-14-2019), T-Steve (09-14-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 07:08 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
CoolWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SC
Posts: 2,186
Rewards Points: 2,654
Default

I was in a hotel recently and tried watching cable TV. What a waste of time that is. I have no idea how I managed to ever do it. My. God.
micromind, HackWork and B-Nabs like this.
__________________
I'm With Her! Hillary 2016
CoolWill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CoolWill For This Useful Post:
HackWork (09-14-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 07:38 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
HertzHound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: East coast
Posts: 530
Rewards Points: 882
Default

I was thinking about getting rid of triple play and just keeping the internet. My TV hasn’t been on in a week. When it is on it’s just morning news while I’m in the other room. I have FIOS, but when I had cable the HD off the antenna was a better picture.

Two months ago I noticed my bill was a little higher. I was thinking late charge, but I pay the bills on time. I look into the difference in the bill from the month before. They raised the price of my DVR box by seven dollars. It’s the same box I’ve had for ten years. So I call them up and ask WTF, my DVR just got a raise. I could see if the companies cost went up, but it’s the same box. They told me because of the age there expecting service requests or increased cost to them in the future. Bu!!****. They did the same to me with my router because it was an older model. I don’t know why I’m more tolerant with Verizon. If they were a cable company I would have canceled by now.
__________________
Why say lot words when few words do trick
HertzHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Bird dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South East US
Posts: 5,088
Rewards Points: 1,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HertzHound View Post
I was thinking about getting rid of triple play and just keeping the internet. My TV hasn’t been on in a week. When it is on it’s just morning news while I’m in the other room. I have FIOS, but when I had cable the HD off the antenna was a better picture.

Two months ago I noticed my bill was a little higher. I was thinking late charge, but I pay the bills on time. I look into the difference in the bill from the month before. They raised the price of my DVR box by seven dollars. It’s the same box I’ve had for ten years. So I call them up and ask WTF, my DVR just got a raise. I could see if the companies cost went up, but it’s the same box. They told me because of the age there expecting service requests or increased cost to them in the future. Bu!!****. They did the same to me with my router because it was an older model. I don’t know why I’m more tolerant with Verizon. If they were a cable company I would have canceled by now.
Can you buy your own box?
__________________
Popcorn munching forum observer
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." Sun Tzu
Bird dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #18
Mensa Player
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 33,750
Rewards Points: 671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HertzHound View Post
I have FIOS, but when I had cable the HD off the antenna was a better picture.
Yeah, broadcasted HD is better quality since it is uncompressed. Cable tries to fit as many channels in as possible so they compress the hell out of them.

As for what you said, you are definitely a potential cord cutter. Cancel cable, keep a $50 internet plan and your antenna. Get a $50 Roku or an HDMI cable to connect your laptop to the TV. There is lots of free stuff or cheap streaming like $13 Netflix or Hulu.
__________________
I'm trying to think, but nothing happens.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:55 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
HertzHound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: East coast
Posts: 530
Rewards Points: 882
Default

I was going to buy my own router but never did. I don’t think I can buy my own DVR box. I probably could buy my own DVR and get a standard set top box. I don’t know how much that would save.

My old TV had a spot where you could plug in a card from the provider and eliminate the cable box. But Verizon said they don’t do that. That TV is gone now. The bulb for the DLP rear projection got to costly.
__________________
Why say lot words when few words do trick
HertzHound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HertzHound For This Useful Post:
Bird dog (09-14-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
HertzHound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: East coast
Posts: 530
Rewards Points: 882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Yeah, broadcasted HD is better quality since it is uncompressed. Cable tries to fit as many channels in as possible so they compress the hell out of them.

As for what you said, you are definitely a potential cord cutter. Cancel cable, keep a $50 internet plan and your antenna. Get a $50 Roku or an HDMI cable to connect your laptop to the TV. There is lots of free stuff or cheap streaming like $13 Netflix or Hulu.
I have a home built Raspberry Pi that I stream movies from Exodus with. There are tons of repositories to link up with. Some are hit or mis. Exodus always seems to work though. No service fee.
HackWork likes this.
__________________
Why say lot words when few words do trick
HertzHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com