Corned Beef Smoked like a Brisket - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrician Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)


Like Tree30Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2019, 08:34 AM   #1
Semper Fi
 
Southeast Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,356
Rewards Points: 7,374
Default Corned Beef Smoked like a Brisket

St. Paddys day coming up and the stores are full of corned beef. To me, they looked like cyro packed briskets.
I proudly brought one home and the wifey reminds me they are packaged in somewhat of a pickling brine. Dang it.
Im not stubborn, just interested in seeing the mission through.
The results. are interesting and highly recommended.
John is going to pipe in and tell me I almost made a pastrami:


Sliced:

Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-09-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
Hackenschmidt
 
splatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,689
Rewards Points: 2,782
Default

If you made it taste good, that's not authentic Irish food.
__________________
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;
for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom,
in the grave, whither thou goest.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:53 AM   #3
Senior Moment
 
drsparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Presque Isle, Maine
Posts: 7,468
Rewards Points: 414
Default

Looks good, it will be a while before I can get my grill out to try it.
__________________
Sent by Commodore Vic 20 with 9.6K modem
drsparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #4
Semper Fi
 
Southeast Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,356
Rewards Points: 7,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsparky View Post
Looks good, it will be a while before I can get my grill out to try it.
I use a Kamado as a smoker. It is a little smokey but doesn't at all have a smoke ring.
The Kamado is pretty much an oven. I suspect you could have just about the same result inside using an oven.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #5
Russian Bot
 
Helmut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: THE United States Of America
Posts: 3,321
Rewards Points: 3,873
Default

225 for 6 hrs?
How many pound brisket?
__________________
Alright, Alright, Alright... I'll tell you what to do. Go that way, reeeeeeeeeally fast. If something gets in your way......turn.
Helmut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
Semper Fi
 
Southeast Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,356
Rewards Points: 7,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
225 for 6 hrs?
How many pound brisket?
4lbs and about 10 hours at 220 deg f
Helmut likes this.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #7
Gold Pliers Champion
 
Signal1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Boston Area
Posts: 2,178
Rewards Points: 1,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
If you made it taste good, that's not authentic Irish food.
I grew up on baked potatoes.

I'd be happy if I never saw a f**ing potato for the rest of my life.

JR's corned beef looks really good though, not boiled into oblivion like gulag prison slop you see on St. Patrick's day around here.
MechanicalDVR and splatz like this.
Signal1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Signal1 For This Useful Post:
Southeast Power (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #8
Moderator
 
John Valdes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 15,346
Rewards Points: 2,340
Default

John you guessed it. You turned a corned beef brisket into pastrami. I love pastrami.
I have never done this and have planned to do it when I had the chance.
But St. Patrick's day for us calls for corned beef.
Simmered in boiling water with included spice package for 1 hour per pound.

@Signal1 Traditional corned beef brisket is braised or boiled because it takes a while to get tender. 1 hour per pound.
It is the only beef I would ever do this too. Its cured after all. Its the right way and the best way IMO.
My mom made hers in the oven covered tightly with foil basically doing the same thing as simmering/boiling.

John what did you coat it with before cooking? Coarse black pepper?
dronai likes this.
John Valdes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #9
Senior Moment
 
drsparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Presque Isle, Maine
Posts: 7,468
Rewards Points: 414
Default

I put my corned beef in my Instant Pot for 90 minuets and it comes out perfect.
__________________
Sent by Commodore Vic 20 with 9.6K modem
drsparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:57 PM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 57,625
Rewards Points: 17,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal1 View Post
I grew up on baked potatoes.

I'd be happy if I never saw a f**ing potato for the rest of my life.

JR's corned beef looks really good though, not boiled into oblivion like gulag prison slop you see on St. Patrick's day around here.
I didn't grow up with potatoes at all but I don't care for them.

Can't recall the last time I had a baked potato.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:11 PM   #11
Semper Fi
 
Southeast Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,356
Rewards Points: 7,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
John you guessed it. You turned a corned beef brisket into pastrami. I love pastrami.
I have never done this and have planned to do it when I had the chance.
But St. Patrick's day for us calls for corned beef.
Simmered in boiling water with included spice package for 1 hour per pound.

@Signal1 Traditional corned beef brisket is braised or boiled because it takes a while to get tender. 1 hour per pound.
It is the only beef I would ever do this too. Its cured after all. Its the right way and the best way IMO.
My mom made hers in the oven covered tightly with foil basically doing the same thing as simmering/boiling.

John what did you coat it with before cooking? Coarse black pepper?
John,
It's in the video but, I spiced it up like a brisket. Montreal seasoning, Everglades Heat, and some light brown sugar as a cheat to make a crispy bark. For this one, I sprinkled the corned beef seasoning packet over the top of it to keep it somewhat experimental.
John Valdes and Signal1 like this.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #12
Moderator
 
John Valdes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 15,346
Rewards Points: 2,340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsparky View Post
I put my corned beef in my Instant Pot for 90 minuets and it comes out perfect.
Of course your instant pot is also a pressure cooker? I am asking.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
John Valdes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #13
Senior Moment
 
drsparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Presque Isle, Maine
Posts: 7,468
Rewards Points: 414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
Of course your instant pot is also a pressure cooker? I am asking.
Instant Pot is a pressure cooker, slow cooker, yogurt maker, rice cooker all in one.
__________________
Sent by Commodore Vic 20 with 9.6K modem
drsparky is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drsparky For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (03-17-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 06:40 PM   #14
Moderator
 
John Valdes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 15,346
Rewards Points: 2,340
Default

I don't have an Instant Pot. But figured it had to have that ability. Faster and the same results.
Do you do cabbage and potato's too? Its traditional but we just piled several inches of thinly sliced corned beef on bread. Rye in particular.

I still do not have my corned beef yet.
John Valdes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:57 PM   #15
Moderator
 
John Valdes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 15,346
Rewards Points: 2,340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
I don't have an Instant Pot. But figured it had to have that ability. Faster and the same results.
Do you do cabbage and potato's too? Its traditional but we just piled several inches of thinly sliced corned beef on bread. Rye in particular.

I still do not have my corned beef yet.
I went today and they were out of corned beef!
I was looking forward to those piled high sammies on fresh rye bread and favorite mustard. ****.
John Valdes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:39 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
gnuuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: nw. Pa.
Posts: 1,759
Rewards Points: 1,524
Default

i cant tolerate corned beef at all!
way too much salt!
ever since doc put me on a low salt diet and my body got used to it it just upsets my stomach too much (anything too salty upsets my stomach)

I like homemade no salt potato chips (baked)
I do use some salt but very very little!


brisket i like to marinate in Boston lager, rub with garlic and cracked pepper and hickory smoke it. with a good molasses based bbq sauce
__________________
ive been shocked so many times that my eyes light up and i fart lightning bolts.

Miracle (mere-ack-ull):the aspirations of the indigent, The expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.
gnuuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:11 AM   #17
Can't Remember
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 8,820
Rewards Points: 608
Default

I remember some of the stuff we had on St Patricks day growing up... I think more like what Splatz was talking about. Sorry Mom, we miss you. That said, what came out of that smoker looks pretty good. I think though we are partially Irish (according to 23 and me) the most Irish we'll do today is split the last Guinness in the fridge. May find a green shirt though now that you mention it.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #18
Moderator
 
John Valdes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 15,346
Rewards Points: 2,340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuuser View Post
i cant tolerate corned beef at all!
way too much salt!
ever since doc put me on a low salt diet and my body got used to it it just upsets my stomach too much (anything too salty upsets my stomach)

I like homemade no salt potato chips (baked)
I do use some salt but very very little!


brisket i like to marinate in Boston lager, rub with garlic and cracked pepper and hickory smoke it. with a good molasses based bbq sauce
People on low salt diets can eat corned beef if its soaked in cold water overnight and rinsed several times.
Of course some salt remains. It is a cured product.
I would not want to live without salt. It is by far the most important addition to any type of food.
I would give up many other so called bad things before I would consider a salt free diet. I could stomach a low salt diet if it was life or death.
stuiec likes this.
John Valdes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:23 PM   #19
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 57,625
Rewards Points: 17,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsparky View Post
Instant Pot is a pressure cooker, slow cooker, yogurt maker, rice cooker all in one.
Can I ask what brand and how you like it?
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #20
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 57,625
Rewards Points: 17,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp3 View Post
I remember some of the stuff we had on St Patricks day growing up... I think more like what Splatz was talking about. Sorry Mom, we miss you. That said, what came out of that smoker looks pretty good. I think though we are partially Irish (according to 23 and me) the most Irish we'll do today is split the last Guinness in the fridge. May find a green shirt though now that you mention it.
Southeast Power likes this.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com