Education? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrician Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Old 01-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 3,208
Default Education?

A board member in Washington DC wants to make it a requirement that students must take the SAT or the ACT to graduate high school in addition students will be required to apply to at least one college or trade school.

Seems to me, DC is in for an increase in the drop out rate. DC has one of the highest drop out rates in the USA, yet they feel this will help increase the graduation rate?

In an adjacent county they opened 5 newly renovated elementary schools, with full size high school style lockers. One principal was quoted as saying this will prepare the 5-12 year olds for middle school and high school.

SEEMs A GIANT WASTE OF MONEY.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 9,066

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
A board member in Washington DC wants to make it a requirement that students must take the SAT or the ACT to graduate high school in addition students will be required to apply to at least one college or trade school.

Seems to me, DC is in for an increase in the drop out rate. DC has one of the highest drop out rates in the USA, yet they feel this will help increase the graduation rate?

In an adjacent county they opened 5 newly renovated elementary schools, with full size high school style lockers. One principal was quoted as saying this will prepare the 5-12 year olds for middle school and high school.

OK then, Any better ideas? We are winding down the war machine. They can't take too many more. Where do we put them? Jail?
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
Chairman of the Bored

Rewards Points: 2,540

I had to take both.
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,012

Brian. You live there- I just visit.

Look around. DC is probably the worst city in the Country.

They Can take the SAT,MAT,OAT,PAT PDQ,WRE.HJU,GJK,LSA,PSA,LKJ,MNB, ABC. Won't make a difference.

Politicians bring nothing but bad Ilk to a community.
leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Quote:

a board member of what?

ministry of propaganda?

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrannis View Post
OK then, Any better ideas? We are winding down the war machine. They can't take too many more. Where do we put them? Jail?

Who are the 'Them' you speak of?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKill View Post
I had to take both.

Who MADE you?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post
a board member of what?

ministry of propaganda?

~CS~

From WJLA

On Wednesday, D.C. Council chair Kwame Brown introduced legislation requiring all District high school students to take the ACT or SAT before graduating. Students would also be required to apply to at least one college, including trade schools and the military.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by leland View Post
Who are the 'Them' you speak of?
People that will not or for whatever reason cannot get any type of secondary education.
Them, is the they, coming out of or dropping out of High School.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #10

Quote:
OK then, Any better ideas?
No.

Quote:
We are winding down the war machine. They can't take too many more. Where do we put them? Jail?
But DC have some of the worse performing schools in the nation, getting the masses pass 9th grade and prepared to work, might be better than requiring something that will result in even fewer graduations.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #11

Quote:
People that will not or for whatever reason cannot get any type of secondary education.
Them, is the they, coming out of or dropping out of High School.

Thank you.

This however is not societies fault.

There are more than enough opportunities and programs for ANYONE to participate in personal advancement,If they elect to take the time and EFFORT to afford themselves the opportunity.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #12

Quote:
From WJLA

On Wednesday, D.C. Council chair Kwame Brown introduced legislation requiring all District high school students to take the ACT or SAT before graduating. Students would also be required to apply to at least one college, including trade schools and the military.
I would be interested in knowing who administers the test. Private company maybe?

We have something here in Florida called the FCAT. It is something they had in Texas and brought to florida. Its a big worthless waste of time and money.
Guess what, the company that sells the program is tied to two brothers that were Governors of Texas and Florida. One was just barely elected President, twice.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,124

whatever happened to the land of the free?
mbednarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbednarik View Post
whatever happened to the land of the free?

Old 01-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #15

I should add DC has spending for education that is one of the highest in the nation with one of the poorest performing school system. No bang for the buck.

They had a new superintendent of schools, but the union hated her, as her reforms were actually turning the schools around as she fired slackers. The unions backed the new mayor and his first act was to fire her, after she was named top superintendent of the year nationwide and a documentary was made about how her changes were improving the school system

Last edited by brian john; 01-04-2012 at 09:21 PM.
brian john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by leland View Post
Thank you.

This however is not societies fault.

There are more than enough opportunities and programs for ANYONE to participate in personal advancement,If they elect to take the time and EFFORT to afford themselves the opportunity.
It doesn't just happen. Other people have to teach and guide you. Look at how many people come here looking for advice on how to get into our trade. I would classify them a very resourceful and a head above most for just being able to get on line to find this forum.
Some have no access or don't know where to even go for help. The kind of stuff we take for granted sometimes.

It is not the fault of the entire "society". The responsibility is on those who know about a problem in our society and choose to look the other way and do nothing.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #17

Quote:
I should add DC has spending for education is one of the highest in the nation with one of the poorest performing school system. No bang for the buck.

They had a new superintendent of schools, but the union hated her, as her reforms were actually turning the schools around as she fired slackers. The unions backed the new mayor and his first act was to fire her, after she was named top superintendent of the year nationwide and a documentary was made about how her changes were improving the school system
That's her. Lived by the sword and died by the sword. The problem is not the people, its the leadership.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #18

Quote:
1)It doesn't just happen. Other people have to teach and guide you. Look at how many people come here looking for advice on how to get into our trade. I would classify them a very resourceful and a head above most for just being able to get on line to find this forum.
Some have no access or don't know where to even go for help. The kind of stuff we take for granted sometimes.

It is not the fault of the entire "society".2) The responsibility is on those who know about a problem in our society and choose to look the other way and do nothing.

1) Correct. So where are the leaders/guiders/role models of the home, That only 'want better for theirs than they had.'

Thats where it starts.

2) I think 'WE' ME have DONE, OFFERED and PROVIDED enough. At some point you/they must use the tools given..

Darwin was on to something.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #19

Depends who you ask.

Folks like jrannis and the Huffington posters will tell you that the only option is keep throwing tax payer money at it and sooner or later it should correct itself.

Or blame someone else, that appears to be the new norm.
10492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #20

And studies have shown where there is parental involvement there is a higher percentage of graduations.
10492 (01-04-2012), leland (01-04-2012)