Help with community project. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrician Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By MDShunk
  • 6 Post By flyboy
  • 2 Post By readydave8
  • 1 Post By gnuuser
  • 1 Post By SISYPHUS
  • 1 Post By rrolleston
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR

Old 08-22-2018, 08:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,134
Default Help with community project.

Not sure if this is allowed but I am trying to install a dry hydrant at a vacant property of ours. Noticed no water source for 3 miles. And we have a nice pond for a water source. I applied for all the permits and now am able to get some materials but was wondering if anyone wanted to help with a community project with me. Noticed the hose connection and low water level strainer are quite expensive. Any help would be appreciated. Any money not used for the project will be donated to the local fire department.

https://www.gofundme.com/warrensburg...ant-viele-pond

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2018, 09:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,887

Which begs the question.............Why?
If it's a vacant property, what's the purpose? Fire hydrants are for structure fires, not brush fires.

You're property taxes should cover the "county provided" fire suppression.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
Which begs the question.............Why?
If it's a vacant property, what's the purpose? Fire hydrants are for structure fires, not brush fires.

You're property taxes should cover the "county provided" fire suppression.
I am doing it for the nearby property owners about a dozen+ houses up that way with no nearby source of water. Nearest hydrant 5 miles away nearest dry hydrant 3+ miles away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2018, 11:10 PM   #4
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

I dunno man. There's probably a thousand "farm ponds" in my area and the fire department pumpers all have that funny stiff hose thing on the side with a strainer on the end they just flop in the pond and pump water out. No dry hydrant necessary. Seems like an unnecessary expense.
flyboy likes this.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 7,887

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolleston View Post
I am doing it for the nearby property owners about a dozen+ houses up that way with no nearby source of water. Nearest hydrant 5 miles away nearest dry hydrant 3+ miles away.

Okay, so whats your motivation? With the excessive property taxes in NY, why isn't the county doing their "civic duty" in providing at the very least, WATER? Is there public road access to these properties? Do they all have wells? Is this an unincorporated area? Why don't the property owners chipping in? If you're providing the pond water, the least they could do is find a way to get it there.
What am I missing?
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:32 AM   #6
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
I dunno man. There's probably a thousand "farm ponds" in my area and the fire department pumpers all have that funny stiff hose thing on the side with a strainer on the end they just flop in the pond and pump water out. No dry hydrant necessary. Seems like an unnecessary expense.
They often can't truck tankers in fast enough,aerial platforms can use 1000GPM, and choppin' holes in ice in the dead of winter takes time

Last edited by SISYPHUS; 08-23-2018 at 06:55 AM.
SISYPHUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #7
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 4,255

Quote:
Originally Posted by SISYPHUS View Post
They often can't truck tankers in fast enough,aerial platforms can use 1000GPM, and choppin' holes in ice in the dead of winter takes time
Ever try getting water from a frozen hydrant?

What about access to the hydrant? Whose going to insure that the snow is clear and it's dry enough to get a rig in there without it sinking up to its axles?

Aside from that, as a thirty plus year veteran of the fire service and retired NYS Fire Instructor, I can tell you that water, as high as it is on the priority list, a higher priority for the preservation of life and property lies in the hands of the home owner. Fire prevention education is where you should spend the money.

Additionally, if you're in the fire service, put your efforts toward continuous on going fire training and the importance of properly following the incident command system.

Most times it's not the lack of water but the lack of an incident command system and sound tactical fire fighting that is behind not making a "good stop" resulting in the property tuning into a vacant lot. Or worse, fatalities.

With that in mind, according to the NFPA, 69% of fire departments are comprised of volunteers. Getting volunteers has always been difficult and getting even harder.

Getting volunteers and getting them to say requires good Leaderhip, promoting pride in professionalism, combined with a culture of camaraderie instead of the "good old boy" ego driven departments that prevail today.

Having said all this, my hats off to all my brothers and sisters in the fire service who risk their lives, everyday, to protect our life and property.

And kudos to you for your willingness to give back to your community.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 7,372

We have them pond hydrants around here for the more rural spots. They set up pools and run shuttles when they have to.
Because of the cold winters, I’ve been told that some of these pond hydrants are dry. They use air pressure to keep the pipes empty until needed, same as an attic system.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #9
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

I think instead of a dry hydrant, a bunch of these might be better:

Old 08-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #10
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 4,255

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildleg View Post
I think instead of a dry hydrant, a bunch of these might be better:

Along with one of these.

Help with community project.-9693e101-3cbd-4c30-b095-7b752d4adb27.jpg
Old 08-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #11

I already flattened out a pad for the hydrant had someone up there with an excavator leveling off a spot. Pipe will go from the pond to the pad where it can have enough dirt and insulation board to prevent freezing. Will be between 4 and 5 feet above water where the pipe comes out of the ground. Highway department and fire company will help maintain. Soil and water conservation may also help with the design and some cost. Already set with getting someone to do digging and should be set to get piping in about a week. Just have to figure out about strainer and hose connection. Everyone seemed like it's a great idea just nobody wanting to make the initial investment.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:52 PM   #12

Also this will be just far enough off a two lane paved road to be put of the way but be able to access with one length of suction hose.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:33 PM   #13
neutral member

Rewards Points: 260

Quote:

so how much are the dozen+ property owners kicking in?
MechanicalDVR and Bird dog like this.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:01 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,538

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
Ever try getting water from a frozen hydrant?

What about access to the hydrant? Whose going to insure that the snow is clear and it's dry enough to get a rig in there without it sinking up to its axles?

Aside from that, as a thirty plus year veteran of the fire service and retired NYS Fire Instructor, I can tell you that water, as high as it is on the priority list, a higher priority for the preservation of life and property lies in the hands of the home owner. Fire prevention education is where you should spend the money.

Additionally, if you're in the fire service, put your efforts toward continuous on going fire training and the importance of properly following the incident command system.

Most times it's not the lack of water but the lack of an incident command system and sound tactical fire fighting that is behind not making a "good stop" resulting in the property tuning into a vacant lot. Or worse, fatalities.

With that in mind, according to the NFPA, 69% of fire departments are comprised of volunteers. Getting volunteers has always been difficult and getting even harder.

Getting volunteers and getting them to say requires good Leaderhip, promoting pride in professionalism, combined with a culture of camaraderie instead of the "good old boy" ego driven departments that prevail today.

Having said all this, my hats off to all my brothers and sisters in the fire service who risk their lives, everyday, to protect our life and property.

And kudos to you for your willingness to give back to your community.

Especially when so many young officers and community politicians are trying to get universal performance standards enacted to give them an excuse to weed out the older people and or overweight ones!
mostly because they are setting standards way too high!
Its ridiculous to expect a 45-60 year old to be able to perform as well as a 20 year old when their standards are a challenge for the 20 year old!

Ive argued the point that community participation in gradual fitness programs and counciling on proper diet is far more effective that throwing them under a bus because they are old or a little pudgy

modern training is great but it cannot take the place of a seasoned veteran! I know many of the things I have been trained on are never taught to civilian firefighters!
flyboy likes this.

Miracle (mere-ack-ull):the aspirations of the indigent, The expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.
gnuuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by readydave8 View Post
so how much are the dozen+ property owners kicking in?
and....do they get an insurance break for doing so?
Old 08-24-2018, 07:08 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Getting them is one issue, having them all come up to current standards is another.

Quote:
And kudos to you for your willingness to give back to your community

Especially smaller communities which lack the $$$'s , i can recall many fundraisers trying to obtain what in bigger departments was a budgeted given
flyboy likes this.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:56 AM   #17
German Spy

Rewards Points: 4,535

2 cents...

Everyone chip in and put in a water tower if there is so much concern.

Ny doesn't dry up does it? Drought wise?

Last edited by Helmut; 08-24-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
2 cents...

Everyone chip in and put in a water tower if there is so much concern.

Ny doesn't dry up does it? Drought wise?
Doubt that would be allowed. Had enough trouble getting permission from the Adirondack park agency to be able to put a pipe in the wetland. And dig in the pond. I think the reason why the fire department and soil and water conservation don't want to get involved and help put it in is because it required a wetland permit that was pretty difficult to obtain. Once everyone found out it required a wetland permit they all stopped working with me. I am taking on this project and going to follow through with at least putting the pipe in the pond. Then if I can't get the funds maybe once the pipe is there they will be on board with finishing. There is acres of water and many springs so plenty of water there.

Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:37 PM   #19
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 23,894

Quote:
Doubt that would be allowed. Had enough trouble getting permission from the Adirondack park agency to be able to put a pipe in the wetland. And dig in the pond. I think the reason why the fire department and soil and water conservation don't want to get involved and help put it in is because it required a wetland permit that was pretty difficult to obtain. Once everyone found out it required a wetland permit they all stopped working with me. I am taking on this project and going to follow through with at least putting the pipe in the pond. Then if I can't get the funds maybe once the pipe is there they will be on board with finishing. There is acres of water and many springs so plenty of water there.
Sounds like a very worthwhile project and a selfless deed.

I hope you get others on board up there to help with the costs.
SISYPHUS likes this.

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote