Home made foods - Page 42 - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrician Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)


Like Tree782Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2019, 04:10 PM   #821
Moderator
 
John Valdes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 15,497
Rewards Points: 2,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelhill View Post
Same here... I like to cook about as much as I like doing plumbing.
How did I know that long before you said it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuiec View Post
Whats happening on top of that meatloaf, that looks goood. Might have to change my opinion on loaf!

Also, your new camera or whatever it is does the food waaaay more justice!
Looks like ketchup thats been put under the broiler for a couple minutes?

The pictures do look so much better. The others all seemed blah. Did you buy a camera or get a new phone? @MechanicalDVR
jelhill likes this.
John Valdes is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #822
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 58,246
Rewards Points: 18,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post

Looks like ketchup thats been put under the broiler for a couple minutes?

Close, it's ketchup, honey, red wine vinegar, and a pinch of dry mustard.

The pictures do look so much better. The others all seemed blah. Did you buy a camera or get a new phone? @MechanicalDVR

Thanks!

I was given a new smartphone back in September.
John Valdes and stuiec like this.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #823
Moderator
 
John Valdes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 15,497
Rewards Points: 2,618
Default

Sorry. Kicked up Ketchup! Love it.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
John Valdes is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-10-2019, 10:34 PM   #824
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 58,246
Rewards Points: 18,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
Sorry. Kicked up Ketchup! Love it.
I've played around with a bunch of combos and this one goes with beef, pork, veal mix the best.

For just ground pork the same sauce with cayenne and sage is the ticket.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #825
Moderator
 
John Valdes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 15,497
Rewards Points: 2,618
Default

Sliced NY Strip Steak, Grilled Shrimp, Stuffed Baked Potato and steamed broccoli with melted butter.
Attached Thumbnails
Home made foods-img_1984.jpg  

John Valdes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #826
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 58,246
Rewards Points: 18,694
Default

Bison, sprouts, and spiced rice
Attached Thumbnails
Home made foods-bison-steak-sprouts-spiced-rice.jpg  

__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #827
Moderator
 
John Valdes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 15,497
Rewards Points: 2,618
Default

Looks very good. What cut is it and how do you cook it? The bison.
John Valdes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #828
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 58,246
Rewards Points: 18,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
Looks very good. What cut is it and how do you cook it? The bison.
Thanks!

The package said rib steak.

I air fried it for 10 minutes, I learned from the ones I made before (too long and it's really tough).

I stopped at 7 minutes in and added garlic butter to it.
John Valdes likes this.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop

Last edited by MechanicalDVR; 02-11-2019 at 02:35 PM.
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #829
Senior Member
 
MikeFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 5,150
Rewards Points: 2,408
Default

Wow that's interesting.
__________________
Michael Gookin, President
GPS Timers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:37 PM   #830
Moderator
 
John Valdes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 15,497
Rewards Points: 2,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Thanks!

The package said rib steak.

I air fried it for 10 minutes, I learned from the ones I made before (too long and it's really tough).

I stopped at 7 minutes in and added garlic butter to it.
So tender as steak? Like beef if cooked right? Looks very good.
We just got an air fryer for Christmas. I am not a gadget person, but it did good on frozen fries and chicken nuggets.

The basket is to small for me to to cook for three in it. Steaks, chops, stuff like that will not fit. Its a round one. Not sure if its even a good one?
John Valdes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:35 AM   #831
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 58,246
Rewards Points: 18,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
So tender as steak? Like beef if cooked right? Looks very good.
We just got an air fryer for Christmas. I am not a gadget person, but it did good on frozen fries and chicken nuggets.

The basket is to small for me to to cook for three in it. Steaks, chops, stuff like that will not fit. Its a round one. Not sure if its even a good one?
It was as tender as a real good steak yesterday. The small strip steaks I made for breakfast the other day were much tougher. I have tried several packaged cuts, I'd avoid 'medallions' as they have been tough as leather regardless of cook temp and the sinew in them is hard to slice through.

I have a round air fryer (Farberware) I love it but I am looking into getting a larger 'oven' type. I think the rectangular (@13" x 9"pan) one I saw in an ad that is an air fryer-convection oven is an Oster.
Attached Thumbnails
Home made foods-3-eggs-n-steak.jpg  

MCasey likes this.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:59 AM   #832
Senior Member
 
MikeFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 5,150
Rewards Points: 2,408
Default

How you slice your meat even as you're eating it is as important as how you cook it when it comes to tenderness. Cut thinly across the grain and it's tender. Cut thick chunks with the grain and it's jerky-like.
__________________
Michael Gookin, President
GPS Timers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:09 AM   #833
Moderator
 
John Valdes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 15,497
Rewards Points: 2,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
How you slice your meat even as you're eating it is as important as how you cook it when it comes to tenderness. Cut thinly across the grain and it's tender. Cut thick chunks with the grain and it's jerky-like.
I buy very think steaks. 3" is about the norm. This is why in my picture the steak has been sliced before serving. With NY Strip (and other very tender cuts) slicing direction is not all important.
In the picture you can see the steak was sliced with the grain. Because of the shape of a NY strip. Very tender because its a very good cut and because I slice it.

Now with skirt steak, Flank or London Broil, it must be sliced against the grain on a bias.
That is why skirt steak sliced thin makes fantastic taco's or burrito's.
John Valdes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #834
cog
 
stuiec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: cana-duh
Posts: 5,147
Rewards Points: 1,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
I've played around with a bunch of combos and this one goes with beef, pork, veal mix the best.

For just ground pork the same sauce with cayenne and sage is the ticket.
got a recipe for the one pictured? I need a good one if I'm gonna convert.
stuiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #835
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 58,246
Rewards Points: 18,694
Default

Meatloaf:

2 lb. beef/veal/pork mix
2 cups bread crumbs (I crush up garlic cheese croutons I make)
1 large diced yellow onion
1 cup milk
2 large eggs beaten
4 tbsp. ketchup
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. dried parsley leaves
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

Sauce For the Top:

1/3 cup ketchup
3 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
stuiec (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #836
Moderator
 
John Valdes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 15,497
Rewards Points: 2,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Meatloaf:

2 lb. beef/veal/pork mix
2 cups bread crumbs (I crush up garlic cheese croutons I make)
1 large diced yellow onion
1 cup milk
2 large eggs beaten
4 tbsp. ketchup
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. dried parsley leaves
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

Sauce For the Top:

1/3 cup ketchup
3 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
Sounds very similar to what I make.
My problem is I have no recipe. It comes out a little different each time.

Its very hard to find ground veal here, so mine is usually ground chuck and ground pork. I can find veal, but if I want ground veal, I must grind it myself. Not happening.
I use bread soaked in milk or bread crumbs soaked in milk instead of bread crumbs. I like the crouton idea! Some southern chefs insist on one sleeve of Saltines. Never tried it, but the extra salt alone makes me think it is very good.
I also add 3/4 cup of Pecorrino Romano (for 3 Lb loaf). And 1 slight cup milk.
I use fresh chopped Italian (flat leaf) parsley and fresh fine chopped garlic. I test/fry a small piece in a frying pan to be sure its seasoned correctly. If I'm happy, I proceed with the loaf and roast it.

Thin bacon strips wrapped around the loaf are nice as well. But they must be thin to get crispy. I only buy thick cut bacon. So I just lay one slice on top.
MechanicalDVR and stuiec like this.
John Valdes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:46 PM   #837
cog
 
stuiec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: cana-duh
Posts: 5,147
Rewards Points: 1,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Meatloaf:

2 lb. beef/veal/pork mix
2 cups bread crumbs (I crush up garlic cheese croutons I make)
1 large diced yellow onion
1 cup milk
2 large eggs beaten
4 tbsp. ketchup
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. dried parsley leaves
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

Sauce For the Top:

1/3 cup ketchup
3 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
how long am in the oven for this bad boy, and what temp?
stuiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #838
Moderator
 
John Valdes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 15,497
Rewards Points: 2,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuiec View Post
how long am in the oven for this bad boy, and what temp?
1 hour at 350. You are looking for 160 degrees in the thickest part.
If your gonna cook, get an instant read thermometer and never worry about over cooking or under cooking.
MechanicalDVR and stuiec like this.
John Valdes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Valdes For This Useful Post:
stuiec (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #839
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 58,246
Rewards Points: 18,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuiec View Post
how long am in the oven for this bad boy, and what temp?
I cook it at 350F like John said but it takes a little more than 1 hour with 2# of meat, you need to use a thermometer as he said.

I like it to hit 145F and then let it rest for 8-10 minutes.
stuiec likes this.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
stuiec (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #840
Senior Member
 
trentonmakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,315
Rewards Points: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
Sounds very similar to what I make.

My problem is I have no recipe. It comes out a little different each time.



Its very hard to find ground veal here, so mine is usually ground chuck and ground pork. I can find veal, but if I want ground veal, I must grind it myself. Not happening.

I use bread soaked in milk or bread crumbs soaked in milk instead of bread crumbs. I like the crouton idea! Some southern chefs insist on one sleeve of Saltines. Never tried it, but the extra salt alone makes me think it is very good.

I also add 3/4 cup of Pecorrino Romano (for 3 Lb loaf). And 1 slight cup milk.

I use fresh chopped Italian (flat leaf) parsley and fresh fine chopped garlic. I test/fry a small piece in a frying pan to be sure its seasoned correctly. If I'm happy, I proceed with the loaf and roast it.



Thin bacon strips wrapped around the loaf are nice as well. But they must be thin to get crispy. I only buy thick cut bacon. So I just lay one slice on top.
Only thing I'd add to this is too make a basket weave out of bacon and wrap the loaf!

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
trentonmakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home inspections bhaughery New Member Introductions 76 11-29-2016 09:44 PM
Fire alarm device at senior home james64 Canadian Electrical Forum 5 11-12-2016 12:54 PM
Home Flipping company WronGun General Electrical Discussion 34 11-11-2016 10:19 PM
Manufactured Home Codes smorkle General Electrical Discussion 20 06-26-2016 09:48 AM
Mobile Home SparkyJ Residential Electrical Forum 10 04-08-2016 07:21 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com