Is Homework Obsolete Now? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrician Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Like Tree48Likes

Old 01-19-2019, 05:54 AM   #1
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,726
Default Is Homework Obsolete Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J F Go View Post
I did hear that some school system banned homework, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGGT View Post
Homework is stupid and should be universally banned.
What's this about?

(I keep track of these things just so I know how long I'm going to have to keep working. )
MechanicalDVR and CoolWill like this.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2019, 06:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,012

Haven't you heard? There's a plot by very powerful people to dumb the population of the country into cattle-like submission. Many schools don't issue homework now. Some of it has to do with lazy ass millennial teachers don't want to have to grade it either.
CoolWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,712

Wouldn't surprise me.
They tried to force ebonics.
Then they got rid of cursive.
Now every kid believes that in 7 years (from 15 years ago) Miami will be flooded with 300' of water because of Donald Trump.

And you want to know if they're assigning homework?
Does it matter at this point?

Today I'm a judge at a regional science fair. I'm going to expect at least half are Al Gore Conspiracy Theory projects. Let's see...
MechanicalDVR, MTW, splatz and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2019, 07:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,874

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
Haven't you heard? There's a plot by very powerful people to dumb the population of the country into cattle-like submission. Many schools don't issue homework now. Some of it has to do with lazy ass millennial teachers don't want to have to grade it either.
The founding fathers fought the British to end homework. We're just getting back to our roots.

Plus I don't blame teachers not wanting to grade the stuff. Teachers get a raw deal in my opinion, I expect overtime over 40 and my company to purchase the material to do the job. They are expected to work OT for no additional compensation and are expected to shell out their own money for materials if they want to prove they care about their students.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
TGGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,496

Quote:
The founding fathers fought the British to end homework. We're just getting back to our roots.

Plus I don't blame teachers not wanting to grade the stuff. Teachers get a raw deal in my opinion, I expect overtime over 40 and my company to purchase the material to do the job. They are expected to work OT for no additional compensation and are expected to shell out their own money for materials if they want to prove they care about their students.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
They are salaried employees.

They get excellent benefits

They can retire in 25 years here.

And they made a choice.

Here teachers from 1'st grade up have assistants and separate teachers for some subjects.

Many holidays and June, July and August.

My daughters were National Honor Society their friends that became teachers were not.

If they would just keep their political beliefs to themselves.
micromind, flyboy, MikeFL and 1 others like this.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:59 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 455

Quote:
It sounds like they are stupid for taking the job.

Going back to your example, would you have taken an electrician job in which you had to work OT for free and supply material for the jobs?

You know why teachers have to do it? Because they choose to. If they stopped doing it, it would end.

Teachers in my town and all the towns around make and average of $80k per year and have 3 months of paid vacations and days off. Plus excellent benefits and retirement packages, and tenure which means they are close to invincible. It's not so bad.
brian john, micromind and flyboy like this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:09 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,274

There is absolutely no such thing as homework. If you even mention it you’ll get dirty looks.

It’s now called class extensions. Much more palatable.

I guess I have a bad memory, but I don’t really remember doing homework. Some people tell me they only remember doing it if they were having a hard time? If that was the case I should have been loaded down with it.

I could use the extra money. Maybe I’ll ask the boss for some work extensions.
splatz likes this.
cabletie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #8
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,490

My mother was a H.S. Art teacher. Divorced from my father in 1965 she managed to support herself quite comfortably. Even went to Europe a few times and Indonesia. She lived in a modest apartment complex in Wayne, NJ and eventually retired to a condo in Tamarac, Fl.

She lived to the ripe old age of 89.

The only negative thing I remember about her career was she had me as a student.
brian john, micromind and MikeFL like this.
flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #9
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 480

“He who can does; he who cannot, teaches.”
George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-19-2019, 08:29 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsparky View Post
ďHe who can does; he who cannot, teaches.Ē
George Bernard Shaw

And he who canít teach inspects!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drsparky, MTW and MikeFL like this.
Service Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 30

50% of all jobs will be automated out of existence in our lifetime. Why learn if you don't have to do?
em158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by em158 View Post
50% of all jobs will be automated out of existence in our lifetime. Why learn if you don't have to do?
You better learn to shoot, trap and skin animals, garden, and fight. Robots can't protect you from the unpredictable future.
CoolWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwork View Post
it sounds like they are stupid for taking the job.

Going back to your example, would you have taken an electrician job in which you had to work ot for free and supply material for the jobs?

You know why teachers have to do it? Because they choose to. If they stopped doing it, it would end.

Teachers in my town and all the towns around make and average of $80k per year and have 3 months of paid vacations and days off. Plus excellent benefits and retirement packages, and tenure which means they are close to invincible. It's not so bad.
exactly!
Old 01-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabletie View Post
There is absolutely no such thing as homework. If you even mention it youíll get dirty looks.

Itís now called class extensions. Much more palatable.

I guess I have a bad memory, but I donít really remember doing homework. Some people tell me they only remember doing it if they were having a hard time? If that was the case I should have been loaded down with it.

I could use the extra money. Maybe Iíll ask the boss for some work extensions.
My kids were buried with homework maybe I was supposed to be buried with homework but I boycotted the mess.
micromind likes this.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
You better learn to shoot, trap and skin animals, garden, and fight. Robots can't protect you from the unpredictable future.
I know how to shoot, so if it gets that bad I will take what I want from the trappers, and gardeners.
HackWork and CoolWill like this.
em158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 4

Books in school are going obsolete, everything is preloaded on a tablet, they still got homework though, had to email it to the teacher.
HackWork likes this.
Apelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apelectric View Post
Books in school are going obsolete, everything is preloaded on a tablet, they still got homework though, had to email it to the teacher.
Chromebooks in my area.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #18
Hackenschmidt

Teachers do from OK to great around here. In the richer districts, salaries are really high.

Less than 8 hour work days, very little consequences for slackers and poor performers, excellent pension and benefits, and of course June July and August.

Their union has not done a great job with respect to preventing districts from pushing out older / higher paid teachers for younger / entry level.

I think it would make more sense if their pay was determined at the state level rather than by the local district but locals love the power, they'd fight hard to never relinquish.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:26 AM   #19
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Chromebooks in my area.
Much smarter choice for schools than tablets. No comparison.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #20
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,923

Teachers take the job so they can have sex with the students. Predominantly female teachers. I see the stories in the papers just about every other day.

Where the hell were they when I was a pimple faced tenth grader?