HVAC question - pulling refrigerant into compressor for service. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrician Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Old 11-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 938
Default HVAC question - pulling refrigerant into compressor for service.

Maybe someone here has done this.

I have to remove my A coil for service and planned on using the compressor on my heat pump to "suck" the refrigerant into it and close the valves to hold it there.

Pretty straightforward in AC mode.

I plan on doing just that - run the heat pump in AC mode to accomplish this. Kicker is that the ambient temp will be around freezing. Normally the unit would be in heat mode.

I can't think of an issue, as I won't be trying to transfer any heat, just pumping refrigerant. Just want to make sure I am not overlooking anything.

Thanks
acro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by acro View Post
Maybe someone here has done this.

I have to remove my A coil for service and planned on using the compressor on my heat pump to "suck" the refrigerant into it and close the valves to hold it there.

Pretty straightforward in AC mode.

I plan on doing just that - run the heat pump in AC mode to accomplish this. Kicker is that the ambient temp will be around freezing. Normally the unit would be in heat mode.

I can't think of an issue, as I won't be trying to transfer any heat, just pumping refrigerant. Just want to make sure I am not overlooking anything.

Thanks
Maybe @MechanicalDVR will chime in or you might pm him.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,494

Put one of those small one man tents over top of the condensor. That'll get the temps right.
flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25,622

Don't expect your heat pump to pull enough vacuum.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #5

Less than an ac unit?

Not expecting a vacuum, per se. Just suck the low side down to 5 or 10 psi is the most I am hoping for. Recover the slight residual, then remove the A coil.

Majority of the current refrigerant charge will be held in the compressor until I re-install the A coil.

Last edited by acro; 11-09-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 948

I dont know much about AC but how would you remove the none condensable's (moisture) from the new coils. Normally you would recover then after working on the system you would vacuum the system to remove non condensable and trash then refill the system.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:55 PM   #7

Good observation - it has to do with the way the service valves are configured. When shut, they isolate the ports and lineset from compressor. I will be able to vacuum the lineset and check for leaks before I open the valves to release the refrigerant from the compressor back into the lineset.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 981

you are on the right track. It's called pumping it down. You will still need a vacuum pump to properly service it . a set of gauges would also be nice.
Galt is offline   Reply With Quote