Maybe Amazon ain't the best place - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrician Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Like Tree33Likes

Old 03-07-2019, 10:28 AM   #1
German Spy

Rewards Points: 3,873
Default Maybe Amazon ain't the best place

I didn't think Amazon was so far off market pricing of things, till I started looking for e-stops.

Amazon $205

https://www.amazon.com/CEPY1-2001-Em.../dp/B07G3CTTP7

Allied $45

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/a...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Same part number, one might have extra set of contacts though..
micromind and MechanicalDVR like this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Helmut For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (03-07-2019), micromind (06-29-2019), telsa (03-09-2019)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,992

Amazon is not the seller on that part. It's a 3rd party seller. Anyone can go on there and list a $0.58 SPST 15A toggle for $5,000.
splatz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,008

You can probably get a better pricing through an abb distributor, retail pricing is often 50% more than oem pricing with abb
stuiec likes this.
oliquir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2

I found this out when I bought dust filters for my respirator. Amazon 4 for $100 I ordered them. Waited for Amazon ones that I ordered for 2 weeks, ended up buying the ones from the other vendor and got the in 2 days from them was 4 for $30.. Lesson learned, shop twice and order once. Ended up that the ones from Amazon came from Canada and got tied up in customs so check where they are from.
MechanicalDVR, Bird dog and MikeFL like this.
telsa (03-09-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 4

I get items from Amazon or Grainger for instance when I need it now, am confident I'll get it when I want it, and I can include the price difference. Sometimes the price on Amazon is decent, sometimes not. It still is a good resource.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #6
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 671

A lot of items on Amazon are priced thru the roof.

Amazon has good pricing on some stuff and the delivery is good when it actually works out like they say it will. But definitely not a one-stop shop. You need to check around for everything.
nrp3, splatz, Bird dog and 1 others like this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:44 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,844

What I like about Amazon Prime is the two day free delivery.
But I am not ordering parts for work.

They have been great in my case. Returns are a bit harder. But they do take them and its as easy as as printing out a new new shipping label.
I am waiting on my new aquarium filter today.
I already have my return packaged and ready to hand the driver.

Oh @HackWork. I saw my first Amazon delivery vehicle just the other day. Not around here, but closer to town. I get Fedex, UPS or USPS from them. On time or sooner.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #8
Can't Remember

I've seen some of the Amazon vehicles around. Starting to get some deliveries on Sunday as well. It definitely has its place.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,876

You might find items with absurd prices. This can happen when the seller is about to run out of stock. If they spend too much time without stock they can lose their place on the listings and even when they get new stock they'd have to start over and may have to drop their price and pay for advertising to claw their way back to the 1st and 2nd pages. Items that sell the most get moved to the 1st page.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
TGGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #10
Can't Remember

Hack's right, you still need to shop and have an idea of what it costs, but Amazons been pretty reliable about shipping especially if its them that's selling. I try to avoid the other sellers where possible because the confidence factor of delivery time, even then its been pretty good about being on time.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:38 PM   #11
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 671

I see some Amazon vehicles, but the majority of the deliveries are in rental trucks.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #12
Can't Remember

True with the rentals too.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #13
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,396

You absolutely have to watch the "sold by and shipped from" part. There are people making a lot of money like this:

* find products that Amazon is not selling
* put them on Amazon at a really high price
* watch the money roll in as people who assume Amazon is low buy your junk

If it says "sold by and shipped from Amazon" the prices tend to be competitive on consumer stuff and brands that sell a ton, although sometimes you'll see Home Depot or etc. beat Amazon.

For electrical stuff, there are brands that still hold back the best pricing for distributors, wholesalers, etc. other than Amazon. But the number is shrinking.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,992

It's my theory that people who price a $45 product at $250 on Amazon are preying on that girl in the office who is told to source a part and get it here now. The guy charging $250 may sell one per year, but he's making more money than the guy selling them at $45 who sells 2 per month.

Want to feel salt in the wound? Buy one from him for $250 and then find out he drop shipped it from the guy selling them for $45. It happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #15
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,468

Amazon never seems to have good prices on things I want but in stock and shipped is better than waiting at times.

McMaster Carr normally ships items by the time you hang up the phone.
micromind and Southeast Power like this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 8,894

I avoid amazon at almost all costs.

I hate the stupid shipping games they play.

They have 2 fulfillment centers within 20 miles of my house and if you don’t pay expedited shipping, they literally mark it as shipped and just sit on it for 5 business days.

Arround christmas time, anything they think will be a hot seller, they have an exorberant shipping cost, say $38 per pair of kids fortnite pajamas to have them shipped from a city literally adjacent to my city inside of 3 weeks for christmas.. if you just want to pay $5/pair shipping is 6-8 weeks.

I really dislike amazon.
Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only authorities have guns. We have such a place. It's called prison.
five.five-six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #17
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,867

If all of Amazon’s customers were like me, Bezos would still be working out of his garage.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 2,844

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
What I like about Amazon Prime is the two day free delivery.
But I am not ordering parts for work.

They have been great in my case. Returns are a bit harder. But they do take them and its as easy as as printing out a new new shipping label.
I am waiting on my new aquarium filter today.
I already have my return packaged and ready to hand the driver.

Oh @HackWork. I saw my first Amazon delivery vehicle just the other day. Not around here, but closer to town. I get Fedex, UPS or USPS from them. On time or sooner.
My order came in a personal car. No lettering. Looks like the driver is also working for Uber and Lyft.
So a new experience. All good so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I see some Amazon vehicles, but the majority of the deliveries are in rental trucks.
A first for me today. An SUV doing driving for a living.
I had my return ready, but she told me could not take a return. Now that sucks as my closest UPS drop is over 10 miles away.
Pretty hot babe BTW.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #19
Can't Remember

I needed two Lutron gloss black tamper resistant receptacles and two Claro matching plates. If I waited for the supply house to get them, it could be weeks. On the other hand the descriptions for some of these products are terrible and lacking of meaningful details. You do need to know exactly what it is that you're buying and what they are selling are the same. Reading the homeowner reviews is laughable.
micromind likes this.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #20
MTW

Rewards Points: 8,678

They opened a distribution center within a 30 minute drive of my house and I started seeing them use a courier service to deliver locally.
John Valdes likes this.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MTW For This Useful Post:
WPNortheast (03-23-2019)