Text to neighbor - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrician Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Like Tree25Likes

Old 04-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,414
Default Text to neighbor

TEXT TO NEIGHBOR:

Hi, Fred, this is Richard, next door. Iíve got a confession to make.

I íve been riddled with guilt for a few months and have been trying to get up the courage to tell you face-to-face. At least Iím telling you in this text and I canít live with myself a minute longer without you knowing about this.

The truth is that when youíre not around Iíve been sharing your wife, day and night. In fact, probably much more than you. I havenít been getting it at home recently and I know that thatís no excuse. The temptation was just too great. I canít live with the guilt and hope youíll accept my sincere apology and forgive me.

Please suggest a fee for usage and Iíll pay you.

Regards,
Richard

NEIGHBORíS RESPONSE:

Fred, feeling so angered and betrayed, grabbed his gun and shot Richard -- killing him. He went back home and poured himself a stiff drink and sat down on the sofa. Fred then looked at his phone and discovered a second Text message from Richard.

SECOND TEXT MESSAGE:

Hi, Fred. Richard here again. Sorry about the typo on my last text. I expect you figured it out and noticed that the damned Auto-Spell Correct had changed ďwi-fi" to ďwifeĒ. Technology, huh?
Itíll be the death of us all.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
Band Member

Rewards Points: 188

It could have been worse if he knew he was stealing his wi-fi
John Valdes likes this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:19 PM   #3
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 3,548

I think there's more to the 'death of us all' statement than any of us realize........
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2018, 10:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Did he find the 4g spot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ptheriot72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ptheriot72 For This Useful Post:
macmikeman (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 10:54 PM   #5
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 24,442

Don'tcha just hate when these things happen?
readydave8 likes this.

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:55 PM   #6

One of my old neighbors WiFi was label For **** Use Only.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:20 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 8,259

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptheriot72 View Post
One of my old neighbors WiFi was label For **** Use Only.

I don't quite know why I'm so opposed to censorship, because, if there's a new cuss/offensive/naughty word out there, and I miss out on it, because someone else thinks a "word" (printed or otherwise) may cause irreparable personal damage to myself, or other people I don't even know; I will be so psychologically, emotionally, and intellectually, harmed, damaged, deprived, and my FOMO will forever cripple my fragile little sense of being, wonderment, and craving for knowledge, that I feel compelled to decipher the total mind fook of the mysterious ****, that keeps me awake at night, compromising my ability to function at my chosen trade, jeopardizing the safety, well being, and peace of mind of my fellow tradesmen, coworkers, and subordinates on the job-site, and/or on the commute to or from said site.
So as a part of my OCD rehabilitation I would like to take a guess of sorts, as to which "word" of the OP, the "offensive" **** is masking.
Judging by the context, two words seem the likely choice. The first and most obvious choice would be "por-ne" [sic], or "phuck" [sic], because "educational", "official", and "masturbatory" have too many letter places.
Just for reference, they used the "F" (no...not "funny") word, totally uncensored on the Donald J Trump roast on Comedy Central the other night, during prime time no less.
LARMGUY likes this.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:43 AM   #8
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
I don't quite know why I'm so opposed to censorship, because, if there's a new cuss/offensive/naughty word out there, and I miss out on it, because someone else thinks a "word" (printed or otherwise) may cause irreparable personal damage to myself, or other people I don't even know; I will be so psychologically, emotionally, and intellectually, harmed, damaged, deprived, and my FOMO will forever cripple my fragile little sense of being, wonderment, and craving for knowledge, that I feel compelled to decipher the total mind fook of the mysterious ****, that keeps me awake at night, compromising my ability to function at my chosen trade, jeopardizing the safety, well being, and peace of mind of my fellow tradesmen, coworkers, and subordinates on the job-site, and/or on the commute to or from said site.
So as a part of my OCD rehabilitation I would like to take a guess of sorts, as to which "word" of the OP, the "offensive" **** is masking.
Judging by the context, two words seem the likely choice. The first and most obvious choice would be "por-ne" [sic], or "phuck" [sic], because "educational", "official", and "masturbatory" have too many letter places.
Just for reference, they used the "F" (no...not "funny") word, totally uncensored on the Donald J Trump roast on Comedy Central the other night, during prime time no less.
By any chance did you skip your meds today?
Navyguy likes this.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:50 AM   #9
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

Random musings on censorship:

When two people are having a conversation, there's a small chance that one or the other may become offended at the other. When one person is having a conversation with an entire audience, the chances that someone in that audience will take offense at something is near on 100%. That's life. That's how it works. Someone will be offended at the topic you have to speak about.

That said, why would a person want to purposely stack the deck against themselves and use words generally found to be offensive, thus maximizing the number of people offended at their remarks? You're going to have people offended at things you say no matter what, I'm trying to say, so why add the extra population of offended people by decorating your language with offensive words?

Maybe sometimes self-censorship is a good idea?
joebanana likes this.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
By any chance did you skip your meds today?
Na, I'm doin' the 32 oz. bottle of Geritol, but I think I've built up a tolerance to it. I considered taking up drinking again, but, that just makes me mean...er.
I guess it all goes back to a George Carlin special a while back. I pay good money for cable TV, and I sometimes masquerade as an "adult", (Lord knows I'm old enough for it) and as such, I feel that "art", in whatever form it takes, spoken/printed word, painting, weird siht that makes no sense whatsoever, but looks bitchin', music, and shop talk, is compromised by removing parts of it that are integral to the whole meaning of the subject at hand, is a detriment to the transfer of thought.
Back to ol' George.......censoring his "comedy", which apparently requires quite a bit of missed dialog, the main part of of most of his "bits", ruins the whole performance.
They don't censor the majority of "offensive" artwork by past masters, such as the statue of David, or Renaissance "boobage", although many wouldn't let their children view such artwork, some still do.
National Geographic is another example. And a good one. If someone finds something "offensive", they don't have to look at it, read it, or they're free to change the channel.
I don't use an excess of foul language, or paint dirty pictures, but sometimes a good F-bomb really drives the point home. The first amendment isn't just for "popular" speech. Freedom of expression is a necessary part of freedom in general. If Hitler were censored, would anything have turned out differently? Possibly, but not likely. Words don't cause physical harm, but they can prevent it.

Man....I should have taken philosophy in College.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:01 AM   #11
Wire Ninja

Hey, I' a huge First Amendment supporter. Was to in Federal court, myself, as a co-Plaintiff in a First Amendment case a long time ago. That said, sometimes the saying "Just because you can doesn't mean you should" has a lot of value. The older I get, the more I try to let that phrase ring though my head.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:07 AM   #12
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Na, I'm doin' the 32 oz. bottle of Geritol, but I think I've built up a tolerance to it. I considered taking up drinking again, but, that just makes me mean...er.
I guess it all goes back to a George Carlin special a while back. I pay good money for cable TV, and I sometimes masquerade as an "adult", (Lord knows I'm old enough for it) and as such, I feel that "art", in whatever form it takes, spoken/printed word, painting, weird siht that makes no sense whatsoever, but looks bitchin', music, and shop talk, is compromised by removing parts of it that are integral to the whole meaning of the subject at hand, is a detriment to the transfer of thought.
Back to ol' George.......censoring his "comedy", which apparently requires quite a bit of missed dialog, the main part of of most of his "bits", ruins the whole performance.
They don't censor the majority of "offensive" artwork by past masters, such as the statue of David, or Renaissance "boobage", although many wouldn't let their children view such artwork, some still do.
National Geographic is another example. And a good one. If someone finds something "offensive", they don't have to look at it, read it, or they're free to change the channel.
I don't use an excess of foul language, or paint dirty pictures, but sometimes a good F-bomb really drives the point home. The first amendment isn't just for "popular" speech. Freedom of expression is a necessary part of freedom in general. If Hitler were censored, would anything have turned out differently? Possibly, but not likely. Words don't cause physical harm, but they can prevent it.

Man....I should have taken philosophy in College.
Sounds right!

Old 04-29-2018, 09:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Random musings on censorship:

When two people are having a conversation, there's a small chance that one or the other may become offended at the other. When one person is having a conversation with an entire audience, the chances that someone in that audience will take offense at something is near on 100%. That's life. That's how it works. Someone will be offended at the topic you have to speak about.

That said, why would a person want to purposely stack the deck against themselves and use words generally found to be offensive, thus maximizing the number of people offended at their remarks? You're going to have people offended at things you say no matter what, I'm trying to say, so why add the extra population of offended people by decorating your language with offensive words?

Maybe sometimes self-censorship is a good idea?
I completely agree. Sometimes just a certain topic is offensive, even without colorful language. Sometimes colorful language is necessary to make a point, advance a topic, or to emphasize a thought. A bar fight, without it, just isn't the same. I've never seen one start with the phrase, "you stupid poopoo head". Sometimes (most often) self censorship is a good idea, but when someone else, who has no involvement, or a poorly coded algorithm, makes the decision on what is "offensive" or not, it can change the whole dynamic. There are just too many variables.
My experiences as a construction worker would be less fulfilling if OSHA censored every interaction between coworkers.
As a side note: My kid is doing a stadium in Washington DC , and he tells me they have ARMED Metro police on site issuing safety infractions.(Federal property) (Can the government own, and operate a "for profit" sports stadium?)
An example:
Operating a forklift without a "forklift license" costs the operator, and the contractor a $2,500 fine, each.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:44 AM   #14
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 4,525

I'm offened by those that are easily offended.
readydave8 and joebanana like this.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 142

There is no forgiveness for a WiFi thief. The man should consider himself lucky he was only shot. Also auto correct is the worst.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
AlmostPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #16
Wire Ninja

About the only thing worse would be sending "I love you" to your boss when you think you're texting your wife. I've done that twice.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:59 AM   #17
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 3,548

Censorship.....it's almost never beneficial to anyone when someone else makes your decisions for you.

Same thing with rigid enforcement of written regulations.
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:03 PM   #18

Default Text to neighbor

Quote:

Sorry the WiFi name was FOR POORRNNN USE ONLY. it was on open WiFi that I blocked from my families devices. You know young boys. However when they would have sleep overs their friends would search and it never failed to make 10 year old laugh.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
Censorship.....it's almost never beneficial to anyone when someone else makes your decisions for you.

Same thing with rigid enforcement of written regulations.
Whenever I hear of censorship it makes me think of Ray Bradbury's fahrenheit 451. He was a smart guy and I find myself agreeing with the result of censorship in this book.

micromind likes this.
AlmostPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostPro View Post
Whenever I hear of censorship it makes me think of Ray Bradbury's fahrenheit 451. He was a smart guy and I find myself agreeing with the result of censorship in this book.

They are remaking Fahrenheit 451 with a motherís twist. Itís coming out soon if Iím not mistaken.