Well Boys - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrician Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Like Tree147Likes

Old 06-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4,969
Default Well Boys

At 63, I had to give away almost all my retirement (profit sharing), my house, all belongings, all my savings, most of my tools, kayaks, canoes, I ended up with two trash bags of clothes and 5 years alimony but I am free of the VINDICTIVE, BITTER ............. This has been a long drawn out affair with a woman that only wanted to drive the lawyer fees up and up, I could drive a real nice car for what those guys made. But it is OVER

So now that that is off my chest I put a contract on a house today, from the residential guys do I go with a home inspection or not?

It seems home inspectors are limited in knowledge but since the home owner is paying for it, what to heck?
InPhase277 and emtnut like this.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #2
German Spy

Rewards Points: 3,873

Sounds like you should of put a contract out on her......
InPhase277 likes this.
Helmut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #3
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 2,774

Wowzers! I'm glad that's behind you dude, damn! So you're asking if you should have a third party inspection on a home you plan to purchase?
The Following User Says Thank You to Majewski For This Useful Post:
hardworkingstiff (06-03-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,008

Damn Brian, you need a better lawyer.

As far as the home inspection, I would definitely get one. Your mortgage company may require it anyway.
dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #5
German Spy

Brian, I buy homes with cash, with no inspections. (sellers love when a buyer waives inspections). I never pay asking price. I inspect them. I know what to look for, and am more qualified than most HI anyway. Most are idiots.

Having said that, if the sellers are paying for it, go for it. It'll be worth the laugh.
micromind and MechanicalDVR like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helmut For This Useful Post:
Bad Electrician (06-02-2016), specgrade (06-03-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,969

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
Damn Brian, you need a better lawyer.

As far as the home inspection, I would definitely get one. Your mortgage company may require it anyway.
I had an excellent lawyer I had a bad appraiser. My company came valued way higher that we expected due to some weird Virginia laws.

I had my company appraised a few years back and the appraisal came in fairly low, well in a divorce Virginia law handles company worth differently and it cost me.

I have no fear about the future, the mother of my children will be well taken care of and she can never tell the kids she was screwed (out of money cause the other type was non-existent), WHICH SHE HAS. I kept the kids out of the fight and tried to play fair.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #7
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Brian, I buy homes with cash, with no inspections. (sellers love when a buyer waives inspections). I never pay asking price. I inspect them. I know what to look for, and am more qualified than most HI anyway. Most are idiots.

Having said that, if the sellers are paying for it, go for it. It'll be worth the laugh.
If the sellers are paying for it, it gets added to the price of the sale and the buyer ends up funding it.
micromind likes this.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #8
German Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
If the sellers are paying for it, it gets added to the price of the sale and the buyer ends up funding it.
Stick with being a internet forum moderator, and taking pictures.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:15 PM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,482

You will have those bitter feelings right now but it is over. The whole thing is a familiar story to me and many other guys. I was 40 when I did the same thing. She got all she wanted and all I got was freedom. I hope your children don't take sides like mine have done. Best of luck with your new found freedom, make the most of it, stay healthy and prosper.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
Bad Electrician (06-02-2016), hardworkingstiff (06-03-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Electrician
I had an excellent lawyer I had a bad appraiser. My company came valued way higher that we expected due to some weird Virginia laws. I had my company appraised a few years back and the appraisal came in fairly low, well in a divorce Virginia law handles company worth differently and it cost me. I have no fear about the future, the mother of my children will be well taken care of and she can never tell the kids she was screwed (out of money cause the other type was non-existent), WHICH SHE HAS. I kept the kids out of the fight and tried to play fair.
Your a good man for it and your kids really appreciate it. I was 14 when my parents split. I was well aware of the problems, but I never heard either my father or my mother say a bad thing about each other. My father passed a few years ago, and my mom went to see him in the hospital a couple days before he passed. It meant a lot to him and they talked about old times and how great of kids myself and sisters turned out to be. It was nice for me to see that.
dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #11
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,880

HI's vary widely. I've dealt with ones that new a lot. Others that made most of
it up.
Home inspector or not, make up your own list. Simple things like checking
that every door and window fully opens and fully closes.
Good Luck,
P&L
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PlugsAndLights For This Useful Post:
Bad Electrician (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #12
Very Long Vacation

Rewards Points: 5,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Electrician View Post
At 63, I had to give away almost all my retirement (profit sharing), my house, all belongings, all my savings, most of my tools, kayaks, canoes, I ended up with two trash bags of clothes and 5 years alimony but I am free of the VINDICTIVE, BITTER ............. This has been a long drawn out affair with a woman that only wanted to drive the lawyer fees up and up, I could drive a real nice car for what those guys made. But it is OVER

So now that that is off my chest I put a contract on a house today, from the residential guys do I go with a home inspection or not?

It seems home inspectors are limited in knowledge but since the home owner is paying for it, what to heck?

My advice is don't bother. Its not worth you character or pride being mauled by someone who is seen as established.
meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #13
Very Long Vacation

Rewards Points: 5,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
Your mortgage company may require it anyway.

True, that happened on one home I was buying. I refused to be present during the inspection. Told them to just send me the report. The unopened manila folder went into the storm sewer by my side walk when I got home. A talent I acquired doing the same with report cards.
meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #14
MTW

Rewards Points: 8,684

I thought this thread was going to be about guys who drill wells or fix well pumps.
micromind, Majewski and Jrzy like this.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MTW For This Useful Post:
Bad Electrician (06-02-2016), dthurmond (06-02-2016), eric7379 (06-02-2016), Jlarson (06-04-2016), Vintage Sounds (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #15
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post

Stick with being a internet forum moderator, and taking pictures.
Sorry. I don't take orders from you.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #16
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Electrician View Post

I have no fear about the future, the mother of my children will be well taken care of and she can never tell the kids she was screwed (out of money cause the other type was non-existent), WHICH SHE HAS. I kept the kids out of the fight and tried to play fair.
(My Bold)

I've been through this ,lost everything, been broken, beaten , had the loosing lawyers, lost my biz, started over diggin' a cellarhole,etc ad naseum.

BUT this one part you wrote elevates you to my respect Brian

I don't give that out easily.

Hang in there, it gets better....

~Steve
hardworkingstiff and Majewski like this.
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chicken steve For This Useful Post:
hardworkingstiff (06-03-2016), stuiec (06-02-2016), Vintage Sounds (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 08:38 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 1,876

Home inspectors are idiots. Tell the HO to just give you the money so you can inspect it.
micromind and AcidTrip like this.
TGGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #18
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 2,774

I was going to say only hire a HI if they come referred by people you trust otherwise what's the point? Only thing is like others mentioned is of its required by mortgage company. So... You gonna make a match.com profile now?

Oh I forgot, do you still have that sweet car!?
Old 06-02-2016, 08:50 PM   #19
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

It's no more than a bureaucratic bag of bologna foisted for sake of a sale Maj , just ironic to have a pro-spark subjugated to it all.....~CS~
AcidTrip and Majewski like this.
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #20
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,360

You're going about this all wrong. You just became a free man. You're thinking about home inspections. You need to be inspecting some 25 year old waitresses, or "dancers".
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RePhase277 For This Useful Post:
Majewski (06-02-2016)