Why the fights? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrician Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Old 04-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Default Why the fights?

Seems like most threads on here end up as an argument. I'm just wondering if there's people that know each other in the real world and have issues with each other, or if it's just on here. I only recently got back on here from a couple years ago, I don't remember it being quite as dramatic back then. I've learned tons on here, it's really awesome reading some of you guys posts on things I've never even heard of! I hate it when it goes south though and the point is lost before a solution is given. Reminds me of that old show LOST. just when it starts getting good, it gets all WTF. Maybe there should be a "fight thread" started so that people could just "take it outside" ?
Legacyelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacyelectric View Post
Seems like most threads on here end up as an argument. I'm just wondering if there's people that know each other in the real world and have issues with each other, or if it's just on here. I only recently got back on here from a couple years ago, I don't remember it being quite as dramatic back then. I've learned tons on here, it's really awesome reading some of you guys posts on things I've never even heard of! I hate it when it goes south though and the point is lost before a solution is given. Reminds me of that old show LOST. just when it starts getting good, it gets all WTF. Maybe there should be a "fight thread" started so that people could just "take it outside" ?
Electricians seem to be their own worst enemy. I've seen it for 43 years and then into this forum. It is hard to explain but it has something to do with an electrician being somewhat of a "Professional". With so much knowledge that is necessary to perform well in this trade it is kind of easy to misspeak and possibly give erroneous information and the next guy...wanting to espouse the he/she is MORE PROFESSIONAL...and knows more, jumps to throw them under the bus. It is a shame. I DO think that this forum is a good place to learn.
RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,114

it used to be a good place to learn

Ive learned a lot here myself

and until certain members that are currently here are gone it wont get any better

some people just feel the need to **** on every positive thing here
drspec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drspec For This Useful Post:
guest (04-29-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drspec View Post
it used to be a good place to learn

Ive learned a lot here myself

and until certain members that are currently here are gone it wont get any better

some people just feel the need to **** on every positive thing here
Hang in here with us. I think it can get better. This IS a good forum in which to learn. I always thought that I was a good electrician until this rewire in my kitchen. I am humbled by the experience and knowledge of a house wireman.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #5

Some of it is fun to read! I'm all in with giving a guy who screws up a hard time in a funny way! Seems like there's history with some of the fights though, it gets real personal it seems. I was just curious if that all that history is on here.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #6

What you got riveter, I'm a resi guy mostly.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 642

Because **** you.
Legacyelectric (04-23-2014), Next72969 (04-22-2014), RobRoy (04-26-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #8

Quote:
What you got riveter, I'm a resi guy mostly.
Mostly, it is not being able to locate the actual hots at the switches. This new non- contact tester beeps and lights on everything. When I switch to the normal contact tester I get readings even from the neutrals to the egcs. It is weird stuff that as an industrial electrician I did not encounter. The house has to be wired right, I suppose. It has been here for about 30 years.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:22 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVETER View Post
Electricians seem to be their own worst enemy. I've seen it for 43 years and then into this forum. It is hard to explain but it has something to do with an electrician being somewhat of a "Professional". With so much knowledge that is necessary to perform well in this trade it is kind of easy to misspeak and possibly give erroneous information and the next guy...wanting to espouse the he/she is MORE PROFESSIONAL...and knows more, jumps to throw them under the bus. It is a shame. I DO think that this forum is a good place to learn.
I agree with this totally. Because we are at the top of the food chain it creates a cess pool of hungry sharks ready to piss the furthest. I think it's petty and immature. At work I tend not to throw out my brains because of this and if I do I do it in front of the right people (Other people I feel that are like me)This site helps me get that out because I love being an electrician and am constantly thinking about it, even off the clock. I don't think I offend anybody here, I may get a little immature at times but so does everybody else.
Chrisibew440 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chrisibew440 For This Useful Post:
wendon (04-23-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 11:26 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,002

Seems tame around here lately I thought.
99cents (04-23-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 11:35 PM   #11
corn-fused

Rewards Points: 620

lets fix that. on a lighter note your problem is you let rewire into your kitchen!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i like neat! just doesnt always happen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
papaotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:38 PM   #12

That's what happens when you put a bunch of prima donnas together in the same room...
ohmontherange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVETER
Mostly, it is not being able to locate the actual hots at the switches. This new non- contact tester beeps and lights on everything. When I switch to the normal contact tester I get readings even from the neutrals to the egcs. It is weird stuff that as an industrial electrician I did not encounter. The house has to be wired right, I suppose. It has been here for about 30 years.
What brand non contact are you using? Fluke works well for me in minimizing false positives. Still have to bust out the multimeter a lot though to be sure
Old 04-23-2014, 12:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Have you got a lot of boxes busted out trying to sort it all out? If so, maybe there is an open neutral somewhere and that's where your voltage neutral to ground is coming from.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:38 AM   #15

Quote:

Or, believe it or not, I've seen switched neutrals in older houses to control lights. Makes for a very interesting time with a tic tracer.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:27 AM   #16
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Quote:
With so much knowledge that is necessary to perform well in this trade it is kind of easy to misspeak and possibly give erroneous information and the next guy...wanting to espouse the he/she is MORE PROFESSIONAL...and knows more, jumps to throw them under the bus. It is a shame. I DO think that this forum is a good place to learn.
That deafening braggadocio ? Yeah, it's heard 3 forums away .....~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #17
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,655

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post
Still ass hurt from the ban huh? How odd, Chicken Steve got banned by an electrical forum. Who would have thought?
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macmikeman For This Useful Post:
electricguy (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #18
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 54

Quote:
Induced voltage. The reason you probably haven't experienced it before is because you probably didn't work with NM cable etc. Do you have a Fluke tester? If you really want to get technical, get the Fluke Stray Voltage eliminator. Are your problems on switch loops without a neutral?
wendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #19
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,332

Quote:
This forum is like an electricians bar with all of the BS and drunk talk.
MH site is more like a classroom or Church for electricians.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Southeast Power For This Useful Post:
ponyboy (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #20
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post
Wow! It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious!!
wendon is offline   Reply With Quote