Does Your Business Website Use SSL? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Featured Articles

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By wildleg

Old 09-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
Administrator

Rewards Points: 5,920
Default Does Your Business Website Use SSL?

Does Your Business Website Use SSL?-ssl-lge.jpg

Quote:
From a legal standpoint, you donít need to have an SSL certificate unless youíre collecting sensitive information from users. However, itís important to remember that without SSL, most browsers and some search engines will label your site as ďnot secureĒ, which will inevitably scare off some potential customers. Do Electricians Need SSL?
For those of you who have a business website, have you implemented SSL yet? Why? Why not?
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #2
Administrator

Rewards Points: 5,920

One thing this article doesn't mention, that I feel is important is that Google has started using HTTPS as a ranking signal for search results.

HTTPS as a ranking signal
https://webmasters.googleblog.com/20...ng-signal.html
Old 09-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,341

No, and because it would be too much work to implement it into my current site.

If I redo the site, then I would use it.

FWIW, it is not necessary on a contractor's website. There is no value to it since there is no security risk. People go to a contractor website to read some stuff and look at some pictures, then call a number.

Even if your website has provisions for a customer to pay you, that is all done on another (secure) website, not your own.

As for it being a signal in ranking, it is one of hundreds and carries almost no weight, especially in local listings where we all are. It will not change your ranking. Even if it did carry enough weight to move your rank, it would only do so if the other contractors in your area have gone to SSL.
The_Modifier and MikeFL like this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 982

while https is nice in that it helps prevent middle man attacks and plain text password and data collection, the real threat is insecure code, back doors, compromised platforms and malware attacks that can occur just as easily through an encrypted server connection as an unencrypted one. I am, however, glad that google has taken it upon itself to push for the deprecation of plain http, but the result is really only going to be the illusion of security until developers are forced to deliver platforms and operating systems that are not software versions of swiss cheese.
Signal1 likes this.
Bird dog (06-25-2019)
Old 09-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 72

I run several sites, and do not use SSL except for the checkout phase, although almost every one of my clients calls us to place their orders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:10 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2

It is very much important that your sites should be SSL approved as per the norms.
electricianoncall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #7
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildleg View Post
while https is nice in that it helps prevent middle man attacks and plain text password and data collection, the real threat is insecure code, back doors, compromised platforms and malware attacks that can occur just as easily through an encrypted server connection as an unencrypted one. I am, however, glad that google has taken it upon itself to push for the deprecation of plain http, but the result is really only going to be the illusion of security until developers are forced to deliver platforms and operating systems that are not software versions of swiss cheese.
Wait a minute. Google and Facebook sell our personal information all the time that they steal without hacking it. In fact Facebook outright states that as their business model. They can't stand privacy and state so. I do not do any business with them, not even free for that reason. Google has long been suspected of manipulating search results and data for not only legitimate but political purposes. They quietly got rid of their "do no evil" pledge. Now it's extremely evil. Google executives and documents are now on public record that they are actively attempting to make sure than crime syndicates like the Clinton Global Initiative get into high political offices and that in their own words, never again allow anyone other than bosses of crime families ever get into political office. Promoting evil with every click is now their core belief system. I stopped using Google search. Thinking about moving my photo library. Already moved email. My searches are now faster and work much better without page after page of ads and garbage like links to low information content farms.

SSL is obviously concerned about a relatively minor issue. It hides passwords from prying eyes in public spaces It certainly doesn't really stop man-in-the-middle despite claims to the contrary because it only sets up mutual secret key agreement, not signatures and Ids like secure DNS. They're not concerned about security, they're worried about competition. Since they troll search histories, personal data, photos, email, and anything else they can get their hands on, to say that google is concerned with security is laughable at best. SSL increases the computational horsepower for servers, pushing business towards googles server farm service. Security is a hassle for them, not a value.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
paulengr is offline   Reply With Quote