Have You Ever Been Exposed To Asbestos While Working? - Page 3 - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Featured Articles


Like Tree18Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2018, 10:16 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
MikeFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 6,009
Rewards Points: 914
Default

Asbestos is naturally occurring in our environment. Every human on earth has been exposed to asbestos.

It's the working with it in dense quantities which is bad for you. Sort of like smoke. You can enjoy a campfire 3x/ year and it's a nice smell. Smoke 3 packs of cigarettes per day for long and you may die from it.
__________________
Michael Gookin, President
GPS Timers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-16-2018, 10:41 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: So.Cal.
Posts: 4,068
Rewards Points: 8,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
It's nothing. I get called to work at a house trimming out and the 40 yr old son had moved back home with his mother. All morning long I'm smelling him smoking meth in his bedroom. At lunch I couldn't take it any longer and split from that job for good. Walked off , and I called the contractors board about it the very next day and told em why. Never got a call back or any fine or anything bad happen. Somebody else closed the permit.
It took you all morning to trim out his bedroom? Should have told him to take it in the garage.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:36 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: So.Cal.
Posts: 4,068
Rewards Points: 8,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
Asbestos is naturally occurring in our environment. Every human on earth has been exposed to asbestos.

It's the working with it in dense quantities which is bad for you. Sort of like smoke. You can enjoy a campfire 3x/ year and it's a nice smell. Smoke 3 packs of cigarettes per day for long and you may die from it.
I had to take an asbestos "training" course when I worked at the Unocal refinery, and "they" said that a single fiber can embed in the lung lining and not start to fester for up to 30 years. It never dissolves, and the barbed structure works it into the lung by breathing.
The insulators (guys that insulated the pipes and vessels)had to get tested every 2 years for asbestosis.
Wirenuting likes this.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-20-2018, 12:54 PM   #44
Member
 
Stryder89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 33
Rewards Points: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by active1 View Post
Years ago working on cars.
Brake linings, clutches, think a few head gaskets may of had it too.
The fine black or gray dust would blow everywhere.
Worse is many used comprised air to clean or air tools to grind away.
It would almost soak into dry skin.
It tasted worse then a box of stale crackers on a hot day without cheese or anything to wash it down. It was hard to get rid of that taste in your mouth.
Don't have clean X-rays or scans of chest. But never took it to another level to try and prove what it is or a loss.

In buildings seen it plenty of times.
Just last year in an electrical room in an old AF base hanger.
At least they had warning signs on the doors.
Inside the insulation was deteriorating and turning to dust.
All I get for safety is a "be carefull of the dust".

Think it was the Reo Hotel that got caught using day laborers to remove the asbestos from the towers. No required certs, permits, or training.

To be honest I think there are other things as bad, just waiting for them to be on the next list of wear a space suit to touch it. Like monocoat. Fiberglass or some of that blown in insulation that's probibly recycled paper and chemicals. The day has about come for silica dust.

The thing to remember with asbestos is the fibers get embedded in your lungs and dosen't come out over time. But then it turns into a form of cancer over time.
Is this where I say "Me too"?
Stryder89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #45
Member
 
Stryder89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 33
Rewards Points: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaotis View Post
if you ever work with the silver romex or most of the knob and tube wiring you have been exposed. the real problem is no one knows for sure just how much exposure is too muich. it's different for everyone. when i was a kid our school locker room had pipes running through it covered in the 'worst' offender, aircell. we used to throw it at each other!
Oh, crap, I just did three days rewiring of that old Romex work. Not to mention all my years is construction in general.
Stryder89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #46
Member
 
Stryder89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 33
Rewards Points: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
I had to take an asbestos "training" course when I worked at the Unocal refinery, and "they" said that a single fiber can embed in the lung lining and not start to fester for up to 30 years. It never dissolves, and the barbed structure works it into the lung by breathing.
The insulators (guys that insulated the pipes and vessels)had to get tested every 2 years for asbestosis.
I have a benign cyst in my lungs That shows up on x-rays. I guess my body did not appreciate that intrusion, so it built up a shield. About 15 years ago I coughed one up while doing some really aerobic sport (x-country skiing). I would like to get rid of this one too, but the Dr.s say surgery is ill advised. Maybe I should get back into the sport, but we don't get much consistent snow here is Southern California these days.
joebanana likes this.
Stryder89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: So.Cal.
Posts: 4,068
Rewards Points: 8,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder89 View Post
I have a benign cyst in my lungs That shows up on x-rays. I guess my body did not appreciate that intrusion, so it built up a shield. About 15 years ago I coughed one up while doing some really aerobic sport (x-country skiing). I would like to get rid of this one too, but the Dr.s say surgery is ill advised. Maybe I should get back into the sport, but we don't get much consistent snow here is Southern California these days.
I haven't seen snow on Mt.Baldy for years. Used to be there almost year round.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alberta Rockies
Posts: 2,884
Rewards Points: 4,120
Default

You mean other than the insulation on older pipes, insulation on transmitter sensing lines (that I found a month ago), fireboard in buildings, a sheet of it inside an old motor starter on the door, or the building walls made of transite that I'd work in daily? I can't think of any other instances..
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asbestos!! GabrielRorke Workplace Safety 12 11-02-2016 08:11 PM
Asbestos GabrielRorke Residential Electrical Forum 10 10-30-2016 06:00 PM
How easy is it to go back working non Union Heavyduty5 Union Topics 17 03-06-2016 09:02 PM
Exposed #10 as bonding nomadapower Canadian Electrical Forum 14 02-04-2016 09:49 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com