How organized is your work vehicle? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Featured Articles

Like Tree57Likes

Old 05-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
Administrator

Rewards Points: 5,920
Default How organized is your work vehicle?

How organized is your work vehicle?-organizeworkvan-lge.jpg

Quote:
An organized electrical van does more than save you valuable time and money. It shows your clients that you’re professional, detail oriented and can get the job done. That’s the image every business wants to convey. By investing a little time and money into organizing your electrical van, you can advertise your skilled demeanor every time you open the doors. 8 Tips for Organizing Your Electrician’s Van
How organized is your work vehicle?

Do you have any tips on how to keep it organized?
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Do you have any tips on how to keep it organized?
Yes, don't be a slob like most of the lazy bums here

At the end of the day the last thing I want to do is put everything back in it's place in the van, so I throw it all on the floor. But the next morning I spend 2-10 minutes putting everything back where it goes so that the floor is completely clean. Then I take the stuff I will be using that day and put it on the floor near the door.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 10,879

If this is one of those confession threads, let me be the first to say mine is a garbage dump.
Speedy Petey, Cricket and MikeFL like this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #4
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 466

It's... not.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
99cents likes this.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,626

Mine gets cleaned out when I don't have enough room to get the materials in for the next job.
Speedy Petey likes this.
jw0445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,366

Quote:
Old 05-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 8,458

About like this:

nrp3 likes this.
Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only authorities have guns. We have such a place. It's called prison.
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:49 PM   #8
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 10,879

On a good day, the material I need falls out when I open the door.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,592

Mine's pretty clean considering:
Attached Thumbnails
How organized is your work vehicle?-coolwillvan.jpg  

MTW and stiffneck like this.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:16 PM   #10
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Define "organized".
Old 05-16-2019, 09:29 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,350

I once watched a YouTube video of a graduating state police academy class where the graduates were being assigned their cars. The head honcho was telling them "Now when a citizen looks into that car they expect to see a clean, well organized car for the tax money they paid for it. They don't want to look in there and see your lunch, personal items and trash."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
I once watched a YouTube video of a graduating state police academy class where the graduates were being assigned their cars. The head honcho was telling them "Now when a citizen looks into that car they expect to see a clean, well organized car for the tax money they paid for it. They don't want to look in there and see your lunch, personal items and trash."
It's even worse in our trade because we are in the customer's house. If you can't take care of your own property and work neatly, why would the customer expect you to do it in their house? When they see a messy van they think you do messy work and you sweep the garbage under the rug.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:27 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,073

My truck is slightly more trashed then the inside of Mr Rewire's, but yet still upright. I just need a stop sign on the roof
Wirenuting and CoolWill like this.
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeSparky For This Useful Post:
Wirenuting (06-09-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 06:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
It's even worse in our trade because we are in the customer's house. If you can't take care of your own property and work neatly, why would the customer expect you to do it in their house? When they see a messy van they think you do messy work and you sweep the garbage under the rug.
I was once speaking with a customer about my dirty van. I said something similar to what you said. I was almost apologizing to her about the state my van was in. She said something like: "Nonsense. To me, your messy truck means you're too busy taking care of customers to worry about a little mess in your own space. I want the guy who is busy, not the guy who has so much free time he can wash his van every 5 minutes."

Point is, only anal pricks who you wouldn't want to work for anyway worry about such trivialities.
glen1971, Galt, B-Nabs and 1 others like this.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
I was once speaking with a customer about my dirty van. I said something similar to what you said. I was almost apologizing to her about the state my van was in. She said something like: "Nonsense. To me, your messy truck means you're too busy taking care of customers to worry about a little mess in your own space. I want the guy who is busy, not the guy who has so much free time he can wash his van every 5 minutes."

Point is, only anal pricks who you wouldn't want to work for anyway worry about such trivialities.
I disagree, I think that lady is the exception not the rule.

A normal person knows that it takes a few minutes for a serviceman to keep their van and work neat and clean. If they don't have time to keep their own van from looking like a bum ravaged it, what will they think of the way the inside of their panel looks like?

You can't possibly think that more people would appreciate a messy van than a neat one. A neat, clean, and organized van is not only a benefit to you (so you can actually find what you need) but is part of selling yourself. I always take the garbage off the front seat before pulling up to a customer's house just so that they don't see it, since so many of them end up coming up to the van to admire it.
Navyguy likes this.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:01 AM   #16
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 788

My truck is usually a rolling dumpster. It does get treated to a detailing (exterior and front inside) once a year when its at the dealer for service, due soon. I keep my customers homes clean as much of what I do is service. I don't worry about the van that much.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nrp3 For This Useful Post:
Superman (05-19-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 07:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I disagree, I think that lady is the exception not the rule.

A normal person knows that it takes a few minutes for a serviceman to keep their van and work neat and clean. If they don't have time to keep their own van from looking like a bum ravaged it, what will they think of the way the inside of their panel looks like?
The same way they thought about the inside of their panel before: Nothing.

Quote:
You can't possibly think that more people would appreciate a messy van than a neat one. A neat, clean, and organized van is not only a benefit to you (so you can actually find what you need) but is part of selling yourself.
I'm sure most people think the way you're saying when waxing philosophical. But how many times have you had a customer run out to your van to inspect it? I have never had that happen. And any customer that has seen my messy van is still a customer. I had one guy that owns a few restaurants laugh at me once, saying it looked like I rolled my truck on the way over. Still my customer. I guess I'm just lucky to have such unpretentious customers.
99cents likes this.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:25 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 644

OCD organized!

Inspectors often ask for a tour!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WronGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 3,628

My wife says the inside of my truck is a mess because you can't even see the back seat. There's a lot of stuff in it for sure, but I know where everything is, and everything has a place. Somedays there is more of a mess than other days, but it never lasts long.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:59 PM   #20
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,366

I personally have times when I'm fairly neatly squared away and times when I am pretty messy but I'm never at either extreme. Neatness and organization is a means to an end. If there's work to be done, and there always is, I will straighten up enough to stay efficient, but I won't be sorting and stacking junk in my trunk until everything's just so.

Obviously if you let things get past a certain point it gets so it's hard to put your hands on what you need when you need it, that's no way to work. Occasionally when things get particularly messed up, I have to stop and tidy up some just so I can concentrate on what I'm doing.

One of my customers at a county agency retired from the state police where he was some big deal investigator, he was a real sharp guy. He was fairly neat and tidy type but he told me if someone's desk was REALLY neat, like too neat, watch them!

I have a customer who has a zero tolerance policy for untidiness. They have fired people more than once for violations like leaving the trash from their burger king lunch in their truck. But don't get the idea that they are just THAT super squared away, so perfect that they didn't tolerate even that slight infraction. Unfortunately nothing could be farther from the truth, they have one of the most incompetent crews I have ever seen, always getting sued, terrible turnover, very seldom get any repeat business - just a total bottomfeeder company - but the vans are neat.

In the military and the police, keep in mind that for many there are long periods of time where there's nothing to do but wait for something to happen. Making people shine things is a good way to keep them out of trouble and somewhat engaged in the job in those intervals. I haven't had a time when I was waiting for something to happen in decades.
TGGT likes this.
TGGT (05-17-2019)