thread catagory viewing option - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Forum Support > Site Help and Suggestions

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By wildleg
  • 1 Post By trentonmakes

Old 08-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,004
Default thread catagory viewing option

I realize that this concept has (in so many words) been beat to death, but I am posting this as a "suggestion".

It occurred to me that while one of your coders is taking a coffee break from coding adware, it might be an interesting addition to the forum code to provide the user, in their settings, an iterated check list of the (major) categories in the forum which would display if checked.

This would provide a (non-admin managed) solution to the controversial section, as well as provide users in this forum and others the ability to choose major categories that they are interested/not interested in, which might actually be a benefit to all. For instance, those who just want to join the forum to read posts on "Alternative Energy" could do so, or those not interested in "UK forum" could uncheck that catagory.

Additionally, one could always check or uncheck at will, and not have to involve admin for anything.

As always, just an idea, probably something already thought of, my 02
Essex (08-21-2017)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #2
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,712

I think that's a great idea.

I was thinking it would be nice to have two "New Posts" links, on with Controversial Topics included, one without. So you could look at that stuff sometimes, but not always. @wildleg 's solution is a much nicer way to handle it, and you can fix what you see without pestering an admin.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #3
Administrator

Rewards Points: 5,926

It is not pestering me when you ask to have the controversial section blocked for you. It takes me about 30 seconds to do it. For those who choose to do this, it no longer shows within new posts.

As far as the rest of the forum sections, I am not going to start messing with what does and does not show within new posts based on personal preferences.

On the main page though, you can close sections by clicking on the tiny up arrows so that the forums within don't show for you. (The will still show in new posts.)

thread catagory viewing option-et1.png

thread catagory viewing option-et2.png
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2017, 05:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 138

Why block it? If anyone is that bothered by it, dont click on it!
Lol

I see plenty of posts(not naming names), that really make me wonder....you know what ?, i simply read past ot or ignore it. Lol

Sometimes, ok maybe most times i'll point out what an idiot they are, but if it really bothered me id ignore it all together.

My 02cents

ANSWERE THE QUESTION STEVIE!
MechanicalDVR likes this.
trentonmakes is offline   Reply With Quote