1/4 HP 1 PH 115 V Motor On A 20 Amp Breaker? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By frenchelectrican
  • 2 Post By stiffneck
  • 2 Post By Fishbulb
  • 2 Post By micromind
  • 1 Post By Dennis Alwon
  • 1 Post By CoolWill
  • 2 Post By emtnut
  • 1 Post By John R
  • 1 Post By JRaef
  • 1 Post By John R
  • 1 Post By joe-nwt
  • 2 Post By joe-nwt

Old 06-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,776
Default 1/4 HP 1 PH 115 V Motor On A 20 Amp Breaker?

Engineered drawings show a basic 1/4 HP 1 PH 115 volt motor on a 20 amp breaker. I believe this is in violation of 430.52(C)(1) which states 'A protective device that has a rating or setting not exceeding the value calculated according to the values given in Table 430.52 shall be used'.

An exception states that if the value does not correspond with a standard rating, the next higher one can be used.

Table 430.52 states that the breaker can be 250% of the current listed in Tables 430.247 - 250. The value listed for this motor is 5.8 amps. 5.8 X 2.5 = 14.5, therefore a 15 amp breaker is the maximum.

Is there anything that allows a 20 to be used in this case? Or is the engineer an Ijit?
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #2
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

is this motor will be hardwired or not ?

Keep in your mind most single phase motors do have interal overload protection so you may get some leeway on that. but if that motor do not have any overload protection then yuh you have to swap the breaker downsized it.
micromind likes this.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #3
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
is this motor will be hardwired or not ?

Keep in your mind most single phase motors do have interal overload protection so you may get some leeway on that. but if that motor do not have any overload protection then yuh you have to swap the breaker downsized it.
It is hardwired and it does have integral O/L.

It's a vent fan controlled by a basic wall switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 968

Go to 430.52(C)(1)Exception No. 2(c). He may have used that, IF the motor didn't start using the table#. Has this install already been tried with the 15amp?
micromind and splatz like this.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
Engineered drawings show a basic 1/4 HP 1 PH 115 volt motor on a 20 amp breaker. I believe this is in violation of 430.52(C)(1) which states 'A protective device that has a rating or setting not exceeding the value calculated according to the values given in Table 430.52 shall be used'.
If you're installing it as a motor circuit that is true. But for something this small there is little point to doing so. If you're running #12 conductors you may consider this a general purpose branch circuit. 430.32 would then apply:

Quote:
430.42 Motors on General-Purpose Branch Circuits. Overload protection for motors used on general-purpose branch circuits as permitted in Article 210 shall be provided as specified in 430.42(A), (B), (C), or (D).
The motor has its own overload protection, is not over 1 HP, and is permanently installed so only (D) would be relevant.

Quote:
(D) Time Delay. The branch-circuit short-circuit and ground-fault protective device protecting a circuit to which a motor or motor-operated appliance is connected shall have sufficient time delay to permit the motor to start and accelerate its load.
I can't see a 1/4 HP vent blower being a problem in this regard.
micromind and telsa like this.
Fishbulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:18 PM   #6
Bilge Rat

Since I was pretty sure it was a violation, I used a15 amp breaker and it was able to start it, no problems.
splatz and stiffneck like this.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:48 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,348

If you installed it on a circuit with lights it would be fine on a 20 amp circuit.

Quote:
210.23(A)(2) Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place. The total rating
of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than luminaires,
shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch-circuit ampere
rating where lighting units, cord-and-plug-connected utilization
equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied.
micromind likes this.
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:40 PM   #8
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
If you installed it on a circuit with lights it would be fine on a 20 amp circuit.
I thought of that too but it's on a dedicated circuit.

A lot of vent hoods have lights, not this one.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,778

Quote:
I thought of that too but it's on a dedicated circuit.

A lot of vent hoods have lights, not this one.
It doesn't know that.
micromind likes this.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #10
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,292

1/4hp fan motor ... could have LOTS of lights and a fridge on that circuit
micromind and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:35 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 160
Default John R retired electrician from Fed Gov

Quote:

An exception states that if the value does not correspond with a standard rating, the next higher one can be used.

Table 430.52 states that the breaker can be 250% of the current listed in Tables 430.247 - 250. The value listed for this motor is 5.8 amps. 5.8 X 2.5 = 14.5, therefore a 15 amp breaker is the maximum.

Is there anything that allows a 20 to be used in this case? Or is the engineer an Ijit?
SD has a 10 Amp
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
John R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:12 PM   #12
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
SD has a 10 Amp
I use those in control panels a lot. There are about 10 of them in the one I'm building for the plant I'm working on.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,110

430.42 has to do with the overload protection, 430.52 is about the short circuit protection. Different issues.

MM, I would have done it the way you did, install the 15A (but run #12) and if worked (which I would have known it would), leave it alone. If someone complains that it was "supposed" to be a 20A breaker, make them prove why.

And "because I said so" doesn't count...
micromind likes this.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:31 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 160
Default John R retired electrician from Fed Gov

Quote:

I would use a 15 Amp breaker and a AC Manual Motor Switch with OL. used them on sub pump up to 2 hp for years and no problems
micromind likes this.
John R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:38 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 686

Quote:
Since I was pretty sure it was a violation, I used a15 amp breaker and it was able to start it, no problems.
Why wouldn't it? Millions of furnace blower motors run on a 15A breaker.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
joe-nwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #16
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-nwt View Post
Why wouldn't it? Millions of furnace blower motors run on a 15A breaker.
A furnace blower motor is almost always the PSC type. This one was cap-start.....much higher starting current.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 686

Quote:
A furnace blower motor is almost always the PSC type. This one was cap-start.....much higher starting current.
Even so, what's the running amps, about 5ish? No reason it wouldn't start on a 15A breaker
micromind and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
joe-nwt is online now   Reply With Quote