1 Meg Tesla Charging Station - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By backstay
  • 6 Post By Chris1971
  • 1 Post By Southeast Power

Old 06-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,140
Default 1 Meg Tesla Charging Station

We were invited to a design build of a 32 station parking garage installation.
Is there a demand factor for these type of installations?
I will be bringing an engineer in but, I was wondering with so many of these installations out there is one of our members might have been in on one of these projects.
We will need to cover about 300'. Are these typically 480 out to a distribution and divided up into two 500kva sections?
I was also wondering how receptive our POCO would be to giving us 600 volts
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2017, 09:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,580

I looked at one last week called for single phase 240/208 40 amp to each location. I was looking for a derating factor as well, but in theory they all could be on line at the same time after rush hour?
Old 06-20-2017, 09:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 84

Huh. Would it be for someplace with fairly defined hours of operation like an office building or random hours like an apartment complex? At an office building, all the Teslas would start charging around 8am or whenever office drones work. An apartment block would probably see a much more gentle demand curve as people trickle in and out.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Jarp Habib is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2017, 10:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 296

Loads would have to be calculated as continuous I would think.

Attached Thumbnails
1 Meg Tesla Charging Station-img_0257.jpg  

frenchelectrican likes this.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to backstay For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (06-21-2017), Southeast Power (06-21-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 10:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,276

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
I looked at one last week called for single phase 240/208 40 amp to each location. I was looking for a derating factor as well, but in theory they all could be on line at the same time after rush hour?
Rush hour? What is that?
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
Rush hour? What is that?
Nebraska rush hour is when your trying to get all the corn harvested before the first snowfall.
Chris1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:35 PM   #7
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Power View Post
We were invited to a design build of a 32 station parking garage installation.
Is there a demand factor for these type of installations?
I will be bringing an engineer in but, I was wondering with so many of these installations out there is one of our members might have been in on one of these projects.
We will need to cover about 300'. Are these typically 480 out to a distribution and divided up into two 500kva sections?
I was also wondering how receptive our POCO would be to giving us 600 volts
I would treat them as cont operation due in office spot where those cube dolts land in the same time it will really put a load on charging system.

basically almost same way with industrail battery charger for long time.

480 Delta or 480 wye ??

I would try to see if you can sling a 415Y240 volt system I know it may get ya a double look but personally I think it may be a best methold if the charger do not say it have to be speciflly line to line loads or can go with Line to neutral load then I will go this route if possible.,,

what type of automovite charger they are plan to use ? if commercal grade type try to see if ya can get in three phase input then single phase output .,, I dont know if that festiable .,,
Old 06-21-2017, 12:18 AM   #8
86 45 20

Two things I might know but am speculating.

These chargers are on the map to service people traveling through an area and are not intended for people with a home charging station.

These will be super chargers. They are asking for 3000 amps for 32 charging stations.
With that said, I suspect we are looking at 90% demand factor.

The super charger will top you off in 30 minutes so, by the time you have coffee or lunch, its done.
I suspect they will charge a car and then the demand for that spot will be 0 or, maybe less than 0 if they do some kind of net metering with it.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:48 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,366

Name:  3000A.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  11.3 KB

3000A breaker
won't be cheap !
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:13 AM   #10
Modérateur

Quote:
Two things I might know but am speculating.

These chargers are on the map to service people traveling through an area and are not intended for people with a home charging station.

These will be super chargers. They are asking for 3000 amps for 32 charging stations.
With that said, I suspect we are looking at 90% demand factor.

The super charger will top you off in 30 minutes so, by the time you have coffee or lunch, its done.
I suspect they will charge a car and then the demand for that spot will be 0 or, maybe less than 0 if they do some kind of net metering with it.
I heard about the super chargers and I am pretty sure they are wired for single phase useally on 480 or 415 volts supply 80 to 100 amp input rating .,, so that is pretty strong charger.,,

the other thing you will have to keep in your mind when you and the engineer design this place is the commuation ports too cuz when some peoples come up to the charger port and have to pay it before it can start the charging mode.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:16 AM   #11
86 45 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
Attachment 107442

3000A breaker
won't be cheap !
I was thinking of a BPS as a main if I needed one.
If I could go Delta Delta with it, my installation could survive with a loss of a fuse.
Also, the project can be divided into 4 sections with eight stations in each of the distribution panels.
or,
I could bring the 480 onto an SE rated MDP with 4- main breakers.
Each of the mains could feed one of the 4 sections and would only have to find a spot for a 250kva transformer and an 800 amp panel board with 8 100 amp breakers.

OK,
That part is done. How do I get 1500 amps of 480 from the street level to the 6th floor of a parking garage with retail on the first two levels? 6 sets of 350 aluminum?
Old 06-21-2017, 01:26 AM   #12
Modérateur

Quote:
I was thinking of a BPS as a main if I needed one.
If I could go Delta Delta with it, my installation could survive with a loss of a fuse.
Also, the project can be divided into 4 sections with eight stations in each of the distribution panels.
or,
I could bring the 480 onto an SE rated MDP with 4- main breakers.
Each of the mains could feed one of the 4 sections and would only have to find a spot for a 250kva transformer and an 800 amp panel board with 8 100 amp breakers.

OK,
That part is done. How do I get 1500 amps of 480 from the street level to the 6th floor of a parking garage with retail on the first two levels? 6 sets of 350 aluminum?
Just hang on a second did you look up any kind specs on tesla super charger yet ?? the last time I heard they do have 480 volt input that can dail up to full 100 amp @ 480 volts SP but I dont know if they did mention three phase or not.,

total of 8 floors If I read it right ?? but I am not sure excat number of distance but that kinda pretty tight with that set you poposed for it .,, I would sling out 500 alum.. that batch should work up to 1800 amp ( 6 sets ) if under 100 meters but over 100 meter then I have to recaluated it.,,
Old 06-21-2017, 01:55 AM   #13
Modérateur

Suncoast Power.,, I did do little digging to get the USA side specs and ya you can run full boat for super tesla chargers the specs I kinda catch some it but it did mention 120 KW for sure.,,

I think ya can wired that in 480 triphase then the output of the charger will be straight DC not the AC side as smaller resdentail type chargers is.,,

I know I did got the asian speced verison but nothing on my island yet but it will be soon and ya we can hook up either 480 or 415 volt network depending on the design of supercharger is.,,

Also I did do little goggle about the charger station and there one in florida somewhere near your area.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #14
86 45 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Suncoast Power.,, I did do little digging to get the USA side specs and ya you can run full boat for super tesla chargers the specs I kinda catch some it but it did mention 120 KW for sure.,,

I think ya can wired that in 480 triphase then the output of the charger will be straight DC not the AC side as smaller resdentail type chargers is.,,

I know I did got the asian speced verison but nothing on my island yet but it will be soon and ya we can hook up either 480 or 415 volt network depending on the design of supercharger is.,,

Also I did do little goggle about the charger station and there one in florida somewhere near your area.
We have a station along our turnpike, I'll check it out we used to do generator maintenance there.
As for the 480, that is very good news.
They seem to budget 175,000 for the 16 station installs, I think since this is a double ill budget to them 350k and see how they like it.
frenchelectrican likes this.