100 A 240 V coffee bean roaster - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree12Likes

Old 09-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 3,010
Default 100 A 240 V coffee bean roaster

I have a job where I thought it was just a commercial counter-top coffee brewing machine, Go to look today and it is a coffee bean roaster @ 100 A 240 V single phase. Customer was hoping to have a receptacle/ plug for a disconnect so he could move the machine if he wanted I don't see anything that Large . I am looking at hardwired . Is such a receptacle available ? not wanting to go the arc tite route
electricguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 709

100 amp disconnect with integrated pin and sleeve receptacle
MechanicalDVR and telsa like this.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 26,512

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricguy View Post
I have a job where I thought it was just a commercial counter-top coffee brewing machine, Go to look today and it is a coffee bean roaster @ 100 A 240 V single phase. Customer was hoping to have a receptacle/ plug for a disconnect so he could move the machine if he wanted I don't see anything that Large . I am looking at hardwired . Is such a receptacle available ? not wanting to go the arc tite route
http://www.meltric.com/

DR type.

He can obviously afford it.

These are easy to install.

Yes, use an FS back box, too, just as in the photo.

Don't be surprised if he doesn't have 'wash down' concerns.

So a hard wired scheme just won't cut it.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #4

I am gonna have issues i think looks like the equipment needs 240 V and there is just a 3 phase panel in the proximity
Old 09-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #5

Quote:
I am gonna have issues i think looks like the equipment needs 240 V and there is just a 3 phase panel in the proximity

I'm sure it can run at 208 single phase as well. Stupid design for the unit though, 100 amp single phase is just dumb, what's the actual loads, a couple motors and heaters? Something doesn't sound right
Old 09-01-2016, 02:57 PM   #6

contacting the company that sold it to him It is made by US Roaster Corp I looked at a schematic that listed 100 amps 240 volt but when I looked at the contactor it didnt look like it would accept a #2 or #3 conductor. it is cul listed
Old 09-01-2016, 03:04 PM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 3,006

Quote:
contacting the company that sold it to him It is made by US Roaster Corp I looked at a schematic that listed 100 amps 240 volt but when I looked at the contactor it didnt look like it would accept a #2 or #3 conductor. it is cul listed
Most of them are 3ph, haven't seen one with that high an amp requirement.

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 114

Quote:
You checked to make sure it's not 240 3ph? If it is 208 you should Def contract the manufacturer if 208 voltage is not specifically allowed in the literature. Aside from other concerns 208 will simply not heat the unit as fast as 240. Maybe the manufacturer has accounted for this...Maybe not. I tried to be a coffee snob so I know the roasting matters greatly. Don't assume things when it comes to your costumers equipment. It's how they make money with which to pay you.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk
Flyingsod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flyingsod For This Useful Post:
electricguy (09-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 03:15 PM   #9

Customer is getting me in contact with the seller.
Dash Dingo likes this.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:17 PM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingsod View Post
You checked to make sure it's not 240 3ph? If it is 208 you should Def contract the manufacturer if 208 voltage is not specifically allowed in the literature. Aside from other concerns 208 will simply not heat the unit as fast as 240. Maybe the manufacturer has accounted for this...Maybe not. I tried to be a coffee snob so I know the roasting matters greatly. Don't assume things when it comes to your costumers equipment. It's how they make money with which to pay you.

After having a Nescafe plant as a service client I learned to hate the smell of roasting coffee beans, you can smell it miles away on the drive there.
splatz likes this.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:30 PM   #11

there is a stand alone unit also, called the after burner, looking at the heater element conductors looked to be no more than a #10 if even #12 awg
Old 09-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #12

This is making more sense, each unit need 50 amps 208 V so 2 circuits thanks for your help guys.

"The electric supply needs to also be ready to go, it should be
50 Amps of 208V with a dedicated neutral to the roaster control panel and a
50 Amp, 208V with a dedicated neutral supply to the catalyst cabinet
control box."
Dash Dingo likes this.

Last edited by electricguy; 09-01-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingsod View Post

I think it's ok to assume the customer normally doesn't know wtf they're talking about in cases like this. Installing what the customer thinks they need without doing your own research is a good way to look like an idiot and ensure you'll be tearing it out and doing it again.
Cow, just the cowboy and telsa like this.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:43 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 58

I have a project where the client has not provided load information after MANY requests!! Nor have they answered numerous other questions regarding existing electrical capacity, etc. So, we cannot provide design drawings, and haven't. Now they say we are holding the project up and are refusing to pay any body on the design team. So electrical is now the bad guy.

I would walk away and tell them to pound sand, - but that leaves the rest of the team up the creek.

Grrrrrr

RC
Dash Dingo likes this.
Ragin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
I have a project where the client has not provided load information after MANY requests!! Nor have they answered numerous other questions regarding existing electrical capacity, etc. So, we cannot provide design drawings, and haven't. Now they say we are holding the project up and are refusing to pay any body on the design team. So electrical is now the bad guy.

I would walk away and tell them to pound sand, - but that leaves the rest of the team up the creek.

Grrrrrr

RC
This behavior is actually quite common.

One should ALWAYS move the 'suits' out of the way and deal directly with the tech reps for the equipment to be installed.

This is often easily achieved by merely placing a phone call -- even behind their backs in in their faces.

You need only dial the switchboard and tell the manufacturer's operator that you need to reach the tech rep for such and such a piece of gear that has either been sold or is in the works. The operator will know, or find, the person that counts, completing an otherwise obscure connection that is troublesome to make any other way. Making this very phone call is what is putting the 'suits' off the task.

Modern outfits are getting to the point where you might even engage in a video conference -- from your lap top// iPad to his.

A tech rep LIVES to handle such sales related calls.

The moment any issue turns technical, expect that the 'suits' will drop the ball -- if not actually run away.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #16
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 1,194

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
After having a Nescafe plant as a service client I learned to hate the smell of roasting coffee beans, you can smell it miles away on the drive there.
A friend of mine started his plumbing apprenticeship at a winery, he said it was awful going in with a hangover and driving into the stink of stale wine
Dash Dingo likes this.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:08 PM   #17
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
A friend of mine started his plumbing apprenticeship at a winery, he said it was awful going in with a hangover and driving into the stink of stale wine
I can just imagine what that smelled like. I think one reason I dislike beer so much is from smelling the refrigeration units that so much of it is spilled in.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
I can just imagine what that smelled like. I think one reason I dislike beer so much is from smelling the refrigeration units that so much of it is spilled in.
That's only a splash away from the stink of used beer.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #19
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 518

My favorite is "I got this great deal on a piece of used equipment". Show up and it's 480 3 phase and there's no three phase on site. Next time ask first...
zac and Dash Dingo like this.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp3 View Post
My favorite is "I got this great deal on a piece of used equipment". Show up and it's 480 3 phase and there's no three phase on site. Next time ask first...
Hehe yeah I had a similar thing when I was first starting. Customer called in the morning to 'come hook up this new motor' I get there and it's a 200 hp that he wants me to run from a 100 amp load center. So I trace it back to the device to see if there's any open slots... Well it turns out it's only a 400 amp service. That maintenance guy lost his job.

Flyingsod is offline   Reply With Quote