100A Resi Main Breaker Tripping - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree60Likes

Old 10-06-2018, 01:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,720
Default 100A Resi Main Breaker Tripping

A new customer called and said they're main breaker for their house keeps tripping. Like twice a month for the last 10 years. I get them to turn on the oven, A/C and dryer and microwave. I got 13A on the oven, 10A on the AC, 23A on the Dryer and 12A on the microwave. I took a thermal reading and the main 100A was 30 Degrees celsius. The main then tripped and wouldn't reset right away. After 3-4 minutes it reset. I'm wondering, if the 100A breaker has been tripping for years, could that degrade it to the point where it could trip at a lower amperage? I'm also thinking there could be a loose screw on the main which could create arcing and heat up the breaker.

Sent from my SM-G9650 using Tapatalk
Aegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,520

Yes breakers tripping degrade their quality.

If it is tripping under low load then yes, you need a new breaker. If there was something loose you would have seen the heat on your thermal reading.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eddy current For This Useful Post:
Aegis (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 01:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Like twice a month for the last 10 years.
That's hard to believe. When exactly? Only only on weekends? Only at night? Winter or summer? By now something should have stopped working or burned up.
Max C. likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 769

A breaker tripping 240 times is a prime candidate for replacement. I would suggest offering a service upgrade to 200A.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 7,520

Agree with Hack. If they don’t go for the upgrade to 200 amp at least Replace the whole panel. If you replace just the breaker and it keeps happening you have to go back and replace the panel anyway. Should be an easy sell considering they loose power so often
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eddy current For This Useful Post:
Aegis (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 02:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,232

Quote:
A new customer called and said they're main breaker for their house keeps tripping. Like twice a month for the last 10 years. I get them to turn on the oven, A/C and dryer and microwave. I got 13A on the oven, 10A on the AC, 23A on the Dryer and 12A on the microwave. I took a thermal reading and the main 100A was 30 Degrees celsius. The main then tripped and wouldn't reset right away. After 3-4 minutes it reset. I'm wondering, if the 100A breaker has been tripping for years, could that degrade it to the point where it could trip at a lower amperage? I'm also thinking there could be a loose screw on the main which could create arcing and heat up the breaker.

If you google how a breaker works you will have a better understanding on why it takes a while to reset and why after multiply trips it starts to trip earlier than designed.
gpop is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpop For This Useful Post:
Aegis (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,552

I agree with the others that it's time for a panel upgrade and not just a new breaker.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,346

Every time I had a main breaker tripping I had to replace it. Certainly check the load but my bet is the bus bar or the breaker
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
macmikeman (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
That's hard to believe. When exactly? Only only on weekends? Only at night? Winter or summer? By now something should have stopped working or burned up.
Only in the summer, day time and it happens randomly when the AC/Oven or dryer are all going. It could be possible that one of the phases at 120v is over loaded added on top of the 240v stuff. The breakers are 40 years old.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:03 PM   #10

You had a faulty bus bar? Or just the terminations to it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
Every time I had a main breaker tripping I had to replace it. Certainly check the load but my bet is the bus bar or the breaker
Old 10-06-2018, 04:03 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,970

Quote:
Only in the summer, day time and it happens randomly when the AC/Oven or dryer are all going. It could be possible that one of the phases at 120v is over loaded added on top of the 240v stuff. The breakers are 40 years old.

I agree with the other posters for a service upgrade.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:08 PM   #12
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,432

I'd replace the breaker right off the bat. Inspect the panel and see if there's any reason to believe it's not in order. I'd double check the load and see if there's really any reason to believe it's overloaded. If there's no reason to believe there's something wrong with the panel or it's overloaded, I don't see recommending an upgrade. If you want to really be on the ball leaving something there to monitor the load would be the right thing to do.
Aegis likes this.
Aegis (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 04:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
I'd replace the breaker right off the bat. Inspect the panel and see if there's any reason to believe it's not in order. I'd double check the load and see if there's really any reason to believe it's overloaded. If there's no reason to believe there's something wrong with the panel or it's overloaded, I don't see recommending an upgrade. If you want to really be on the ball leaving something there to monitor the load would be the right thing to do.
I said let's go with the cheaper option, if we have to at a later date we can change the whole panel. I've never left anything to monitor the load after I leave, what do you recommend for that?

Old 10-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #14
Mensa Player

Splatz just likes playing with his toys. Change out the 40 year old panel and be done with it. Offer a service upgrade.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:30 PM   #15
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,686

What brand is the panel? What kind of shape is it in?
electricguy likes this.
Cow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow View Post
What brand is the panel? What kind of shape is it in?
Commander, looks like a regular old panel. White breakers.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:57 PM   #17
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
I said let's go with the cheaper option, if we have to at a later date we can change the whole panel. I've never left anything to monitor the load after I leave, what do you recommend for that?
I have not used these, and I don't know if this is available in Canada, but @HackWork recommended this brand and they are a better buy than anything I have used...

http://www.theenergydetective.com/homemtuct200.html
Old 10-06-2018, 05:07 PM   #18
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,655

It probably is a bad breaker. Check it and the busbars of that panel. Replace the main breaker and collect the money. It probably won't trip again. If it does then swap the panel and upgrade the service/ feeder as necessary. But , what I do is tell them I am replacing the main, it probably will be fine now, but if it still trips then you have a larger problem and the panel will need replacement, along with an upgrade.

All these years later and I still don't try to sell people something they don't need , except for surge protection. Surge protection is my ice cream dessert. I feel it is mandated by my drive over and general overhead and willingness to show up.
So I sell just about everybody a whole house surge protection device. They really really really really really need those. They do. They need them. $500.
electricguy and splatz like this.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #19
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Splatz just likes playing with his toys. Change out the 40 year old panel and be done with it. Offer a service upgrade.
It's true I DO like testing, monitoring, logging, analyzing, etc. But more than anything, I like really figuring out what's going on. The thing that nags at me here is, what if there's actually some overload occurring occasionally, and why?

My approach:
Replace the bad main now.
Montior now to see if they are really getting overloaded, and know actual utilization.
If it's a 40 year old panel, consider panel replacement or other service (old breakers).
Offer service upgrade if you can justify it based on future plans and current utilization.

Last edited by splatz; 10-06-2018 at 05:32 PM.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #20
Mensa Player

Mikey, walk thru any customer’s house and you will find a couple hundred things that they don’t need, yet they purchased. The manufacturer and retailers of those products were happy to sell them.

Why don’t they need a safe, modern electrical panel? Why is a 40 year old panel that is malfunctioning not considered something reasonable to replace?

Why do we try to be “better” than all the millions of other businesses that sell products and services that people don’t “need”, but still purchase?

I ask this as a genuine question because I see myself doing it all the time. I will sell myself out of work using the same line of thinking that the customer really doesn’t need something. Yet as I’m walking out the door I see a dozen items totaling hundreds or thousands of dollars that the customer didn’t need, but bought anyway. Those companies were happy to sell it and make the profit, shouldn’t we be as well?
flyboy, Dark Knight and Signal1 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
flyboy (10-07-2018)