120 vs 277 twist lock plugs - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By matt1124
  • 5 Post By Dennis Alwon
  • 3 Post By gpop
  • 2 Post By Dennis Alwon
  • 1 Post By Dennis Alwon

Old 07-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #1

Default 120 vs 277 twist lock plugs

I was wondering out of curiousity what the difference between a 120v 20a twist lock and a 277v 20a twist lock would be... and could you use one for the other if necessary? Since the amperage is the same wouldn’t the terminals be as well?🤔
ItsTheGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
Magic Smoke Remover

Rewards Points: 1,966

Use the 120V receptacle for 277V and let me know how that goes when someone plugs in a 120V applicance.
glen1971, splatz and trentonmakes like this.
matt1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,262

I assume you work in a plant? What you are describing is very dangerous and should not be done. Would it work-- sure if you matched both ends but there is a reason devices are rated at the various voltages.

Please don't think about doing this to save a few dollars.
glen1971, splatz, Bird dog and 2 others like this.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #4

Lol I said twist lock plug, they are identical in design silly. It’s not a normal outlet. I don’t plan on saving a few bucks by doing this I’m just curious in the difference in design since I’ve used both of them many times on many different projects and they seem identical. It’s easy to know with differences in current, where as a high voltage wire can be super thin such as in some ballasts.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheGator View Post
Lol I said twist lock plug, they are identical in design silly. Itís not a normal outlet. I donít plan on saving a few bucks by doing this Iím just curious in the difference in design since Iíve used both of them many times on many different projects and they seem identical. Itís easy to know with differences in current, where as a high voltage wire can be super thin such as in some ballasts.
they are different as one pin has a angle facing in and the other has the angle facing out to stop people putting them in the wrong receptacles
glen1971, Gnome and splatz like this.
gpop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #6

Look at a 520 R and a 720 R on a Nema chart. The 720-Ris a 277v 20 amp locking receptacle and the 520-R is a 125V locking receptacle. They are not the same

https://www.webberelectronics.com/in...ing-nema-chart
glen1971 and Bird dog like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
Bird dog (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #7

Ok you right my mistake, now that you mention it I recall them having different ground connections... ‘same’ was a poor word choice, my point was that it’s not a regular recept that someone is going to be plugging their phone charger to. So does anyone know the answer to my question or naw? I just want to know the difference in how they are made.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #8
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 328

They would be tested to approximately the same specifications so from an electrical point of view they are identical. But plugging a 120 V piece of equipment into a 277 V receptacle or vice versa is a very bad thing so mechanically they are made to prevent you from doing just that. There might be a slightly lower testing specification for the 120 V plug but I seriously doubt you are doing anything more than splitting hairs. When it comes to wiring for instance everything will be rated either 300 or 600 V although 300 V wiring is actually pretty rare to find (no significant cost savings).
paulengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:08 PM   #9
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,668

Either receptacle and plug would very likely handle 1000 volts, maybe more.

The reason they have different pin configurations is to prevent them from being interchanged.

Yes, you could apply 277 to the 120 version and it'd work perfectly fine.......until someone saw '20 amps 120 volts' on the receptacle and connected lets say, a ballast for 120 and.......
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:07 PM   #10

The problem is not phone chargers but equipment that may be rated 120 v and has a twist lock cord on it. The female part now has 277v so you can see the issue. Maybe not likely to happen but it can
micromind likes this.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #11
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,598

We put 277v twistlock receps on some of our dairy customers 120v lighting circuits. The cord ends on the light fixtures are standardized 277v L7-15P and they have 120-277v ballasts/drivers in them. So the customers light fixtures will work in several different areas around the farm that have either 120v or 277v lighting circuits.

Just don't ever go backwards and put 120v twistlocks on 277v circuits. Common sense should tell you that.
Cow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:37 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 778

I have often wondered the same thing. I fully understand the reason for the different nema configurations and will never try to get around that. But I have always wondered about the difference. Even the difference in a resi grade recep and a 20 amp duplex. They seem to have the plug in and pull out force, they corrode and burn up at the same rate in nasty environments. I have a hard time justifying the cost for commercial devices in most applications.
tmessner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:03 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,149

Convention contractors do it everyday.
Cords are for what ever voltage you need to run thru it.
Just label the voltage 277/480 or whatever & were good to go.
active1 is offline   Reply With Quote