16 AWG wire ampacity at higher temperatures - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By don_resqcapt19

Old 10-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22
Default 16 AWG wire ampacity at higher temperatures

Hi,

I would like to use a particular 16 AWG copper wire with a PTFE jacket. It is stranded, with (19) 29 AWG strands.

Its specs say that it is rated for temperatures up to 200 deg C. This temperature rating is good enough for the heated area where I hope to use this wire, but I want to make sure that it also has the required ampacity for my application.

My maximum current draw on any single wire would be 5.625 amps. Can anyone tell me where I can find a table that shows the ampacity for 16 AWG wire with an explanation as to whether I have to adjust the rating for my higher temperatures?

Also, will the ampacity of all 16 AWG wire be the same at a particular temperature? Or is some 16 AWG (like the kind that is made for higher temperatures) made differently than others so that it can handle higher current?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Paul Kraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25,884

You want hard engineering values.

Contact the manufacturers.

All of the Big Boys crank this stuff out right along with THWN and all the rest.

Just call up their tech desk. Those guys get lonely if you don't call.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kraemer View Post
Hi,

I would like to use a particular 16 AWG copper wire with a PTFE jacket. It is stranded, with (19) 29 AWG strands.

Its specs say that it is rated for temperatures up to 200 deg C. This temperature rating is good enough for the heated area where I hope to use this wire, but I want to make sure that it also has the required ampacity for my application.

My maximum current draw on any single wire would be 5.625 amps. Can anyone tell me where I can find a table that shows the ampacity for 16 AWG wire with an explanation as to whether I have to adjust the rating for my higher temperatures?

Also, will the ampacity of all 16 AWG wire be the same at a particular temperature? Or is some 16 AWG (like the kind that is made for higher temperatures) made differently than others so that it can handle higher current?

Thanks in advance,
Paul
If you are wiring inside the machine you are under a different set of rules than the NEC which is what we mostly discuss here. If it's to a machine the NEC doesn't allow for power conductors to be that small. 14 awg is the smallest you can go.

In either case YOU DO HAVE TO DERATE for heat.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk
Flyingsod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,224

The NEC provides for the use of #16 and #18 conductors in 240.4(D)(1)&(2). The adjustment and correction factors must be applied based on the conditions of use.
The overcurrent protection would have to be Class CC, J or T fuses as the section requires all other types of overcurrent devices to be specifically listed and marked for use with the smaller conductor size. I am not aware of any devices that are listed and marked for this use.
Flyingsod likes this.
don_resqcapt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to don_resqcapt19 For This Useful Post:
Flyingsod (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 01:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
The NEC provides for the use of #16 and #18 conductors in 240.4(D)(1)&(2). The adjustment and correction factors must be applied based on the conditions of use.
The overcurrent protection would have to be Class CC, J or T fuses as the section requires all other types of overcurrent devices to be specifically listed and marked for use with the smaller conductor size. I am not aware of any devices that are listed and marked for this use.
Interesting. It wasn't in the shop code book wish Is old. It's highlighted in my code book though which means it wss a new addition in 2008. Shop consensus is that the yours of breakers or fuses listed for use with 16 and 18 gavge wire are the types you'd use in a control panel. Like the din rail mounted stuff.

Thanks for the correction Don_resqcapt19, it's appreciated.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk
Flyingsod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #6
Band Member

Rewards Points: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kraemer View Post
Hi,

Its specs say that it is rated for temperatures up to 200 deg C. This temperature rating is good enough for the heated area where I hope to use this wire
Is 200 ˚C your ambient temp ?
, but I want to make sure that it also has the required ampacity for my application.

My maximum current draw on any single wire would be 5.625 amps. Can anyone tell me where I can find a table that shows the ampacity for 16 AWG wire
Again ... you need to know your ambient temp.
with an explanation as to whether I have to adjust the rating for my higher temperatures?
Of course !

16awg is 16awg ... different cable jackets withstand more heat

Thanks in advance,
Paul

As Telsa mentioned, the Mfr will have this info for you. You will need to give them your ambient temp to get an ampacity thou ...

It will also depend on where this wire will be going, as to whether or not your subject to NEC rules.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote