208V receptacle and 120V receptacle - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree24Likes
  • 4 Post By telsa
  • 2 Post By Bird dog
  • 7 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 2 Post By Greg Sparkovich
  • 3 Post By Majewski
  • 1 Post By ejon1801
  • 3 Post By frenchelectrican
  • 2 Post By Speedy Petey
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 06:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14
Default 208V receptacle and 120V receptacle

Hello everyone:

Before I ask the question, I want everyone to know I am NOT an electrician and I do not have the experience. This is due to the fact that this may seem like a fairly easy question.

Im want to install a 208V receptacle and some 120V receptacles in the same room/building. From the breaker panel, I "believe" I will use double pole 20A breaker for the 208V receptacle and for the 120V I will use 15A single pole breaker . From what I've researched, the 120V receptacle will need only one hot , one neutral, and one ground conductors. However, the 208V receptacle will need (two) hots , one ground, and one neutral. My question is what is it about the double pole breaker that allow one to bring two hots to the 208V receptacle? Will the breaker panel require a main breaker since I have these two different types of receptacles OR it doesnt matter? Finally are these values correct for what Im trying to do? Again, Im not experienced, even though this maybe a fairly simple question. Thanks in advance
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017, 06:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25,898

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejon1801 View Post
Hello everyone:

Before I ask the question, I want everyone to know I am NOT an electrician and I do not have the experience. This is due to the fact that this may seem like a fairly easy question.

Im want to install a 208V receptacle and some 120V receptacles in the same room/building. From the breaker panel, I "believe" I will use double pole 20A breaker for the 208V receptacle and for the 120V I will use 15A single pole breaker . From what I've researched, the 120V receptacle will need only one hot , one neutral, and one ground conductors. However, the 208V receptacle will need (two) hots , one ground, and one neutral. My question is what is it about the double pole breaker that allow one to bring two hots to the 208V receptacle? Will the breaker panel require a main breaker since I have these two different types of receptacles OR it doesnt matter? Finally are these values correct for what Im trying to do? Again, Im not experienced, even though this maybe a fairly simple question. Thanks in advance
See the terms of this Forum.

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:10 AM   #3

????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017, 08:13 AM   #4

I do not see what is wrong with this question..It seems like a typical question to be posted by for forum full of electricians.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:26 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,726

No one but electricians (and helpers or apprentices) are supposed to be here is Telsa's point. Mr Engineer please call an electrician.
The_Modifier and Majewski like this.

Last edited by Bird dog; 03-12-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #6
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,166

Thanks for stopping by.

One thing before the mods catch you.
What is your engineering speciality?

Go and sin no more:

Hail Mary full of Grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed are thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.
Holy Mary Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death Amen.

Last edited by Southeast Power; 03-12-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,010

Welcome aboard!

Seems that would be a question easily answered by an 'electrical engineer'.

I'd see a lawyer and sue the college that bestowed that degree on you.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
Old 03-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #8
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,166

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Welcome aboard!

Seems that would be a question easily answered by an 'electrical engineer'.

I'd see a lawyer and sue the college that bestowed that degree on you.
Mech,
I see you checked out my Suncoast Facebook page.
I posted some pics and was wondering if seeing beer cans scattered around job sites and people sitting in a bar is too much old school charm to be PC these days.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:24 AM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Power View Post
Mech,
I see you checked out my Suncoast Facebook page.
I posted some pics and was wondering if seeing beer cans scattered around job sites and people sitting in a bar is too much old school charm to be PC these days.
I'm kind of old school for that type question maybe.

I remember taking a few swigs of blackberry brandy in the morning on cold job sites. But not drinking beer on the job while working. Some guys but not me would drink a beer or two at lunch but not while actually working. Leaving cans around on a site is in poor taste.

I have no problem with stopping by the bar on the way home or picking up a bottle on the way home and sitting back with a glass at home.

I hate all things to do with PC. But anything portraying a blue collar worker as a beer guzzling semi alcy is just poor taste.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
Old 03-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #10
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 2,774

If you buy me donuts I'll answer this.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 279

I'd like to offer some free advice:
Don't do this project. Please.
It's a safety issue.
There is more to doing electrical work that "black wire goes to X and white wire goes to Z". There are techniques that are obvious to us that may be totally overlooked by a novice.
You admit that you know nothing- and that's great that you are honest about it - so please hire an electrician. Because honestly, what you are asking is so basic that an electrician wouldn't even bother thinking to ask your questions.

No one is here to sell you our services, so please don't see it that way. We get to deal with botched up safety issues and it's not funny.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #12
Big nosed attic troll

It's too late. I have donuts already.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #13

1. I did not see anywhere in the rules that said I had to be an electrician to join or post questions. I guess I overlooked that.

2. Thought Id just get a simple response, since it is supposedly easy.

3. Since I clearly dont belong here...I will simply leave, and not post again. Have a nice day
The_Modifier likes this.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #14
Big nosed attic troll

I love when they leave off with chitty bait posts..... Just go.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #15
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Sorry .,, The guys did make a point here and there is a sister site they can answer your question on this one.,,

If anyone wondering if I am drinking coffee ? ya a little but not today .,,

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
Majewski (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 556

frenchelectrican (03-12-2017)
Closed Thread