240v heater bypass - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Garygood
  • 1 Post By dmxtothemax
  • 1 Post By macmikeman
  • 1 Post By micromind
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 4 Post By MechanicalDVR

Old 12-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Default 240v heater bypass

Hey there, I wired up a couple 240v heaters using a low voltage thermostat and relay that I had kicking around instead of buying a line voltage thermostat. I also have a 240v wifi relay that I have here and I want to hook it up to my google home. So the idea is, the heater works as programmed by the low voltage thermostat but if I want to bypass the thermostat I can trigger the wifi relay to bypass. My question is, would there be any issues if the wifi relay was on, and the thermostat kicked on after for some reason. I know each line would be the same voltage potential so I feel like it should be ok, and it would almost be like you were running the wires in parallel, but I just wanted to get a second opinion in case there was some issue with the current taking the path of least resistance and having the circuit not function properly. I've included a picture of the circuit drawn as it currently is:

i.imgur.com/YYHQRXb.png

And here is what I'd like to do:

i.imgur.com/3hfhyou.jpg

Thanks for any help!!
Ryan_wickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2017, 11:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 8

Why are there this kind of entry’s on an electrican chat board

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wildleg and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
Garygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,376

No safety problems
all good
Ryan_wickens likes this.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dmxtothemax For This Useful Post:
Ryan_wickens (12-25-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2017, 02:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
No safety problems
all good
Thanks!! Merry Christmas

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2017, 03:15 AM   #5
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,305

I wanna learn more about this electricity takes the path of least resistance malarky.
B-Nabs likes this.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:32 PM   #6
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,678

Relay contacts can be paralleled, as many as you want. This way, one or more relays will energize the load.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to micromind For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (12-26-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 07:03 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,376

Quote - [ I wanna learn more about this electricity takes the path of least resistance malarky.]

One of many urban myths !
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:32 AM   #8
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
Relay contacts can be paralleled, as many as you want. This way, one or more relays will energize the load.
Going to say this is done all the time in control work, not sure why it's a mystery to some.
micromind likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garygood View Post
Why are there this kind of entry’s on an electrican chat board

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maybe because with all the various aspects of electrical work out there everyone doesn't always get the same level of experience across all those niches.

There are many control/instrument guys that can't bend a box offset and many construction guys that can bend a saddle with a rising double offset and no ability to wire up a 3-way switch or install a t-stat in their own house.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Maybe because with all the various aspects of electrical work out there everyone doesn't always get the same level of experience across all those niches.

There are many control/instrument guys that can't bend a box offset and many construction guys that can bend a saddle with a rising double offset and no ability to wire up a 3-way switch or install a t-stat in their own house.
This is very true. I've only been in the trade for 2 years as an apprentice and I would normally wire control on the low voltage side but in this situation had an extra 220 volt relay with a wifi controlled coil which is perfect for what I want.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:18 AM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_wickens View Post
This is very true. I've only been in the trade for 2 years as an apprentice and I would normally wire control on the low voltage side but in this situation had an extra 220 volt relay with a wifi controlled coil which is perfect for what I want.

As long as the relay contacts can handle the load.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 274

Mech is right, there are so many aspects to electrical work that you never truly master them all. As you move forward in your career you tend to fall into a niche as you settle in on one area. That's what makes this forum so invaluable, there are people all over the country with different levels of expertise in many different areas. I myself have benefited from just reading the different posts. My career path was mostly troubleshooting and repair of industrial/commercial control and electrical systems. After 35 years in the business I am still learning new stuff. This is what I do so I'm good at it and in high demand, point is that I know the other aspects but may have to question some things. I was always taught you should learn 3 new things a day or the day was a waste to your mind, doesn't matter what. Oh BTW your idea will be perfectly fine as long as contacts are rated for load as was pointed out. Just be sure to watch your phases and remember there will be a back feed on one contactor load side if one or other is energized. I do this arrangement all the time and leave myself tags in case I forget, but I also have several hundred to deal with. Not heaters but are lighting and power controls on EM systems.
GeneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneC View Post
Mech is right, there are so many aspects to electrical work that you never truly master them all. As you move forward in your career you tend to fall into a niche as you settle in on one area. That's what makes this forum so invaluable, there are people all over the country with different levels of expertise in many different areas. I myself have benefited from just reading the different posts. My career path was mostly troubleshooting and repair of industrial/commercial control and electrical systems. After 35 years in the business I am still learning new stuff. This is what I do so I'm good at it and in high demand, point is that I know the other aspects but may have to question some things. I was always taught you should learn 3 new things a day or the day was a waste to your mind, doesn't matter what. Oh BTW your idea will be perfectly fine as long as contacts are rated for load as was pointed out. Just be sure to watch your phases and remember there will be a back feed on one contactor load side if one or other is energized. I do this arrangement all the time and leave myself tags in case I forget, but I also have several hundred to deal with. Not heaters but are lighting and power controls on EM systems.
Thanks and yeah all contacts are correctly
rated, and I made sure to indicate phase from phase clearly for myself and the next guy when I sell the house.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_wickens View Post

But your profile is misleading your calling yourself an electrician
electricguy is offline   Reply With Quote