Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

3 phase panel wiring

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Dennis Alwon 
#1 ·
Hi All
I am currently in Asia (thailand) and recently purchased a used 3 phase Sq D panel. The service I currently have is single phase 220vac 2 wire (hot/neutral). I was reading a topic here that said you CAN wire single phase to a 3 phase service panel but lose a third of the slots for breakers.

I am not bound by NEC here or any other local codes (they possibly exist on paper but in practicality they don't).

With the 2 wire system and I have enclosed photos of the service panel can I wire all three of the phase terminals with the hot leg and then the neutral to the N terminal on the right of the breakers ? I am suggesting to splice off the main with 2 more wires (split bolt connector)so that all the bus bars receive power. Will that allow me the use of all the breaker slots ? I am aware its not conventional and perhaps will receive some comments to that effect. I have a service panel to each one of the floors...basement....first floor and then second floor. Main breaker disconnect is located separate from all the service panels. They are 12 slot SQ D Qo breakers. Please let me know if it is possible (not whether it is code) as im pretty sure its NOT LOL My intent is to expand the number of breakers available on the first floor. In case you are wondering the panel you see cost $100 usd and a new service panel + Main + breakers would be a couple hundred dollars more.

the wiring you see is from the previous contractor and i haven't removed any of it yet.
sorry for the long post all suggestions are welcome.

many thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Reactions: randas
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.