3-Way Switch: Why did one fail? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree22Likes
  • 1 Post By Helmut
  • 1 Post By John Valdes
  • 6 Post By lighterup
  • 1 Post By Shmuel93
  • 2 Post By glen1971
  • 5 Post By telsa
  • 5 Post By B-Nabs
  • 1 Post By wildleg
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 06:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default 3-Way Switch: Why did one fail?

Folks, Sam here. I'm new to the community and appreciate you reading my post. I'm a mechanical engineer and do my best around the house with wiring projects. Recently, I installed an LED-Dimmable compatible Lutron dimmer in a 3-way switch system: two switches that control a fixture with dimmable LEDs. Before I replaced one of the switches with a dimmer, the system worked just fine. Then, once I installed the dimmer, the dimmer properly controlled the light, but the other switch did nothing when the dimmer switch was in the OFF position (when dimmer was ON, other switch could toggle it ON and OFF). I'm confused because I thought I clearly identified the common wire with a multimeter (120V AC) and used the two traveler wires as directed in the switch diagram. After throwing in the towel, I hooked the original switch back in with the common to the common pole, and the two travelers connected accordingly. But now, the behavior persists! The other switch still doesn't work in the way I described above. What did I do wrong here, guys? Your help would be so much appreciated.
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2019, 06:45 PM   #2
Russian Bot

Rewards Points: 3,901

Ibtl
The_Modifier likes this.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Ibtl
Helmut, entschuldigen bitte Sie meine Ignorance, but I just checked the forum rules and terms of service and not sure why this thread would get locked. just looking for some professional advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 138

Switch the two switches and see if the problem persists

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 976

the problem is: it is miswired.

a three way consists of two travelers, and a point wire. at one end the point wire goes to the fixture, at the other it is the feed (hot). The neutral wire is passed through. not sure what this common wire you are talking about is.

what is the model number of the dimmer you installed ?
Old 04-09-2019, 08:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildleg View Post
the problem is: it is miswired.

a three way consists of two travelers, and a point wire. at one end the point wire goes to the fixture, at the other it is the feed (hot). The neutral wire is passed through. not sure what this common wire you are talking about is.

what is the model number of the dimmer you installed ?
What if it is a dead end 3way?

Old 04-09-2019, 08:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,346

Shmuel.
Please take a few minutes and fill out your profile. I linked it to you in a PM.....Thanks in Advance.
The_Modifier likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Valdes For This Useful Post:
The_Modifier (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #8
Can't sign em..forget em

Rewards Points: 10,046

Hi.
I'm Lighterup.
I'm a licensed electrician and have always wanted to dabble in
electrical engineering. I'm sure I could join you at work
cause after all , it's just electrical engineering, and even though I
don't know much about electrical engineering , surely I could figure out
something for me to do and I wouldn't expect all your wages , just some.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:59 PM   #9

Wow, people on here are such trolls. Congrats, trolling a twentysomething on a wiring question. Mazel tov, you've made it very far
lighterup likes this.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:14 PM   #10

I figured the issue out, thanks to nobody here. One of you idiot hillbilly American electricians wired the circuits unsequentially. As you were
Old 04-09-2019, 10:59 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmuel93 View Post
I figured the issue out, thanks to nobody here. One of you idiot hillbilly American electricians wired the circuits unsequentially. As you were
Do you expect to get paid for doing work in your profession? Well so do we.. We go to school and have years and years of experience and I'm not speaking for everyone, but I am NOT giving any of mine away... Several guys on here can (and probably have) taught the odd engineer better ways to do their job, or how to do it right.. Be careful before you start running us into the ground..
circuitman1 and tmessner like this.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:22 AM   #12

Guys, you are cracking me up. My intent was to let you know that I'm somewhat scientifically inclined and would be able to understand your recommendations. Sorry you were so triggered by it, but glad you are confident in running wires through a wall. Interested to hear your thoughts on the reiability of an FDP link for low voltage differential signaling between cameras and serializers and whether the risk of insertion los is worth the reduction in EMF from analog systems. Oh wait, you don't know, and that's why you aren't paid an engineer salary. Instead, I end up fixing your mistakes. LOL
Old 04-10-2019, 12:32 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 25,344

Shmuel... I've fixed many a mistake by an EE... 'cause I'm last in line actually producing the work.

I've never had an EE fix my work. I don't see how that's even possible.

They do like to come out and photograph my results -- so they can then brag.
The Following User Says Thank You to telsa For This Useful Post:
lighterup (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 12:37 AM   #14
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 466

Quote:
Guys, you are cracking me up. My intent was to let you know that I'm somewhat scientifically inclined and would be able to understand your recommendations. Sorry you were so triggered by it, but glad you are confident in running wires through a wall. Interested to hear your thoughts on the reiability of an FDP link for low voltage differential signaling between cameras and serializers and whether the risk of insertion los is worth the reduction in EMF from analog systems. Oh wait, you don't know, and that's why you aren't paid an engineer salary. Instead, I end up fixing your mistakes. LOL
The guy that miswired a three way switch is trying to be condescending now... that's rich.

Careful you don't rough up your lily little manicured hands doing real work douchebag.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2019, 01:03 AM   #15

The guy working on a house wired by... drumroll... Electricians
Old 04-10-2019, 01:12 AM   #16
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 466

Quote:
The guy working on a house wired by... drumroll... Electricians
Which was working fine until you started messing with it. There are many ways to wire a three way. Just because it didn't match the diagram in your switch manual doesn't mean it was wired wrong.

You're getting a hard time because the terms of use of the site clearly state that it's not a place to get DIY questions answered. And when you get all high and mighty about how much smarter than us you are (even though you're the one asking 1st year level questions), you're only going to be met with more hostility.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
zac, glen1971, circuitman1 and 2 others like this.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:26 AM   #17
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 976

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentonmakes View Post
What if it is a dead end 3way?

so on your dead end 3 ways the point wire isn't the fed hot ? interesting.

circuitman1 likes this.