30ma gfci - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By micromind
  • 1 Post By JoeSparky

Old 11-23-2019, 04:05 PM   #1

Default 30ma gfci

I need to hook some heat trace up and need it protected. I’d assume a 4-6 gfci breaker would have nussiance tripping. Is there a cheaper way to achieve 30ma or just find the breaker That’s meets this ?
Johnnyp is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,476

Not sure what heat trace is---is it the same as heat tape? Does the stuff plug in? If it is a plug in you have no choice if the receptacle is in an area that requires gfci. If it is direct wired then you don't need gfci unless the instructions call for it.

Floor heat has gfci protection in the T-stat so I am not certain about what you have
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 402

Is this a commercial application or residential? I have installed hard wired heat tracing on 8" chiller pipes on the roof and used regular GFCI breakers without a problem. It was a system with T-stats and indicator lights. But then, I have not been back to check on it. I would try the GFCI for personal and if it does not work then look for the GFCI for equipment. What did the instructions say?
kb1jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #4
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,904

Just about every heat trace I've installed has 30 ma GFI breakers. Very rarely do they trip, if they do, there's usually a problem somewhere.
glen1971 likes this.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,858

We've got a fair amount that has never had a GFI breaker on it, some with 5 mA breakers and the rest (obviously) is on 33 mA Breakers. I don't know that the 5 mA trips any more often than any other. Typically, when there is a fault it will trip the breaker regardless of the GFI rating. If there is only a bit of moisture in an end or power kit, that might make a difference.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:44 PM   #6
Certified Organic A-Hole

Rewards Points: 1,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
Not sure what heat trace is---is it the same as heat tape? Does the stuff plug in? If it is a plug in you have no choice if the receptacle is in an area that requires gfci. If it is direct wired then you don't need gfci unless the instructions call for it.

Floor heat has gfci protection in the T-stat so I am not certain about what you have
Depending what it is for it does need GFCI protection, for example, 427.22 requires it for pipeline and vessels. Likewise, 426.28 requires it for snow melting and de-icing equipment.

It does NOT however specify class A (which is the 4-6mA trip) as the protection for receptacles does in 210.8. This means that a 30mA device can be used (IIRC this is class E protection).
pudge565 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:03 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,507

Old parallel CH BR afci breakers were clearly labeled on the side as having 30ma ground fault protection. That is the only time I have ever willingly installed an arc fault breaker. Gfpe breaker for a third of the cost
MTW likes this.
JoeSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:08 PM   #8
MTW

Rewards Points: 9,478

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
Old parallel CH BR afci breakers were clearly labeled on the side as having 30ma ground fault protection. That is the only time I have ever willingly installed an arc fault breaker. Gfpe breaker for a third of the cost
GE and Eaton BR won't work for that now.
MTW is online now   Reply With Quote